Filling gaps between aftermarket fairings

JonTheHoeeible

Registered
Hi All! Thanks for all your help on my last thread! Has helped a bunch!

I have replaced my nose cone for a carbon fibre one, it seems to be a tiny bit lower than the stock one which causes a gap which goes up to 1cm at its largest, where the nose curves vertically and meets the inner dash gauge fairing. Carbon fibre does not flex or change size with heat and cold, so I can rule that out.

I am waiting for a carbon inner dash and tank fairing to arrive but I don't see that making any difference in a good way.

I will likely be left with this gap and would like to fill it somehow. My thoughts on materials so far are:

Door insulation strips - bit worried about the weatherproof ness of the sticky and look
Rubber - trace the gaps on paper and cut them out of a rubber mat - adhesive to one of the fairings
Carbon Fibre mat - untreated without epoxy - material folded over and velcro'd to each fairing

I want it to look nice and be as sealed up as possible when I'm done. Really hard to find info about this anywhere. Easy to find info on repairing fairings, but not making them join and look nice!

Has anyone had any experience in this type of thing? I'd hate to finish all my bodywork and have it look amateur at the end!

lhs nose to inner fairing (2).jpg

I bought the magical inners...they do not fit 100% either to the side panels ...they look great and the mating holes line up + the hole in the center under the tach / cluster is right on...they fit nice around the mirror bolts / windscreen area. The bad thing is when they flex and pop over the side panel they (the cf inners) scratch the side panel.

That's an easy fix. Drop in on your Suzuki dealer and order OEM replacements for those Chinese aftermarket ebay specials.

Works every time!

Unless your entering your busa in a bike show or something I doubt most people especially fellow riders won't care about a 1cm gap..... everybody's bikes have imperfections on them that actually ride on a regular basis. The more important matters are improving your riding abilities and actually having a bike 2 ride :whistle:

Ive been riding for 28 years. Im more worried about water getting in really. But I suppose it does anyway. What makes you assume I dont have a bike or cant ride? Or am I just feeding a troll?

Unless your entering your busa in a bike show or something I doubt most people especially fellow riders won't care about a 1cm gap..... everybody's bikes have imperfections on them that actually ride on a regular basis. The more important matters are improving your riding abilities and actually having a bike 2 ride :whistle:

true that... I gave up on having perfect fairing out here in thailand. as long as everything is snug and tight where its suppose to be I'm happy. Any other shots of your body work.. would like to see

Are those factory inners? I have aftermarket fairings on my Busa. The inners that came with them were horrible. Factory inners took care of the gap problems. There should be a clip on the inside fairings that hooks to the inner fairing to keep it pulled together. From your picture, it looks like your aftermarket fairings are missing that. You can bond one in to close that gap.

Ive been riding for 28 years. Im more worried about water getting in really. But I suppose it does anyway. What makes you assume I dont have a bike or cant ride? Or am I just feeding a troll?

Yeah you got me all figured out, I'm a troll.... says the guy with less than 20 posts :rofl:

The point of my post was that just having a Busa and the skill 2 ride it is all that really matters in the end and I doubt most if any will care or even notice a 1cm gap on a fairing. If you were truly that concerned about the look of your busa and attention 2 detail then you would've never bought an ebay knock off fairing 2 begin with. I have a knock off set as well and there is gaps on mine just the same but I expected it. Bottom line you get what U pay 4. Nobody I ride with seems 2 care and been in more than my fair share of rainstorms and made it home all the same.

Just because you've been riding for 28 years doesn't mean your a good rider ??? If you've developed bad riding habits early on or grown complacent and failed 2 correct them chances are high your gonna ride with those bad habits indefinitely.... So you can spout off numbers and impress somebody else who doesn't know any better :whistle:

I have replaced my nose cone for a carbon fibre one, it seems to be a tiny bit lower than the stock one which causes a gap which goes up to 1cm at its largest, where the nose curves vertically and meets the inner dash gauge fairing. Carbon fibre does not flex or change size with heat and cold, so I can rule that out.

I am waiting for a carbon inner dash and tank fairing to arrive but I don't see that making any difference in a good way.

I will likely be left with this gap and would like to fill it somehow. My thoughts on materials so far are:

Door insulation strips - bit worried about the weatherproof ness of the sticky and look
Rubber - trace the gaps on paper and cut them out of a rubber mat - adhesive to one of the fairings
Carbon Fibre mat - untreated without epoxy - material folded over and velcro'd to each fairing

I want it to look nice and be as sealed up as possible when I'm done. Really hard to find info about this anywhere. Easy to find info on repairing fairings, but not making them join and look nice!

Has anyone had any experience in this type of thing? I'd hate to finish all my bodywork and have it look amateur at the end!

The first thing you want to try - for sh**ts and giggles - is loosening up the two bolts that hold the main fairing stay to the front of the frame. With these bolts loose, pick the nose of the fairing up - you should be able to do this, there is always some "play" in the mounts. Holding the weight of the fairing up, tighten the bolts. See if that makes any difference before you go crazy. . .

also try some door seals from the auto store. they are black rubber and should slide on....just an idea. BTW i wouldn't go biting the hand that feeds you here...there is a ton of knowledge about these bikes here and good people who have been working with these machines since they were made...

Yeah you got me all figured out, I'm a troll.... says the guy with less than 20 posts :rofl:

The point of my post was that just having a Busa and the skill 2 ride it is all that really matters in the end and I doubt most if any will care or even notice a 1cm gap on a fairing. If you were truly that concerned about the look of your busa and attention 2 detail then you would've never bought an ebay knock off fairing 2 begin with. I have a knock off set as well and there is gaps on mine just the same but I expected it. Bottom line you get what U pay 4. Nobody I ride with seems 2 care and been in more than my fair share of rainstorms and made it home all the same.

Just because you've been riding for 28 years doesn't mean your a good rider ??? If you've developed bad riding habits early on or grown complacent and failed 2 correct them chances are high your gonna ride with those bad habits indefinitely.... So you can spout off numbers and impress somebody else who doesn't know any better :whistle:

You know in the uk we refer to people like you as a **** or a wanker. I can ride fine. My fairings cost over 3000 bucks and ive not got a single piece from ebay. I have less than 20 posts because I am new. I care what my bike looks like. Its not all about showing my little friends not every one is the same as you. I will be leaving the forum as **** heads like you kind of make it pointless. You assume far too much little boy.

Whoa, this is not how we treat one another...please be respectful or the thread gets closed...

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

I should have just replied with "thats not very helpful" sorry.

at least I got one thing from his post, the Hayabusa deals ok with rain water getting in the gap, so the worry is over, but I still would like to fix the cosmetic issue, for my own personal pride. not to sho others lol. I ride on my own, every day. I was worried I may have picked up bad habits 6 years ago, so instead of converting my UK license, I did the whole Learner to full license again and went up in power over 6 years to my busa.

Im sure I do have some bad habits already, I am actually looking into booking an advanced training course tailored to me and some friends to improve my riding/brush up.

None of that is relevent to my bikes injury though, it was knocked over when parked after I had it 2 weeks, so insurance have paid me out 7000 bucks, hence the whole body replacement. If youre gonna do it, may as well do it as best you can and seek advice if you are unsure, as I am.

Are you sure that the fairing brace is not bent! It doen't take much to bend them!

Thanks GixerHP, I am definitely sure, the Original nose only had a couple of short light scratches, and I have tried putting it back on and everything fits together again. I was advised to check this in a previous post I made. The only think I had physically changing my setup was nose fairing grills which didnt allow the rams to connect so I removed them.

MDI still have the back end to send out to me, so they are putting some unhardened Carbon Fibre material in my order for me too. I will try draping this around the door seals and see how it looke!

Carbon parts never seem to fit great unless you do all from the same factory . I love them but its spendy , what co. did you get the front from?

Back