Finally installed MPS clutch mod and love it!

Haya01B

Registered
I finally installed the MPS clutch mod I got a while back and the shinko rear tire. I also pulled the forks and dropped them off at a local mechanic shop and had those old leaky fork seals replaced. I was skeptical at first about the clutch mod but now I am just tickled at how much it has improved throttle response with that simple azz mod. I wish I had done it a long time ago. The bike even sounds different! I love it and will definitly recommend it for any Busa owner that wants to let that true performance out of their bike. I am going to install some HD clutch springs tomorrow to improve the grip on those plates. I think she's breaking lose in third gear. I did'nt take any pics of the MPS install because I spent a little time looking for my socket to remove the nut holding the inner basket on and put it on so quick it was too late to go back. I will definitely take some pics of the spring install. Later!

mps_clutch.jpg

when you install stiffer springs don't forget the slave cylinder support.unless you have a billet sprocket cover

I just installed the stiffer springs today and took some pics. It is raining pretty steady here in NC and we were under tornado warnings most of the day. As for the questions about the reason for the mod, when you ride a low speeds say for instance in a parking lot and you pull back on the throttle and you get that jerking crappy sputtering response. That is your clutch basket freaking with you. When you are at a stop light or sign and pull off and get the pull and then die down then pull again response. That is your clutch basket screwing with you again. When you do the MPS mod which on of the cheaper mods that can be easily removed and returned to stock form you simply lock your otherwise loose clutch basket in tight so that it does not float and give that crappy feeling when you take off or at low speeds. There is however one very important warning that is associated with this mod and that is possible wheel lock up under hard down shifting. I have experimented with it a little and have not had it happen yet so I have been self aware enough not to down shift in such conditions with out preparing my self for some suprise response. Anyway I can't wait to see how it performs with the stiffer springs I installed. I had them laying around from a previous clutch job but turned ugly because they broke my clutch slave cylinder mount which I now have a exoticcycle slave support installed on it and that end is pretty much taken care of.

Heres the pic of the HD springs being installed. Spring to right is the HD notice the beefier coils.

photo038.jpg

So why did you choose the MPS Kit over th Brock Ultra Lite Mod? I am curious and interested in doing the same thing.

So why did you choose the MPS Kit over th Brock Ultra Lite Mod? I am curious and interested in doing the same thing.
It is a whole hell of a lot cheaper.  Don't get me wrong though, I know brocks part is prob. quality product but I did not have anyone on tap that I could go one on one with and get a good idea of what to expect from such a mod.  Brocks part is going for the average hit of about $200 frog skins as with other similar vendors with the same style product.  This ring from MPS was around $30 or $40 frog skins without the HD springs around $60 with.  I figured what the hell, if I don't like the out come I can simply remove it and only be out of around $60 bucks if I can't sell it and make back some of it on the back end.  The brocks mod on the other hand will set me back a lot more.  From my understanding it is the same thing so what's the point of paying more.  I have heard of some people welding parts together, but then you are kind of stuck with that mod unless you feel like grinding off welds.

I was kind of skeptical at first because the part was so cheap and looked so simple that I just pissed away my money, but now I am glad I got it.  

Give it a try.  I would definitly recommend it.  Here is another option I just thought of and when I get my ducks in a row I might just consider it and that's the billet inner basket that has the mod built into it.  That is another peice of mind.   A nice strong billet basket never hurt nobody.  They start munching away at $450 smackers and up.

Thanks. Good info. I hear ya. I am definitely on a budget. But, thanks to this economic stimulus $$$, I may grab on of these and a new helmet.

I will have to send a thank you note to the government for givingme $600 now, that my grandkids will pay back later!!

Thanks again.

Oh yeah, did you get it from a board member or directly from MPS??

hmmm...i have never experienced any kind of "jerking" riding the clutch at low speed in stop and go traffic or parking lot or whatever...guess im lucky then,glad the mod worked for you.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
There is however one very important warning that is associated with this mod and that is possible wheel lock up under hard down shifting. [/quote]
If this is true. this would be the first reason I wouldn't put it in my bike....

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:
<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
There is however one very important warning that is associated with this mod and that is possible wheel lock up under hard down shifting. [/quote]
If this is true. this would be the first reason I wouldn't put it in my bike....[/quote]
Believe it. I had it on my 01 and used to ride the curves would get a lot of tail dancing on braking...the bike did it anyway but this made it a bit worse. Also you will need to triple you grip strength casuse it becomes a pain to modulate the clutch while moving along slow in first gear say like in line on teh way to the base or something. I used to get to work and had sever forearm burn. I wouldnt use it for street use if you plan on moving along slow in first a lot. But thats just me.

Sorry i had brocks with the heavy duty springs..

I am in NC where I am originaly from at this moment.  I left my bike behind because the AZ thing was'nt going to be a permenant move.  I have not noticed any clutch pressure difference and I took it out just a few minutes ago and loved it.  Third gear slipping issue is gone.  I don't really ride the curves as hard as I use to now so I may not see the wheel lock up issue.  I think it was the whole reason Suzuki made the clutch basket loose in the first place.  If you like the twisties then leave it alone because you are probably going to be doing ome serious down shifting.  If you are like me and like to tighten down on her in the straight aways then it is a real high!  

(Frog Skins) Go that from the movie Life!

Maybe the different type made a difference. I had the bock welded with the springs...was super light compared to what i took out of the bike.

i read this thread today,and then rode to mps,they are right down the road to get one of these.35$ i paid and it is the best bang for the buck!!!!!!i wanted it for eaiser hard launches.now i can slip the clutch with a lot more control so no more wheelspin.for now the mps part is better on my budget.i also got the slave cyl. support.i would recomend hd springs.i kept my stock 3000 mile ones and now it feels as if the clutch slipps a little when powershifting although hardly noticeable.may do the springs next week.thanks very much for this thread as i never knew there was a cheap way to do this.

Hell Yeah!  I am looking a some oil on my kick stand button that contacts the kick stand up position.  Hope it is nothing serious.  Will take a look tomorrow.

i read this thread today,and then rode to mps,they are right down the road to get one of these.35$ i paid and it is the best bang for the buck!!!!!!i wanted it for eaiser hard launches.now i can slip the clutch with a lot more control so no more wheelspin.for now the mps part is better on my budget.i also got the slave cyl. support.i would recomend hd springs.i kept my stock 3000 mile ones and now it feels as if the clutch slipps a little when powershifting although hardly noticeable.may do the springs next week.thanks very much for this thread as i never knew there was a cheap way to do this.
face7.gif
thats is how I feel after trying to read the green words, that color should be
ban.gif

Back