Filing a claim on the bike

ericyow

Registered
So the bike fell over...
sad.gif
(I whined in another thread, so I don't have to do it here.)

I want to file a claim on my insurance but have a few questions maybe you guys could help me with. If I file a claim, will that make my insurance rates go up? My deductible is $1000 and I want it to be cost effective. I got an estimate for $2144 that I put together but I don't know how to estimate labor. Should I just take it to a shop for an estimate? The thing is, I want to do the work myself to save the money and offset the deductible. Any input? If you've done this before, walk me through it, please, so I don't get shafted. It sucks having an 08 with blemishes.

Here's the estimate I put together -
SKU Item Price Qty Ext
94401-15H00-YKZ BODY, COWLING (BLUE) FOR EAK; Includes Item(s) 2 - 3 $266.14 1 $266.14

94611-15H00 WINDSCREEN $108.24 1 $108.24

09139-05025 SCREW, SCREEN $2.97 2 $5.94

63161-43E00 BOLT $2.97 2 $5.94

43521-44G10 BAR, FRONT FOOTREST LH $21.86 1 $21.86

57500-24F20 LEVER ASSY, CLUTCH Includes Item(s) 9 - 10 $49.35 1 $49.35

56600-24F00 MIRROR ASSY, REAR VIEW LH $56.13 1 $56.13

56200-15830 BALANCER SET, HANDLEBAR Includes Item(s) 15 - 16 $26.83 2 $53.66

07130-0660B BOLT $2.97 2 $5.94

09250-05009 CAP $2.97 2 $5.94

14340-15H00 BODY, MUFFLER LH $807.70 1 $807.70

14790-15H00 COVER, FRONT LH $74.94 1 $74.94

94460-15H00-YKZ COWLING, SIDE LH (BLUE) FOR EAK; Includes Item(s) 3 - 4 $298.44 1 $298.44

11351-24F00 COVER, MAGNETO $48.03 1 $48.03

09320-09016 CUSHION $2.97 5 $14.85

09139-06126 SCREW, SIDE FRONT $2.97 6 $17.82

94480-15H00-4CX COWLING, UNDER LH (BLACK) FOR EAJ $147.31 1 $147.31

94661-15H00-YAY COWLING, UNDER REAR (BLACK) FOR CZY,EAJ,EAK $153.40 1 $153.40

94479-35F00 CLIP, LH $2.97 1 $2.97

Subtotal: $2,144.60

Sorry to hear about that. If you're looking to do most of it yourself, get with Vman1300 for better pricing on the OEM stuff. Also, you may be able to find some stuff - such as the exhaust cans - from folks on the board.

Good Luck!

I think you could fix it yourself for under the $1000 deductable and avoid a claim. For instance you can buy a used can for under $50 and knock $750 off that price. Lever $10 Mirror $20 Windscreen $20. Mag cover $20. Some you

just call your ins. co. and ask them how much it will go up. they wont raise your rates cause it happened ONLY if you make a claim. My ins. co. told me mine IF it went up the MOST it would be is 10%.

Put it back together yourself. Heck there is probably a few of those parts laying around garages that you might get a deal or donation on here.

I have State Farm for insurance. I checked with my agent about a claim and he told me that they do not raise rates for your insurance because of claims on "Recreational Vehicles". I said OK what about motorcycles. He told me that bikes are considered RV's as far as rates go. That is here in Wisconsin, I do not know if it holds true every where.
Hope that helps

I have State Farm here in SC had the same problem, fell off side stand at an idle. Any who I got the best prices for the replacement zuki fairings, can, and levers then turned in to ins. co. They came out looked came up with the same prices that the Suzuki store had given me and cut me a check for 1700+ minus the 500 deductable. No increase in my premium and I replaced all for about 1500. I shoped around and called a dealer out of the back of Cycle World mag. and got both lower fairings with graphics for under 400 a side, the tail was also over a hundred less than my dealer. All new Suzuki parts. Good luck, Mike

First youhave to call the insurance and get the claim started. Take it to a local dealer so that you will have everything on an estimate including labor. Do not leave the bike there overnight or let them talk you into doing the work. You have to be very adamant about it. Once you have the dealer's estimate, call your insurance and have an adjuster come out to look the bike over. They should cut you a check right there if the estimate is not over 80% of the retail value of the bike. Have blue book values and NADA values ready at hand to prove value. I just went through this a few months ago. I also did the work on mine to put her back together to save money and upgrade as well. Plan your finances right and you might be able to upgrade too instead of buying all OEM stuff for example, a right side mid and muffler would cost me $650 from the dealer but instead I add a little cash(less than $200 more) and bought a Tsukigi Cannon full system from GPW here on the board. I also was able to add a PCIII and buy a complete set of leathers, helmet, boots, elbow and knee pads and spine protector. You should come out ahead.

Ok, so I talked to an agent and she said that if they file it under my comprehensive (fire, theft, vandalism, etc) then it won't raise my rates. If it's filed under collision, it will. My outlook: if it's filed under comp I'll do it, if collision I'll just suck it up and deal with it.

I left it at a dealer overnight, having dropped it off moments ago, but told them that I'm doing the work. I'm also having them do the recall bit for me. My adjuster will call me and let me know when they're coming out.

Thanks for all the input. I'll keep ya'll updated. If I get a check, I'll be hitting ya'll up for more advice on where to get stuff. Thanks!

it prolly depends on the insurer.
i've had state fm since 03.
in 05 i had a theft (of my 01 busa, it was supposed to be a $8k stated value policy) they gave me $6700
in feb. i totaled my 05, they gave me $10k
winkold.gif

my rate's still $60 a mo (for now at least)

ps i just saw your price for a muffler
rock.gif

if you get that i certainly hope you get a 4-1 outta the deal
thumb_up.gif

You gotta remember that the insurance is listing EVERY little thing wrong. Take for instance the stator cover, you can sand the scratch out and repaint the cover and it'll look like new. The other parts I'm sure can be sourced from other people here. The only thing I see that you might have to buy is the lower fairing if it is that bad. Even then, you can sell the damaged parts and recoup some of the costs.

I would skip the claim if possible. Because even if your rates don't change, you will still have a hit against you on record for a claim.

One or two things you might consider. If you have a loan on the vehicle, your check will likely have to be issued co-payable to you and a licensed repair facility or to you and your lien holder. A comp claim is very unlikely to raise your rates. A not at fault collision will likely not raise your rates now, but will definately have an impact if you have an at fault loss within the next 3 years. I think you could do this yourself for very close to your deductible with a little help from your friends. I wouldn't even consider filing a collision claim unless the total damage was well over your deductible. By the way, getting a shop to write your estimate with labor is smart advice. Adjusters write an estimate using the going labor rate for body shops, not bike shop mechanical rates, but will likely match your chosen shop rate. Also, on most policies the difference between a $500 dedt and a $1K dedt is only a few $$. I'd consider lowering that for next time. Remember, your insurance is to protect you from large losses you can't easily handle, so don't make a claim you don't need to and don't have your deductible so high that you can't come up with it if needed. I for one don't have $1K lying around, but if you do please disregard. I am an auto damage adjuster, but licensed in NC. Insurance law & policies vary slightly from state to state. Good luck.

I made a $2100 claim in 2001 and mine shot from $1700 a year to $2100. Do yourself a favor and fix it yourself because if you make a claim you will wind up paying for it any way. That is the beauty of insurance if you keep paying and don'nt make a claim you are a good customer. If you make a claim we raise your premium to adjust for what we pay. If you think about it you would be better off to just carry liability and save the rest toward a rainy day. Hell! and if you don't make a claim on yourself in five years you can buy another bike cash. How's that for a great policy?

I took it to a shop to get an official estimate and it was about $2800 with labor. They overlooked the windscreen and the plastic panel under the left clipon, that was scratched. The way I see it, with my thousand dollar deductible taken out, that'll give me $1800 to budget-fix with. If the adjuster assures me it'll be filed under my comprehensive coverage and not make my rates go up, I think it's worth the trouble. Your thoughts?

Thanks!

My claim was for $6600 and my rates did not go up. I have State farm and just got the policy a couple months prior to crash.

I would fix it out of pocket. Unless you just want to collect some insurance money. Sounds like some very minor cosmetic damage. Insurance companys get there money back. They might let you slide this time...but if you turn in another claim or ticket I'm sure they will raise you rates.

I had the same problem, though the only real damage is the left fairing on a 2006. Is there a way to repaint the fairing and apply the decals, or would it be easier to just replace the whole thing?

ive had the rates go up even when not at fault, so dont trust the ins co. do everything you can yourself. as for the damage, that sux. seems like alot tho. i dropped my 06 and had only a little rash. howd you get all that:dunno:

Back