Finally – My First Turbo Experience – 1/4 Mile and Powerhouse Motorcycle Feedback *PI

Re: Finally – My First Turbo Experience – 1/4 Mile and Powerhouse Motorcycle Feedback

The exhaust is not missing . . . and, a New York State Motorcycle Inspector cannot fail the bike because it has a turbo on it. It could be failed for how loud it is, which is totally at the discretion of the inspector. If some knucklehead dealer is going to fail your turbo because of what it is, it is time to move on. I've been a N.Y. State Motorcycle inspector for over twenty five years, and I will be more than happy to put a sticker on that bike . . .:beerchug:

Thank for clarification Frank.

Re: Finally – My First Turbo Experience – 1/4 Mile and Powerhouse Motorcycle Feedback

After watching video of first startup I'm curious how much if any exhaust/pressure you feel on your right leg/foot when it's down or when your riding ?
Do you feel an excessive amount of heat when moving ?

Thing sounds wicked :thumbsup:

I have wanted a turbo ever since I knew you could put one on a bike and as soon as this engine dies my plan is to look into the big bore with a turbo. Before anyone chimes in I don't know if its possible to have both but sounds like something I would want to try.
The only thing that worries me about a turbo is I have heard that they are not good in the twisties because if you go into boost in a curve your screwed ??? don't know why but I would have to get that question answered because I do curves more than anything.

...The only thing that worries me about a turbo is I have heard that they are not good in the twisties because if you go into boost in a curve your screwed ???....

People that don't have a turbo busa say that because they don't know any better. Those guys probably also talk about turbo lag on the bike. Those issues are not a concern, they are not an issue in the twisties. Boost is totally controllable, predictable, and smooth, it is not like riding a 250hp nitrous bike.

Frank did a top end build on my turbo bike this summer and i will agree everything about the customer service to the work they do there nothing but top notch the only problem i had there is not buying everything in their showroom hehe.

Great writeup . I felt like I was there .
How much did all things on that list cost for us dreamers if you don't mind me asking you or Frank ?
And Frank if you read this . Is his bill close to what a GenII would cost ?
Same list on a GenII what would power be ?

Also all looks great except those yooogly factory warning stickers :bowdown:

Not even close, probably around $4k for parts and another $1k for install/tune... ;)

Gen-II is a few hundred more depending how extreme you want to go... :beerchug:

very nice

People that don't have a turbo busa say that because they don't know any better. Those guys probably also talk about turbo lag on the bike. Those issues are not a concern, they are not an issue in the twisties. Boost is totally controllable, predictable, and smooth, it is not like riding a 250hp nitrous bike.

Thanks for clarifying . . . . whats turbo lag??? (never owned anything with a turbo)

very nice and I know frank and used to ride with a few people he knows, back in the day when he was on his kawaski at 7/11 on 231... I was on my 1987 honda hurricane white with red, frank is a stand up guy, If I still lived in N.Y. he would be the only guy I trust

wow. really interesting. i put my name in the hat for a group buy on rcc's and i'm hoping that enough names come up soon enough to where i just do it before i think about backing out, but your post put me at ease. i dunno about $7k tho. can i ask ya'll something? i already have a pc3 & have bought a brocks clutch mod but didn't buy springs. can i get by without all the extras?? leave the clutch alone except the mod?? and also why the extra bov?? is what comes with the normal stage 1 kit not good enough?? am i going to regret just putting the normal kit on without any extras?

wow. really interesting. i put my name in the hat for a group buy on rcc's and i'm hoping that enough names come up soon enough to where i just do it before i think about backing out, but your post put me at ease. i dunno about $7k tho. can i ask ya'll something? i already have a pc3 & have bought a brocks clutch mod but didn't buy springs. can i get by without all the extras?? leave the clutch alone except the mod?? and also why the extra bov?? is what comes with the normal stage 1 kit not good enough?? am i going to regret just putting the normal kit on without any extras?

The clutch with Brock's mod should be fine, depending on the final hp you plan on running. There are clutch springs that will hold 400 hp available, if necessary. Also, a Stage One does not come with a BOV, that is a $375 option . . . and the only regrets I ever hear from Stage One people is that after getting a taste of turbo power, they want more!:beerchug:

Another question to the original post: how do you insure a bike like this?

IG - This was a big concern for me. It was like a thorn in my mind. Ended up going to Progressive and they said I can add accessory coverage to the policy. I added an additional 8K and it cost me about 100 more a year. My insurance is 1200/YR all in. 27 years old no record and single. I think by default Progressive motorcycle insurance comes with extra 2K of accessory coverage. I made sure to keep my receipts and take tons of pictures so I there are no questions if it ever comes time for a claim. This has given me tremendous piece of mind.

KvHotDog4 - Basically turbo lag is how long it takes for boost to kick in. The fin has to "spool" up. Also, I have gotten low enough to where the bottom of my dump pipe scraped the pavement. I have zero issues with goign through the twisties. Also, as always you should alwys feel as one with the bike. The power/boost of the bike is very smooth and predictable.

Blanca - Thanks! Sometimes I will feel some heat but its nothign that is annoying as in a normal riding position your foot isn't that close. However, your right shoe will get dirty VERY fast.

I see you didn't take any pics of the intake side of the bike, just the exhaust dump.

So it was $7k all said and done for a 250hp Stage 1 kit installed, dynotune, and some TLC...

Mike,

Chalk that up to lazyness. I didn't even look at it, too busy riding and having fun.

Yeah about that maybe a few hundred less, I had the front lowered as well.

Very nice details. Bike looks great. Have fun.

Im curious as to what degree the turbo plays in your mileage

When your in the boost it drinks gas like you'd expect 250+hp to do........it uses ALOT. But off boost its pretty much typical busa mileage. Its all in the wrist :laugh:

That is one sweet ride.I bet with that exhaust note all heads turn when you're rolllin up..

It is possible to get the same or even better MPG than a stock bike when off boost. Due to the added torque and hp you usually go up at least a tooth in the front sprocket which lowers the cruising rpm. This also helps to prevent (not cure) wheelspin when you do boost.

Back