Finally made it into the 6's...love the Shinko Hookup

Thanks man. Looking at the picture you posted, you'll need to lower the rear. 2 inches will be a noticeable improvement and increase the preload some, but I suggest NOT to stiffen the shock completely. Leave a little bit of squat so your suspension can help control the bike and traction.

For me, slipping the clutch longer in first has actually worked out better by the numbers that I've compared with different launch techniques and with ZERO issues with wheelies....probably for 70-80 feet while being pretty aggressive twisting the throttle back. This is also on a Shinko 003 ultra soft at 26 pounds cold and about 65 degrees ambient temp. I haven't needed a "Hook up". I have videos of being off the clutch and WOT by the tree, but I always began to wheelie on the runs, even floating the front over the 60 beams which was picking up my back wheel and showing slower 60 times.

Keep going at it man. It takes getting used to. Don't make a major change each week/trip. Give yourself time to get used to one setup to increase consistency or make most of your planned changes at the same time, then get used to it so you make the minor adjustments for improvement from there.(in this case)

Thanks man. Looking at the picture you posted, you'll need to lower the rear. 2 inches will be a noticeable improvement and increase the preload some, but I suggest NOT to stiffen the shock completely. Leave a little bit of squat so your suspension can help control the bike and traction.

For me, slipping the clutch longer in first has actually worked out better by the numbers that I've compared with different launch techniques and with ZERO issues with wheelies....probably for 70-80 feet while being pretty aggressive twisting the throttle back. This is also on a Shinko 003 ultra soft at 26 pounds cold and about 65 degrees ambient temp. I haven't needed a "Hook up". I have videos of being off the clutch and WOT by the tree, but I always began to wheelie on the runs, even floating the front over the 60 beams which was picking up my back wheel and showing slower 60 times.

Keep going at it man. It takes getting used to. Don't make a major change each week/trip. Give yourself time to get used to one setup to increase consistency or make most of your planned changes at the same time, then get used to it so you make the minor adjustments for improvement from there.(in this case)

I'm planning to lower it soon...and I'll work the shock a little as you suggested and see how it feels. I agree about slipping the clutch longer...I've noticed my launches are better when I do, but as soon as it's out and I try to go WOT...the wheel jumps up and I have to back off or short shift into 2nd. That hurts my times I'm sure...

I was reading threads trying to pick up some tips on launching...and came across one of my own I started last year. So I'll just update my progress and hope someone will answer a question or two for me. My season just started and I'm down to 6.42 now with 60's in the low 1.7's...still swb though. I put an auto-shifter on it and set it for 10.5k (is that about right?).

I'm launching 4-4.5k right now and having a hard time getting wot without the wheel coming up. Another racer is telling me to launch a lot higher and work the clutch better....I've tried launching harder and the bike justs gets crazy. Another guy on a ZX14 took his advice and just wrapped the **** out of it and pulled a 1.585 60' with a 6.31 ET....granted he is stretched some, but I'm wondering what you guys think of running it up to 9k or so and just slipping the clutch slower?

MAM Wheel.jpg

So has anyone tried to run a 13' or newer busa with ABS? I wanted to hit the track but was worried about the front end popping up if I try to do a hard launch from the line. Will the ABS minimize that and keep the front wheel down. Basically Stock, ECU Flash, K&N Oil/Air filters, Yoshi R77 Full Racing Exhaust, and PC5. Also, it is an 1/8th mile track

I couldn't answer that and you should probably post this as a new thread...keeps the confusion down some as we are looking for specific answers to different questions.

Launch techniques vary a lot. On my SWB '05 I liked to leave between 5 and 6k. My best 60's were high 1.5's lowered and strapped. On my gen-2 my standard leave is the same, even stretched I just open the throttle faster. I've had some success leaving at a lower rpms and getting the clutch out and throttle fully open by the time I got to the tree. I've got a couple buddys who leave at 9k. I really don't know that the RPM you leave at is that big of a deal as it takes very little throttle opening to have a big effect on RPM. In other words, what happens to the throttle after the clutch starts to come out is way more important than launch rpm.

Back