Fatal dragstrip crash.

cache

Banned
as some of you know, I only live 2 miles from my home dragstrip.

Sunday, I decided not to go watch the finals of our AHDRA 12th Annual Team Latus Motors Harley Davidson Northwest Nationals, which features 200mph Nitro Top Fuel Harleys.

Now I am glad I was not there to witness this.........

Motorcyclist dies in 100-mph dragstrip crash

August 29, 2005

A motorcyclist competing in Sunday's drag-racing event at Woodburn Dragstrip crashed during competition and died at the scene, the Marion County Sheriff's Office said.

Elmo (E.T.) Rockefeller, 49, of Sacramento, Calif., was competing in the AHDRA Team Latus Motors Harley-Davidson Northwest Nationals pro-drag competition at Woodburn Dragstrip, 7730 Highway 219.

During his 4:15 p.m. run, his bike began to drift and hit a retaining wall, said Sgt. Dave Cornforth of the Marion County Sheriff's Office.

Rockefeller's estimated speed at the time of the crash was more than 100 mph.

The event featured nitro-fueled motorcycles capable of reaching 200 mph. Cornforth said Rockefeller's motorcycle was modified, but he did not know what type of motorcycle it was. Rockefeller was wearing appropriate protective equipment and clothing.

The motorcyclist had competed mostly in events in the West and earned some success.

In 2003, he finished in 12th place among Western competitors and 16th overall. He was in 16th place in the Pro Drag division.

In its 27th season, the All Harley Drag Racing Association series is a drag-racing circuit offering 14 different classes of competition and more than $1 million in cash and prizes through the year and regularly featured on ESPN2's drag-racing shows.

Some of my fellow NorthwestDragbike racers were competing in this event. I have not talked to anybody that was there yet... but from what I've heard, it was gruesome, and heart-wrenching seeing his crew mourn at the scene.

R.I.P.

A visit from death is never pleasant for the survivors, however this man was taken doing what he enjoyed.........
RIP

Its been a bad year. Everyone be careful. His family has my prayers!

Back