Filthy Fuel Tank! [I'm back!]

KhandyRhedBhusa

Registered
formally long time member Hayaboosta03...

Hey fellas
i have a question about my fuel tank
Next sunday i will take apart my 2003 fuel tank to
1. Clean the tank
2. take out the fuel filter [believed to be gunked]
2. run a custom inline fuel filter outside the tank

for the past couple months, my injectors continually get clogged
with filth. The bike sounds like a 2 stroke, really down on power,
cuts out at over 7krpm, when bike is warm it runs a lil better etc.
so my method to remedy this is take off the injectors.
spray the insides of the injectors with brake cleaner.
before spraying, i can barely see the basket screens...
after its silver and much brighter.
i can do this all in 15mins i have done this so much lol
once back in, the bike is stronger than ever, spins the tire
in first, sounds amazing etc...

i want to stop this at the source.
no amount of cleaner, type of cleaner has been able to prevent this
so its time to dig deeper... the only thing made better is
by running brake cleaner in less than a 1/4 tank of fuel [i always use 93]
and thereafter i have been able to hit the rev limiter in first, where as
everything else i have tried, have not been able to.

how would i go about cleaning the tank?
my method would consist of brake cleaner, and gas
swish around and dump out?

hmm could be bad news... MOST of the time the gunk is "rust" (needs to be inspected closely) other than using a coating, you need to replace the tank.. The rust issue needs fixed for good and cleaning wont do it usually.. some of the professionally applied tank liners on the other had have had pretty good results.. I have no idea about "DIY" kits..

Make sure if you go with an inline filter it is pressure rated (most important)+

take your tank off your bike
get some phospherous acid, alot of bike shops sell it for around 13$, plug all holes in your tank after removing the gas. pour acid/ water mixture and let sit for 4-8 hours depending on amount of drit, rust.
after that wash it out with water hose to get all dirt/rust out. then let it dry.
after its dry get some tank sealer, should be able to find it at any bike shop.
or your can even buy kits for about 50$. alot cheaper then getting a new tank.
Gas Tank Sealer - Large Motorcycle Tank Sealer Kit - Better then Kreem - KBS Coatings

Last edited:
3. run a custom inline fuel filter outside the tank

Are you going to remove and leave off the fuel filter on the fuel pump in the tank, and just go with an inline filter after the tank?

3. run a custom inline fuel filter outside the tank

Are you going to remove and leave off the fuel filter on the fuel pump in the tank, and just go with an inline filter after the tank?

YES this is correct

Badass thanks for the tips!
mr bogus
CraZyNOTRT

you are right, the tank is rusted out, its not my original tank
when i bought the whole set of plastics the painted tank
came with. i always wondered if id have problems with that.
and sure enough.
glad i know what it is!

so i will go about this cleaning method or new tank whichever seems best.
i am repainting it anyway.

and thanks for the tip!
Big Red

Marbles, large ball bearings or something similar that is heavy and dense, put them in with the mixture you are using and they will help to break loose larger pieces that liquid alone wouldn't.

Also, cleaning it without adding a sealer will help for a while, but it will still be rusty, and you are likely to have the same thing will happen again in a year.

POR15 makes good gas tank sealers, and they sell complete kits for bikes $40

CYCLE TANK REPAIR KIT-POR-15 Inc.

Muriatic acid from any hardware store will completely remove the rust within an hour or so then immediately rinse with gas and refill as the acid strips all oils from the inside of the tank. Diluted muriatic is the acid used in tank prep kits. It is only a few bucks and works great.

Cool.
When you do it can you please post which filter you use and how it is fed in.
Sounds like a better way to do it.
Thanks!

hey i definately will, my room mate has 2 busas both 99s
he had a fuel problem and he did this and never had a problem again
i can get the specs for u tonite. u can by really cheap! at autoparts store

oops...i never cleaned my tank before....do i have to?
normally no... if a bike is ridden, moisture is removed just by riding and the gas going through it. Gasoline has some ability to pick up moisture and remove it.. (methanol oxygenated more so than plain gasoline) "Heet" and other fuel line "antifreezes" are typically methanol and so remove the moisture from the tank by suspending it in the gasoline to be burned.

Problem with tanks that sit around is that every time there is a temp change, air exchange occurs. Air carries in humidity that condenses over time and the rust starts.. This is why keeping the tank "full" reduces the problem a lot, less air volume..

the rust is usually at the very top and very bottom of the tank.. coatings are fine as long as the tank is not "too rusted" out..

So, how did it all work out?

I have a decently rusty tank and am taking it to a local radiator shop to be clean and coated. I was quoted $75 + tax. The other radiator shop in town closed down. To everyone, how does my quote sound?

BTW, I used some evapo rust stuff I got from AutoZone and it didn't do a darn thing. The hardest part was getting all the moisture out of the tank when draining. The 1" lip at the bottom of the tank really pissed me off!

Back