Fast Five +

Yeah Blanca that's good info and exactly what I was talking about. Didn't know they had CF fuel tanks and could definitely explain the fiery explosions. I see all the time people wrecking and dying from wrecking exotic or muscle cars @ high speeds but as soon as I heard about Paul Walker and the type of car it reminded of the Ryan Dunn crash. They both died in similar fashions in the same exact cars...

He was a passenger in his own Carrera Gt from what I read.
These cars have carbon fiber gas tanks which are very light and strong but very brittle as well.
Flex or bend CF and will crack and snap hence letting out the fuel onto white hot turbo exhaust which is not a healthy combo.

I've never heard of this. What year did they change the aluminum fuel tank to carbon fiber?

US models are fitted with a leak diagnostic pump. From the pictures, all the safety equipment in the world would not have helped. IMO, a couple of middle aged men acting like teenagers on a public street in broad daylight...thank God no innocent people were killed.
If this were a couple of kids in a riced out Honda Civic, people would be making Darwin comments and wanting their parents' heads on a silver platter for "raising them wrong". Make it a high dollar exotic with an actor in the passenger seat and it becomes a national tragedy.

If this were a couple of kids in a riced out Honda Civic, people would be making Darwin comments and wanting their parents' heads on a silver platter for "raising them wrong". Make it a high dollar exotic with an actor in the passenger seat and it becomes a national tragedy.

Is all what the media wants to report, we don't even know much about the driver, just because he wasn't a celebrity. :down:
RIP Roger Rodas!

He was a passenger in his own Carrera Gt from what I read.
These cars have carbon fiber gas tanks which are very light and strong but very brittle as well.
Flex or bend CF and will crack and snap hence letting out the fuel onto white hot turbo exhaust which is not a healthy combo.

Unfortunately the way the car looks, I don't think it would have mattered...flames or not.

RIP Paul

I've never heard of this. What year did they change the aluminum fuel tank to carbon fiber?

US models are fitted with a leak diagnostic pump. From the pictures, all the safety equipment in the world would not have helped. IMO, a couple of middle aged men acting like teenagers on a public street in broad daylight...thank God no innocent people were killed.

I don't know where I thought it was a cf tank?
Seems like it is aluminum. But from what I read while tryig to find material was that the location is very sketchy as far as safety is concerned.

Porsche Carrera GT Fuel Tank : Where is it? - Team-BHP

And like others are saying from the pics it doesn't really look like it would have made a difference as that thing disintegrated!

I cannot for the life of me see how CNN thinks its news to say that 'speed may have been a factor'?
No sheet Sherlock!!!

I saw a blip in the news yesterday that no one was saying speed was a factor just yet. I get it, you want the concrete evidence and word from authorities, but with wreckage like that, well, we all know you don't get that kind of damage going 20 mph. Question is just how fast were they going? I'm thinking triple digits easily...

I saw a blip in the news yesterday that no one was saying speed was a factor just yet. I get it, you want the concrete evidence and word from authorities, but with wreckage like that, well, we all know you don't get that kind of damage going 20 mph. Question is just how fast were they going? I'm thinking triple digits easily...

Fast enough to have died from it, that's how fast.

Yeah Blanca that's good info and exactly what I was talking about. Didn't know they had CF fuel tanks and could definitely explain the fiery explosions. I see all the time people wrecking and dying from wrecking exotic or muscle cars @ high speeds but as soon as I heard about Paul Walker and the type of car it reminded of the Ryan Dunn crash. They both died in similar fashions in the same exact cars...

Not that it matters, but they were two entirely different cars. Ryan Dunn had a Porsche 911 GT3 and Paul Walker a Porsche Carrera GT. Several hundred horsepower difference and if you watch the Top Gear episode for the Carrera GT, Jeremy Clarkson explains just how brutal of a car it is.

I can tell ya from the looks of the car they wouldn't have survived fire or no fire. If he was the passenger he was dead on impact. That's the side of the car that met tree first. RIP to both the passengers in that vehicle.

Yeah, but Dunn and the guy driving that night were drunk. Sounds like Walker and this guy just decided to take an exotic car for a spirited spin and quite obviously lost control. Both times, I would assume excessive speed is the big factor, and when you have a sudden stop with a fuel tank, chances are there's going to be an explosion.

They're saying:

1. Car was having issues. Stalling and maybe something else.

2. The two took the car for a drive to see if they could diagnose it.

3. Twenty minutes later they drove the car back, they were ~500m from the garage when the accident happened.

4. Trail of steering fluid was left before the crash impact, they think it was leaking.

5. They think the car was on fire before impact.

6. If car was already on fire, that would explain why they drove directly into a tree without skid marks. They were not going to be in a happy place or thinking logically.

All in all, it sounds like a horrible way to go -- hopefully it was a quick end, and not several minutes in agony.

They're saying:

1. Car was having issues. Stalling and maybe something else.

2. The two took the car for a drive to see if they could diagnose it.

3. Twenty minutes later they drove the car back, they were ~500m from the garage when the accident happened.

4. Trail of steering fluid was left before the crash impact, they think it was leaking.

5. They think the car was on fire before impact.

6. If car was already on fire, that would explain why they drove directly into a tree without skid marks. They were not going to be in a happy place or thinking logically.

All in all, it sounds like a horrible way to go -- hopefully it was a quick end, and not several minutes in agony.

...just sad if they were burning before the crash.... :(

Back