Finally, a judge with some common sense!

Strife: I agree with that but in trying to compare to alimony you wouldnt continue to live with your spouse. I know this is completly different I am just trying to connect lines as why the lawyer even thought this was plausible.

If you can drop your kids off at the local fire station and walk away without any repercussions, you should be able to dump an 18 year old for being a super *****.

Though, I guess we should consider that the kid being an ungrateful spoiled brat is in large part due to the way the parent's brought her up.

So not that I agree with her but I just like looking at things from different point of views sometimes.

Could you technically argue, like in a divorce, that she is entitled to the life style she was used to living being under the parents roof? Just like the lower income earner is allowed collect alimony to continue to live the lifestyle they were a custom too.

Just food for thought. And I'd like to hear opinions on that.

Let me just say that I have yet to understand where it's ever been an actual fact that either party in a divorce gets to "live the lifestyle they were accustomed to", minus the filthy rich I suppose. It's a huge misnomer IMHO, and I'm sure you can get plenty of Dads (and some Moms) that have to pay through the nose to an ex arguing that their lifestyle changed plenty trying to keep up with what the judges order anyway.

Omar and I have this discussion often - when a couple is together, whether both work or not, there's a pool of income. When there's a divorce, oftentimes that pool of income remains exactly the same, but it's now expected to be spread across two separate households. How is it possible for most families to ever maintain that same lifestyle, same income, TWO households? It's not...

Alimony has nothing to do with what this girl is trying to do to her parents, but to address your question - no, in a divorce it cannot be an expectation for any kid to get whatever they want or even all they had. That's just a sad but real fact of life. My divorce left me scrambling for ways to cut costs and save, and that meant things like no satellite TV for over a year, no going out, not even buying paper plates for a while (that little thing that you sometimes opt to use because you don't feel like worrying with dishes). I trimmed up my budget and my kids found out quickly that this was necessary for us to make it paycheck to paycheck and still have a roof over our heads and food on the table. I recall tough times as a kid, Dad was laid off, we were struggling to make ends meet, my parents divorced and everything turned upside down. To me, these are life lessons that help mold kids in to what they'll face one day. If parents are forced to keep their world perfect and flawless no matter what obstacles are in life, what lessons will they learn aside from "entitlement"? I'd rather my kids know reality so they can cope with it one day, just as I learned to do...

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

Last edited:
I especially like the fact that she was requesting $654.00 a week in child support. That's 34K annually or $16.35 an hour for being a disobedient child. Denied!

Good article that Wag posted on Facebook :thumbsup:

The Real Tragedy of the Rachel Canning Case*|*Devon Corneal

I'm certainly not a sue-happy person and I personally hate every single time I hear of yet another silly lawsuit in this country, but it kind of makes you wish the parents of this girl had recourse against the very people that interfered and only added to the chaos :rofl:

'eh, I think karma will bite 'em all enough in the end...only victims will remain the parents that were just trying to set some rules for their child and pretty much told "oh, you can't do that, but what you can do is pay and pay and pay for your daughter to be a spoiled brat and make stupid decisions" :banghead:

Only in America...inmates get an education / food / and a roof...there are numerous law suits entertained from inmates. I suppose anybody has the right to sue somebody else....it ties up the tax money + time for cases that have a more urgent need. It would be interesting to find out her families history / what gave her the idea to sue her own parents...aside from being a waste of time...case law + the process of discussion generally is an eye opener. For a generic further issue could an adopted child sue his / her biological parents for abandonment? Again there is the presence of lawyers and contracts...

Only in America...inmates get an education / food / and a roof...there are numerous law suits entertained from inmates. I suppose anybody has the right to sue somebody else....it ties up the tax money + time for cases that have a more urgent need. It would be interesting to find out her families history / what gave her the idea to sue her own parents...aside from being a waste of time...case law + the process of discussion generally is an eye opener. For a generic further issue could an adopted child sue his / her biological parents for abandonment? Again there is the presence of lawyers and contracts...

Just speculating, but I think the idea to sue simply came from shacking up in the house with a lawyer that saw a chance to make a name for himself with a "landmark" case :banghead:

Lawyers are the ruin of this country...so few have any true integrity anymore. They're in it for the money and to make a name for themselves, oh and to cheat the system, nothing more...losers...

How about a fine (increasing yearly registration fees or something of that nature) for losing a case with prejudice?

Even if they just pass the cost on to their clients, clients will quickly be able to see which lawyers are taking up crap cases. Also the lawyers will want to pick up terrible cases as frequently.

The effort of tort reform or frivolous lawsuit penalties to some degree fall on the lawyer who files the case...they may be responsible for a penalty and or the opposing legal fees. What is sad, for example, is the person who sued for hot coffee spilling in their lap and won.

I dislike frivolous lawsuits as much as the next guy, but the hot coffee case was legit.

Mcdonalds knew of the issue. Had tons of people burned. They continued to make the coffee at temps higher than anyone would expect because their market research showed most buyers didn't immediately drink it. So the super hot coffee was done to allow it to remain hot by the time the customer gets to their office.

The woman who got burned by the coffee didn't just get burned. She almost died from it.

Liebeck was hospitalized for eight days while she underwent skin grafting, followed by two years of medical treatment.

Here's some photos if you didnt see them before NSFW:

http://justicebeforecharity.org/images/stella/stella1.png
http://travis.pflanz.me/assets/stella_liebeck_burned_by_mcdonalds_coffee-620x360.jpg

I'm sure there's more online.

Liebeck sought to settle with McDonald's for $20,000 to cover her actual and anticipated expenses. Her past medical expenses were $10,500; her anticipated future medical expenses were approximately $2,500; and her loss of income was approximately $5,000 for a total of approximately $18,000. Instead, the company offered only $800.

Documents obtained from McDonald's showed that from 1982 to 1992 the company had received more than 700 reports of people burned by McDonald's coffee to varying degrees of severity.

The jurors apparently arrived at this figure from Morgan's suggestion to penalize McDonald's for one or two days' worth of coffee revenues, which were about $1.35 million per day.[2] The judge reduced punitive damages to $480,000, three times the compensatory amount, for a total of $640,000. The decision was appealed by both McDonald's and Liebeck in December 1994, but the parties settled out of court for an undisclosed amount less than $600,000

^ So the headline where she got millions is also false. Ended up with 600k and I bet her lawyer took at least half. I wouldn't take severe burns to the crotch for a $300k payday.

I'd love to see the daughter lose. Then maybe, just maybe the lawyer would learn his lesson and not try stupid cases.
If she loses who will pay her lawyer? The girl doesn't have any money, right? :cussing:

Boy, am I glad I don't live in NJ. You can't even pump your own gas there. What a joke!:banghead:
I should have know that they would have other stupid laws. No offense to anyone that lives there.
It's the politicians that make these stupid laws. Who do they think they are helping?

I know of a few people that kicked their kids out of the house at 18. They were told that from a very young age that
when they turned 18 they were out. After all 18 is an Adult, right. They want all the privileges of adulthood but don't want any of the downsides
of adulthood, maybe like have to work?

I agree totally that they (children) are not owed anything. If parents can afford collage and want to pay for it - then the child should be grateful.

Where is it written that when you bring a child into this world, that you have to pay and support them until they are through a University of their choice
for what ever degree that they desire? Or that you have to buy them a vehicle when they get their drivers license? Or that you have to feed them
whatever they want to eat etc. etc. etc.

The REAL world won't give them everything they want just because they think they deserve it.
If you want something you need to work for it - not hire a lawyer, to try and get it for you!

Yep I read that she moved back in with Mom & Dad, thats not a bad thing if a family unit is restored..

Back