Fender & Fairing 120 LED Signals

InfiniteReality

Registered
Not even sure if you can do this with the LED strips you can buy from the store, but I figured it was a cheap and easy way to make me more noticeable when I'm turning, plus I have under bike lights at the same time.  

There's 72 LEDs in the fender with 36 on each side.  In the 36 LED cluster 1/2 are orange 5000mcd LEDs and 1/2 are white 13000mcd LEDs.  In the fairings there's only 48 LEDs total, 12 of each color on each side.  

After I made the boards I sealed them all up.  I used some 5 minute epoxy to attach the 36 LED clusters under the fender.  I had to drill a hole in the top of the fender with a grommet to run my wires through. Everything was heat shrinked as well.  
For the fairing strips I alternated clusters of 6 on the strips I made.  I just put them in a wire loom and zip tied them to the frame pointing the direction I want.  I think it needs to be brighter so this weekend I'll make another strip on each side because the fender is brighter than the sides.  I'll have to think of a way to light up the bottom fairing hole now too.
smile.gif

I have a switch to turn on the white LEDs all at the same time and I have the orange LEDs per side hooked up to the corresponding signal.  

SNC11087.jpg

SNC11095.jpg

SNC11110.jpg

SNC11113.jpg

SNC11144.jpg

SNC11181.jpg

SNC11183.jpg

SNC11184.jpg

SNC11186.jpg

SNC11190.jpg

SNC11192.jpg

Very bright! I think I will put LEDs on my list of winter things again.

I buy all my LEDs from www.ledshoppe.com. Cheap, free shipping and factory direct from Hong Kong.
smile.gif

These pictures aren't even at full brightness either because I wired them for 13.7V and with the bike off it's only 12V. I need to take some pictures of the signals because that was the main reason I did this to begin with. lol. I think I'm going to make the extra strips today and see if I can get some night time pictures or video of them going when the bike's running.
smile.gif

smile.gif

You can buy the LED strips at Advance and I'm sure other auto parts places. Infinite obviously has an electrical, electronics background.

Good job by the way. I'm not a blingster, but that just looked nice.
super.gif

Yep coincidently I do have an electronics background.
smile.gif
But it's really simple to make your own boards whatever size is needed to fit where ever, plus I can mix and match LEDs for my signals.
smile.gif
Plus I have a total of $40 tied up in everything with LEDs left over for the below part plus extras.

I made some more last night night in 6 LED clusters that mount on the backside of my passanger foot pegs There's 18 orange and 24 white LEDs per side. I'll post some pictures tonight when it's dark. Now the LED count on the bike of stuff I've made is 702.
super.gif

smile.gif

First..... Led's look GREAT!!!
Second... Do you ever come to Mobile, Al.?
rock.gif

Third.... Would you like to come to Mobile and help me put some Led's on mine???

J/K... BUT if you would like to ride over sometime and do tat it would be great... you sure seem to know whay you are doing!!!
super.gif

Still lovin' the exhaust on the bike. Sounds just right to me.
smile.gif

Thanks for the props! Nah, not near Mobile, but the concept for LEDs is simple to do.
smile.gif
At a cost of $40 total and some time, well worth it IMO. Plus still have LEDs left over and I'm not done yet.
smile.gif
BTW all the white LEDs also have equal number of orange ones that operate with the signals yet. I just need to pull the bike out of the house so I can crank it (12v versus 13.7, makes them brighter) and get some pictures & video of them in action too. Signals were actually the reason I did this in the first place.
smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

(InfiniteReality @ May 19 2007,13:13) I buy all my LEDs from www.ledshoppe.com.  Cheap, free shipping and factory direct from Hong Kong.
smile.gif

These pictures aren't even at full brightness either because I wired them for 13.7V and with the bike off it's only 12V.  I need to take some pictures of the signals because that was the main reason I did this to begin with. lol.  I think I'm going to make the extra strips today and see if I can get some night time pictures or video of them going when the bike's running.
smile.gif
Now I hope you know that when I'm ready for my LED mod, the you will have to help me right?
rock.gif
We live in the same city, and I can't believe we haven't met. But that will change soon... believe that!!

smile.gif

Thanks Pusher!!

Wait bacharles and I live in the same city? Wow, small world! Guess I need to own up and get to Bike Night one Tuesday then, uh? I think I've been 2 times since I've bought the bike. lol. They still have those right??

I might try my hand at making some LEDs. Have a couple of questions for ya..

A) just how hard is it to make your own boards? judging by the pics alone, it really doesn't seem like a lot of components. Is it just time consuming?

B) Where did you get the blank boards at to make the LEDs? I have tried alot of searches and can't seem to find them anywhere.

C) Lets say I wanted to add blue LEDs behind the side fairing openings, what LED would you suggest?

On a side note, I don't know what is worse. Looking at the weather seeing rain in the forcast  or deciding NOW is the time to turn in your gauges to get redone and not a drop of rain has hit the ground in the 2 days the gauges have been gone..
crazy.gif

Thanks in Advance,
Blitz...

Easy to make your own boards, just time consuming compared to buying them at the store. BUT you can make them any size and configuration you want so that helps when hiding them and the wires.
smile.gif

Blank boards I got at Radio Shack, they're 5x7 boards I believe and $5 per board.

I order all my LEDs from www.LEDShoppe.Com. Always good LEDs, quick shipping, cheap and direct from Hong Kong.
smile.gif

smile.gif

Back