Fat tire kits just a current trend?

msmathis01

Registered
Do you think fat tire kits or here to stay or just a current trend? Do you think think fat tire kits are losing popularity are gaining momentum?

Gaining. MOre and more comps are cumming up with them and diff styles of them. The sportbike customs are the new and GROWING thing. The mix from choppers to be more like handling sportbikes to sportbikes mixing with the custom bling of what choppers use to be.
There is always many ways to custom a bike....not always with a fatty. BUT I think its has cought on and is here to stay. NOT EVERYONE is a hardcore knee dragger to stay with a 200 rear tire.
MY 2cent.

I don't get it, to me the fat tires (unless im missing something, are they AWESOME for drag races?), it looks like they are just for show, you know, roll up to a parking lot and stand by your bike looking pretty, again, thats my experience with the owners of such bikes.

Maybe as time moves on and they drop in price... maybe it will pick up. I like the look of a 240, just cannot see paying out 3.5-4K for them. Hell, I can pick up a turbo kit or an older track bike for that much. The 300+ kits are just crazy priced, some of these kits cost more than my bike??? Just my thoughts on the matter, Yeah ok to look at, just currently not the best bang for your buck:thumbsup:

sure wont find one on my bike... (I like to turn corners too much)

I hear from a few that the 240 kit and that stretches do not hurt the bikes ability to corner but nothing could be further from the truth..

I rode a 240 kit and it was awful... it was slow to turn in, and did not turn very well after it was tipped over..

I do like the look of "fat tire" bikes as long as they have a Vtwin :) but why take a bike designed as a "sport" and turn it into a hybrid cruiser?

My preference is just for a ground pounding Vtwin with a fat tire over a ricer trying to horn in on the cruiser market...

I don't mind admiring a fat tire on your bike but you'll never see one on mine. I avoid anything the reduces performance.

I don't get it, to me the fat tires (unless im missing something, are they AWESOME for drag races?), it looks like they are just for show, you know, roll up to a parking lot and stand by your bike looking pretty, again, thats my experience with the owners of such bikes.

Don't hate or blame the bikes for not knee dragging even with a 240 could be the owners:whistle:Ispeak only for myself since I am one of those straight line, touring and bike night kinda guys:laugh: you could give me Rossi's track bike an it will still look like the old man going to get the groceries on the street an the track:rofl:

I think it's going to grow even more. It's not my cup of tea but to each their own.

I'm dreading the day someone puts a fat one on the front.

sure wont find one on my bike... (I like to turn corners too much)

I hear from a few that the 240 kit and that stretches do not hurt the bikes ability to corner but nothing could be further from the truth..

I rode a 240 kit and it was awful... it was slow to turn in, and did not turn very well after it was tipped over..

I do like the look of "fat tire" bikes as long as they have a Vtwin :) but why take a bike designed as a "sport" and turn it into a hybrid cruiser?

My preference is just for a ground pounding Vtwin with a fat tire over a ricer trying to horn in on the cruiser market...

+1~!~ Very well said.
I do like the looks (even on some inline 4's) but why do it unless it's just for show (which many these days some seem to be riding to the local hangout with 200 miles on their bikes just to show them and say they have one).
Let's see one take the twisties and keep up, or even in the straight line you have to have enough extra HP to make up for the loss in weight and rotating mass.
Wont find one on mine either, unless I get a trailer queen someday when I can't ride it the way it's designed to be ridden any more

Have contemplated it a few times, but price has always kept me from getting one. I also don't think they corner as well, but if you have more than one bike . . . :whistle:

I like the "clean" look of these...

12328d1226626411-nightsters-with-wide-rear-tire-2816_1.jpg

dscn0011tq3.GIF

spd_20090119150926_b.jpg

BAKER_WIDE_TIRE2.jpeg

I was riding one of those big twins with a 240 on the back but got rid of it because I hated the handling of it. It was soooo slow to respond in the corners and at low speed I never felt stable. To each his own...they do look good.

Good for show; not for go...

I say that it is definitely catching on. I get so many looks and stares from both adults and childrens so the kits are definitely eye catchers. To each his own. Some may say you lose the ability to ride the twisties, some say you don't. What I don't get is people being so adamant one way or the other. To me, if some one wanted to ride the twisties so much, they would have bought a litre bike.

I just don't get it. We argue amongst ourselves. I can remember when I didn't ride a Busa and I would hear people say that everyone that rides a Busa is a "poser". We all know that is far from the truth. People who tide the twisties on a Busa probably bought the Busa over a liter bike because they like the styling better. People who cruise on a Busa but don't have a cruiser probably do so also because they like the styling of the Busa better.

All this to say, to each his own.

I got the busa over the liter bike because I run 500+ mile days... at 6'2 forget it on any of the pure "sport" bikes... but I am learning how to make the busa do the "sport" gig on the road courses... most certainly a LOT more work than any liter bike..

Without a doubt, no stretch or fat tire busa is going to even be in the ballpark of competitive on a road course when the stock busa has its tongue hanging out trying to stay with the mid-pack riders.. Keeping in mind, riding "ability" is all relative... (and most of the busa riders around here in the Ft. are probably on the Poser list) :laugh:

Last edited:
I think the trend is gona get bigger i have a 300 and here in clearwater florida theres not to many canyons to carve mostly straight line and i like the look of a big tire in rear sportbike or harley. If you have the money and like the look go for it. Its your bike do what you want with it.

300 tire 2.jpg

I think the trend is gona get bigger i have a 300 and here in clearwater florida theres not to many canyons to carve mostly straight line and i like the look of a big tire in rear sportbike or harley. If you have the money and like the look go for it. Its your bike do what you want with it.

well said

I am bias to my part of the hills...around here we have nothing but mountains and like the twisties.

I can see in some of the lower, flatter, straighter road areas of country why someone might do this on a daily commuter.

I might be tempted if I lived somewhere that I used only the middle 2.5 inches of tire anywhere I go. I'd still feel it'd be more for show.

Back