Fastest Bike in 1980

wow that was a long time ago i was 17 and ride'in my 78 RD 400 man i miss that bike

(DaCol. @ Sep. 13 2006,14:10) Well, ya miss out on the best years of your life that you didn't live  
post-52-02136-welcome.gif

newbie.gif
 to life  
jump9.gif
laugh.gif
@
newbie.gif

newbie.gif

1980!

Man I was at my prime!

Had a Yamaha 650 Maxim and ALWAYS wore a KISS Tshirt.....Had the world by the tail back then...

Wow, a lot of people on here who once owned a Z1RTC. Pretty amazing considering they made 250 in 1978 and another 250 in 1979!!!

Let's see some pics folks!

I still have my '81 GS-1100-EX that I bought new when I was 19. And no, that turbo Kaw could not keep up with it. A buddy had one and I could leave him for dead at any reasonable road speed, and he could only nip at my tail light when on boost. [/Quote]

So what type of mods did you have on your GS1100 to make it run so fast? If it was stock then your friend didn't know how to ride a bike. My CX650T destroyed the GS1100 S for roll on and top speed in every magazine write up so there is no way a Z1RTC was being left behind by any GS1100. Actually it should have been a blood bath in favor of the Z1RTC as it was well into the 10's in the ¼ mile back in 1978. A very good rider on that old Kaw could possible take on an average rider on a brand new Busa. Throw a modern compound rear tire on a Z1RTC today and watch the fun!

And some trivia for those that don't know...the Z1RTC was NOT a factory turbo charged bike. They were sent out to have the turbo installed and then sold through "select" Kawasaki dealers with NO warranty all for the dirt cheap price of $5,000.00! Serious cash back in '78! They didn't sell well so the '79 models were left over '78s that they repainted black with kick ass graphics and a spyder header. They sold out fast but production was dropped after '79 due to Kalifornia tree hugger emissions that stated a dealer could not sell a motorcycle with a modified exhaust system.

If I could find the right one...especially a '79, I'd fork out some serious $$$$ for it.

(DaCol. @ Sep. 13 2006,11:10)
(heavybusa @ Sep. 13 2006,06:54) hmmm, lets see.

Where was I in 1980.....

Oh yeah BEING BORN!!! 04/17/80!!

laugh.gif
old timers!!
Well, ya miss out on the best years of your life that you didn't live  
post-52-02136-welcome.gif

newbie.gif
 to life  
jump9.gif
laugh.gif
Aint that the truth. Glad I got to live through the 70s and especially the 80s.

Then there's the 90s...

Waaaah I'm a rat trapped in a cage! Feel sorry for me!
Waaaah I'm a loser so why don't you kill me!
Give me Ritalin! Give me anti depressants!
I have issues so I'm going to go postal in school.
Don't worry it's not your fault it's societies fault!
After you do your "time out" we'll go see a crappy movie with shiddy CGI effects.
Gee we can't come up with our own look so let's rip off the 60s and 70s.

Wish I could somehow trade the 90s in for the 60s!
smile.gif
Hell I'd even take the 50s!

laugh.gif

Heck, I still have a 1983 cm450a hondamatic...about 10,000 miles I think......It's a turd but hey it's different....thinking about getting a stunt sprocket for it...

I thank everyone who responded. The stories sure put a smile on my face along with the memories.

Brad

I had a Honda 425, year I am not sure. I had a Honda Nighthawk 450, Then a nighthawk "S" 700, Then a ZX-11, Then My Busa which I have now. Time flys!!

around 82 i bought a 81 suzuki gs 1000L i changed the plates to a 850, fooled alot of people. won a few races that way, tried a top end run against a cbx, his 6cyl pulled on off and left me. the gs was a nice riding bike with a kerker 4 into 1 header. that thing was loud.

My first bike was a 1983 Honda CB1100 super sport. First time I road it I scared the hell out of myself by going 55 mph in 2nd gear. Then about 6 months later I bought my first busa. 99 copper and silver, mint. First time I road that I was totally unprepared for how fast it was. 80 in 1st gear is a lot to handle when its only your 2nd bike ever. Sold that bike about 2 years ago and this Tuesday I will be going to purchase my 3rd motorcycle, a 2004 LE Hayabusa. I can`t wait to get back on it!!!!

Ahh...the memories!

First bike for me at 16 yrs old was a '73 Honda 750 four. I wanted that turbo Kawi so bad I could taste it! Also wanted a CBX....

In 1981 I bought a new Seca 550. Still got it.

81seca.jpg

It doesn't get ridden much anymore...had several bikes between this one and the Busa, just never could bring myself to sell her. Probably never will....

Back