Fastest Computers (ever)

CorrodedAlien

Registered
Saw this in a tech email...
Fast Computers, Remember them?

My dad had a TRS-80 in 1979 with 16Kb of RAM and a cassette drive...

I copied in the code for a game called "Night Driver" took me HOURS. I looked for a reference but it seems to be lost in cyber time. The game just had the screen with what looks like a road's reflectors coming down the screen and you used the A and D keys to "steer" the "car"... The "road" gets narrow as it speeds up. I was the hit of the neighborhood.

Wow, I remeber that game.

I was too young to remeber what things cost, but I know how much they've changed.

I remember Oregon Trail, Where in the world is carmed san diego, and paying 100 bucks for a 32MB memory upgrade. I also remember My first computer was a Packard Bell Legend. horrid piece of crap.

Now on a I7 that is chilled with a heatsink that cost 2x as much as the processor. hella fast.

I remember Oregon Trail, Where in the world is carmed san diego,

:rofl: i remember that too. im too young to remember "old" computers my mom had one i used to play on that was her old one, it ran ms-dos i believe. like C:/rootdirectory. then find what you want and type it in. my principle in HS had a Commodore.

i learned in high school on a trs80...my dad had one a atari 500 and together him and i played with machine code then he had the amiga...great platform could open all hard drive to read ...now this 32bit-64bit read at a time crap...microsoft and its msdos shot that system down and the rest is history

This takes me back in the way back machine.

My first computer was a Commodore VIC-20, then I upgraded to a C64. At first I didn't have a tape drive and had to retype my code each time so I could play a game. That's why I'm such a fast typist.

Here's a pic of that period. This is when I had my C64 and my MSD dual disk drives. 5.25 double-sided double-density, yeah! I could store some files. hahahahaha
Back then we didn't have monitors, had to use a TV instead.

You can now forget that you ever saw this picture.

photo.png

I had the Commadore 64 hooked up to a black and white T.V. Put the code in to play a game using an Atari joystick. :laugh:

Ah yes the zx81. And the spectrum which I had to open up and adjust to get colour on the tv as in Iceland they was only showing black and white screens and I remember it going wrong just out of waranty and the nice man in the shop giving me a brand new one.

I had the Tandy that was out about the same time as the commodore 64. What I loved best was typing 10 pages of code just to get it to draw a kaleidoscope of lines on your screen much like the "mystify" screensaver we have now.:rofl:

I had a TRS (TRASH) 80, a Commodore 64, an Amiga and all the old IBM PC's, including the PC Jr!! All those were a step up from having to schedule time to run my card deck at 1:00am in the lab! Then came Compuserve (still have an old ID and disk!), Prodigy, etc... Man when I got to use the internet in tlabs in the early 90's...wow!

My first computer was a Commodore VIC-20, then I upgraded to a C64. At first I didn't have a tape drive and had to retype my code each time so I could play a game. That's why I'm such a fast typist.

Here's a pic of that period. This is when I had my C64 and my MSD dual disk drives. 5.25 double-sided double-density, yeah! I could store some files. hahahahaha

:rofl:

:thumbsup:

I remember Oregon Trail, Where in the world is carmed san diego, and paying 100 bucks for a 32MB memory upgrade. I also remember My first computer was a Packard Bell Legend. horrid piece of crap.

Now on a I7 that is chilled with a heatsink that cost 2x as much as the processor. hella fast.

:rofl::rofl: carmen san diego and oregon trail :rofl::rofl: the turtle game???? We had a packard bell and an original machintosh...back when typewriters where in style and TANDY was a great machine...

Yeppas, seemed like $400 was the magic number for any piece you purchased back then for the TRS-80. $400 something for the computer. $400 for the printer if I remember correctly. The modem cost me $60 and by the time I got it home and hooked it up it was so outdated with the inline boards it was useless anyway...old floppy 5 1/4 and tape drives that half arse copied the week long c-dos or whatever it was you typed in...

When the proggy doesn't work properly, another two days of going back through it to see what typo's you made.

:rofl:

I keep typing
CD.. (enter) CD//
and nothing happens. :banghead:
:laugh:

The geekiest of us probably remember

load "$",8:0

Loads everything off your primary MSD drive into memory. ,8 referred to the device number. ,3 was the tape drive I believe

Last edited:
:beerchug: My dad also had the 10" floppy drive... we was stylin' then.

My other game was a motorcycle barrel jumping program.

...and yes I remember some of the load and save to commands, they are clouded with all the DOS and other OS's crap that is jammed into my noggin.

Back