FInal prep before painting, done.

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
So i finished all my sanding and preparations to paint for tomorrow and figured I would give you guys some pictures, since I haven't posted any so far :laugh:. I had to repair the left fairing because it had a crack in it from the cheap frame sliders getting near ripped off. The repair came out really well and saved me 80 bucks buying a new fairing. I just had to sand down the scratches and then smoother out the whole fairing. I also put bondo on the front fender to get ride of the indented lines since I had the extra bondo.

The dash panels were a PAIN to sand down to smooth. For those, I had to start with 60 grit on a electric rotary sander to get the texture down, then used 220 to smooth it out more, and finished them up with the 400 grit that I sanded all the other fairings with. I guess it was also a pain because I had to bondo two, one inch holes from switches I used to have. If they don't come out good, I will just buy the carbon fiber ones.
Tomorrow at 9am I start painting. I got a Sherwin Williams ebony black (not china paint, I lied :moon:). I have a quart and a half of color to do them all so I should have plenty. 2 quarts of clear and my hardener, reducer, and black sealer. Cost me 220 bucks for everything plus 50 to rent the paint booth and all equipment. Total, this project has cost me less than 300. We will see how it all turns out tomorrow. I will take pics while in the booth and when I am done. Good pictures may not come for a week or two.

I have about 14 hours into this so far.

IMAG0400.jpg

IMAG0401.jpg

IMAG0402.jpg

looking good, let me know how much paint you end up using, i want to repaint mine but dont know how much to buy.

The guys there kept telling me just 1 quart but there are so many fairings on a busa, I had to get a half just to make sure.... I'll let you know.

couldnt you use sandable primer on the inners and sanded them smooth?? just asking cause im about to do the same thing to mine

Hey I sprayed mine with adhesion promote
So that the would stick better. It was bulldog.
Sometimes the primer doesn't stick as well as it should
To plastic so I'd put promotor on first.

I hate to be a downer, but I really don't like that bondo on the fairing. I would use flexible parts repair. Better yet a new fairing. Are you planning to primer surface then sand? I'm a bit concerned about the feathering plus bondo never looks right unless it is primed and sanded.

A quart and a half of color is a good idea, although black will probably cover pretty well so you may only need a quart if you have a decent HVLP or RP gun. Yes, you can use a urethane primer/surfacer to smooth the inner panels but if you were able to sand them smooth all the better.

I hope it turns out as well as you hope.

I used less than a quart to paint the entire bike. If I could figure out how to post a pic I would post some.

Well is it done yet!

And yes im rushing perfection! :thumbsup::bowdown::thumbsup::bowdown:

Back