Fellow skydiver killed 1 August

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
While not exactly a board topic, this one effects me personally is it was a good friend of mine, and his family could use to positive thoughts and prayers (below is post from a witness):

------------------
At 5:30 PM Saturday August 1 Harry Parrish, 54 took a student up for his A-license check dive. On jump run the King Air A-90 was configured properly with an 85 mph jump run, flaps applied, reduced power in the left engine and in a slight descent so the tail was as high as possible. A group of 6 RW jumpers exited the aircraft first. Harry then climbed out and was exiting from the outside door position while the student was to perform a diving exit. Harry initiated a standard exit count (out-in-out) however for some reason balked on the exit and did not leave. The student pushed outward slightly then moved back slightly inside the airplane, and Harry’s reserve handle was dislodged at this point. The student then saw the handle was loose and tried to keep it contained and it appeared he tried to stop Harry from exiting. Harry then let go of the airplane unaware that his reserve ripcord handle was loose, and the student had it in his hand. The reserve deployed immediately and passed over the tail. Harry struck the horizontal stabilizer and then passed over it as the reserve pulled him over top of the tail. There was damage to the leading edge, lower and upper skins of the stabilizer. I do not know at this point if he was killed by the impact with the tail, but it is highly likely. The student then jumped out, followed by the two tandem pairs behind them. The aircraft lurched heavily when the strike occurred, but the pilot kept the aircraft flying level and landed without any other incident to the airplane. It will need repairs to the stabilizer before it can fly jumpers again.
Harry descended under the reserve canopy from 14,000 feet, and there was no sign of him ever steering the canopy. The canopy drifted east of the airport and did slowly change direction as it descended but that was most likely the change in ground winds from the upper winds. We have not seen the gear to check if the brakes were stowed or not. I am not sure if or when I will get the gear from the police. Harry was jumping one of the school's student rigs for this jump because his own rig was unpacked. Once he was out of sight from those of us on the ground we began a search that included air and ground support from dozens if not hundreds of people. Most everyone on the DZ, state and local police including fire and EMS crews, my 182 and Larry Pennington flew his PAC 750 from Suffolk to help look, a medivac helicopter and a state police helicopter were also circling the area where it was suspected that Harry landed. We had 2 hours of daylight to find him, but I was extremely frustrated to have to land my 182 once the sunlight was gone without finding him. The ground search continued to 1 AM along with the helicopters that had infra red equipment. The search postponed at 1 AM and resumed this morning at sun up. Harry was found around 12 noon, 15 feet in a tree.
This is a case of a couple of issues that combined for a fatal outcome. Separately, a botched exit count or a floating reserve handle are usually not a problem. But this chain of events unfolded at just the wrong way to cause the fatal impact. Use a solid exit count, watch what you grab on exit, and guard your handles. Those are the only lessons I can suggest from this accident.
Harry was a great individual, and he was one of the most safety conscious skydivers I have ever known.
-----------------------
The tragedy continues: Harry’s widow is currently in the hospital; she has been having severe complications with their unborn child; she has been taking drugs to keep from delivering this baby that that is not due until October. The doctors say the child’s chances are much higher if they can just get two more weeks. Harry’s sister is in charge in VA; their sole goal at the moment is to not stress Harry’s widow as much as possible to give his baby a chance. Susie understands that Sister has informed Widow of Harry’s passing. The Army has been notified, and the police are investigating. The family is trying to keep this as low key as possible until after the child’s birth, so there won’t be any memorial/burial until later TBD.

This guy taught me how to skydive and ran the Parachute Activity at Fort Campbell, KY for years back in the '90's. He was on active duty and stationed at Fort Meade, MD. A great loss within the skydiving community and my circle of skydiving friends.

BLUE SKIES

This was just a few miles from where I live *sigh* Sad news indeed...someone from the Sheriff's dept was here yesterday talking about it...just sad... :down: Thoughts and prayers to those he left behind and his unborn child...

Sad to see, Sky. The things we do are so full of neccessary grace, I pray we can each have as much towards one another, no matter the outcome...and mercy for those that are left behind. Prayers sent for all....:please:

So sorry to hear :down: Thoughts and Prayers out...

my thoughts and prayers go out to you, his family and friends, very sad..

That sucks! Sorry to hear. Only thing I can say is he went out doing something he loved. A luxury most of us will not get.

Prayers to his wife & unborn child.

Yeah I heard about this too Sky..sad...my prayers to the family, and Im sorry for the loss of your friend..

Sorry to hear about your friend. Prayers for all the friends and family.

Oh man, prayers send for Harrys family, I am very sorry for the loss of your friend.

Sorry to hear, prayers sent for his family.

Very sorry to hear about this. There was a bit of a mishap at my dz on the same day but luckily she escaped with only a few broken bones.

Prayers sent.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back