Filing a claim on the bike

One or two things you might consider. If you have a loan on the vehicle, your check will likely have to be issued co-payable to you and a licensed repair facility or to you and your lien holder. A comp claim is very unlikely to raise your rates. A not at fault collision will likely not raise your rates now, but will definately have an impact if you have an at fault loss within the next 3 years. I think you could do this yourself for very close to your deductible with a little help from your friends. I wouldn't even consider filing a collision claim unless the total damage was well over your deductible. By the way, getting a shop to write your estimate with labor is smart advice. Adjusters write an estimate using the going labor rate for body shops, not bike shop mechanical rates, but will likely match your chosen shop rate. Also, on most policies the difference between a $500 dedt and a $1K dedt is only a few $$. I'd consider lowering that for next time. Remember, your insurance is to protect you from large losses you can't easily handle, so don't make a claim you don't need to and don't have your deductible so high that you can't come up with it if needed. I for one don't have $1K lying around, but if you do please disregard. I am an auto damage adjuster, but licensed in NC. Insurance law & policies vary slightly from state to state. Good luck.

If it fell over or you were hit by an animal or something flew and hit you it's comp. your rates don't go up because it was out of your control and you did not cause it if you wrecked for any other reason ie you crashed or lost control it's collision. collision that is your fault raises your rates. if some one hit and ran your bike it is collision but it does not raise your rates. basically colliding with any object that is on the ground is a collision or being hit by another vehicle that has a human being behind the wheel is collision anything that involves lower forms of life (animals) or objects that are flying through the air (they are described as missiles) is comp.

for bikes most good insurance companies do not have the ability to write an estimate due to the lack of a database and they generally work directly with the shop regardless of if it is a bike shop or auto shop (go to a bike shop). I can get into even more detail but if you actually read all this I'd be impressed pm me if you need help I work for farmers insurance in claims. So I have a general idea as to what you need to know Your state laws may slightly differ but overall in general it is usually pretty close.

Back