Finally did it ...

OB_Jeff

Registered
Yep, the Busa has tipped over. I was kinda proud I lasted 1.5 years without suffering the ill will of fellow busa owners. Now I'm pissed. For you who haven't experience this wonderful pain, you'll get your turn. I followed the suggestions and was paranoid careful and the damn thing still fell over. In gear, level ground, hell, I even carried a piece of 1 x 4 to help support the damn stand in doubtful situations. Unbelievable. They make stands that hold up Honda Goldwings. I would guess they weigh a lot more than a busa. What gives! I now have $800+ worth of scratch job. With a $500 deductable this is hardly worth turning in. There has got to be a way to go after Suzuki on this. Way too many experienced motorcyclist have suffered this situation.

Does anybody have a clean, non-scratched left side stock exhaust can off a 99 Busa they want to sell? I was going to get a new set of Akropovics this year but the wonderful stand took care of that idea. I need a clean left side mirror as well. The new ones are $50.00. If someone has gone carbon fiber, I'm interested in your old mirror.

Generator Cap - Scratched
Left Side Lower Cowling - Badly Scratched
Nose Cowling - Badly Scratched
Rear left side can - Scratched
Mirror - Badly Scratched
Left Side Clutch Lever - Scratched
Front Wheel Fender - Scratched

All due to a tipover?

I'm not sure exactly how it happened. The bike was parked in my driveway (in gear).
The drive way is almost level. 2 degrees maybe. To be sure it was locked in gear, I developed a habit of rolling the bike backwards (with me on it) to be extra sure. I had just gotten off. Even my extreme paranoia with the warnings all over this site, I got burned. All I remember is someone replied: "It will happen to you". And it did.

Walked into the house and came back out and it was over. The stand was 1/2 - 3/4 way up. I live in a pretty remote area and it was not windy. No pooch to screw with it and the family wasn't home.

Does the Y2K mirrors and exhausts fit the 99?

Jeff,

You say that place is slightly off level and that you roll bike BACKWARDS in gear until it stops against compression before putting it down on sidestand.

That would mean the off-level is in a direction that makes bike wanna roll BACK, right?

If direction of being off-level makes bike wanna roll forward, then there's explanation for what went wrong in your case, as you should then roll bike FORWARD in gear until it stops against compression.

It should be absolutely impossible to have the Busa roll off the sidestand on backwards-sloping grounds IMHO!

Yes, Animal is right, always roll it forwards no matter what way the ground slopes. That way it can only put pressure back against the kickstand.

i was just waiting for it---almost posted to Jeff saying numbnuts is gonna dog you out, figured you'd be around eventually... :)

hey numb go resurrect the other thread so Jeff can confess his sin by typing "mine".

Come on, Jeff, the "detectives" here wanna know how this happened.

Was your "routine" indeed unfortunately wrong and was this "an accident waiting to happen"?

We all make mistakes, although if yours was one then it's a darn expensive one, and it shouldn't be possible in the 1st place if Suzuki had done their homework on that sidestand!

Done 'lanta!!! :)

Confess your sins all of you on the thread 'HAS YOURS FALLEN OFF THE SIDE STAND'

Confess and be cleansed (or something like that anyway!!)

Nuts

He he. You guys are rough! I felt the clutch / gears grab the best (by feel) by rolling it backwards until the damn wheels were sliding (not really, slight exaggeration here). The bike was parked perpendicular to the driveway slant. (It really isn't enough to mention). I've left it on much worse hills but usually nose forward (uphill) versus perpendicular. I'll certainly take the advice above cuz I can tell you that my method above didn't work for shi@#$%. All I can guess is I didn't push the stand far enough forward. Be careful guys. You'll be ballistic when you see the damage done by a standing still tipover with a 540 lb+ bike. Thanks.

Back