Fender or Undertail??? the question

what to do with rear fender????

• Total voters

screamin kanji

Donating Member
Registered
I am considering chopping-down or removing my rear fender and replacing it with undertail. I am just curious as to how many Busas still have the rear fender. Any suggestions as to why I "should" or "should not" do this would be appreciated.

it's personnel preference I think. check the gallery see what u prefer to go with I went trimmed fender to keep my tag at the stock position, and integrated taillight. But the turn signal and brake light are a little weak for my taste after it was all said an done.

Have done both options. Hard to find a good aftermarket undertail these days though. Chopping the stock fender is cheap and effective.

So far I have just chopped the extension that hung down below the license plate. I had to do that for my rear stand to work. I am a sport touring guy though, and am too cheap right now to buy a hugger. That may change next season.

Been wanting to cut mine down but don't want to use an integrated tail light, and havn't made a L-plate bracket to hold different turn signals yet. So it's still stock.

I thought we we're talking about the 08. On the first gen it looks alot better with an undertail or chopped down stocker. The 08 just plain looks wrong with the big open rear end though imo. The only way I like the look of the 08 back end is with an undertail AND stretch that gets the tire under the curve of the rear where it should be :thumbsup:

I'd work with the stock rear fender. I had a mototech undertail which turned out to be garbage. The problem is, finding an undertail to replace it with. A lot of companys that used to make undertails for the Busa aren't making them anymore... Right now, I'm trying to find an undertail for mine without much luck so far...

Thank You All... I am using the Org members advice.....I will softly chop and see how it looks later to see if more chopping is needed.

Here's a link to similar thread with some pics...

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/appearance-mods/91641-modified-rear-fender.html

When I first chopped the flap off I still had the stock turn signals. Bought the signals(in pic) off Ebay and finished removing the rest of flap minus amount to hold tag. Tag bracket is original,just flipped to keep it 90degrees from the ground. A little light sanding after cutting everything,then touched up with cig lighter and finger to give the factory look.

Last edited:
I have both. Will probally go back to stock this winter. I would like to see someone make one out of ABS like factory. It takes a major beating so buy the time you find one that fits right. And is color matched it will get destroyed with rock chips etc.

I have both. Will probally go back to stock this winter. I would like to see someone make one out of ABS like factory. It takes a major beating so buy the time you find one that fits right. And is color matched it will get destroyed with rock chips etc.

yes if you want an undetail...then most likely you will want a hugger with it.

Huggers are visual parts...the OEM fender is not. If you want something to take a beating...then you don't want to worry if its pretty or not.

The ABS your side panels are made of is what you are alluding too...and it wouldn't fare any better than fiberglass as an undertail solution

I think I still have a Mototec undertail with tail light. If you are interested I'd make you a sweet deal to get her out of my garage.

Power Bronze makes the closest I've seen too a stock look (black plastic), I just didn't feel like slicing up the trunk area and spending $150+. Heard too many stories of paint not matching and/or taillight not being bright enough. I cut the shovel part off completely and mounted a bracket ($19) a little further under the taillight, put a license plate frame on ($25) with built in led signals.

i went with a powerbronze at first. And they work and look grreat. But won't work with anything over a 4" stretch without rubbing. So i went with a full paint matched undertail after that. I did not want to cut my factory fender, as i have kept every OEM part to my Busa, so if I ever feel like it, I can return it 100% stock.

Back