Faring / Frame Sliders

pmcc

Registered
Hey guys,

I noticed on a couple of your pics on the board that some of you have put sliders through the faring, and not directly on to the faring screw. Is there any reason for this as i just got a set from the shop along the road and they are supposed to go where the faring screw is.

The only reason i can think of is that you are fixing them to a stronger area of the bike.

Let me know.. thanks

That is true, I put my sliders on within 7 days of buying my bike and it was somewhat of a hard lump to swallow because the bike looked really cool the way it was and now I had to cut holes in the fairing. If you use sliders that attach to the fairing screw it will not do much good because the diameter of the screw is so small and the Busa is so heavy, if your bike fell over how will that small screw hold up to all that weight. The sliders I have need holes drilled because they are fixed to the engine mounts which require drilling through the fairing. You will notice the engine mount screws are thicker and longer! this thickness can handle more pressure from falls. Of course sliders only work at low speeds because highspeed falls will likley snap them off or render them usless anyway because the bike will not fall down and slide straight, it will probably bounce and slide around. I would go with the sliders that use the engine mounts! I dropped my bike, and the sliders did the job, the Busa engine is so huge, it bulks out at the bottom, and not even the sliders can protect this portion. with touch up silver paint, you cant tell my lower fairing by the oil site glass was damaged, it was just scared a little and showed black. my rt hand pipe was scared a little by the screws that connect the pipe to the can, but nobody can really tell, it still looks new. get the holes drilled by a pro, i did mine myself and cut the holes a little too big and had to use a piece of black door edge guard to surround the hole and with the black slider, it looks perfect. be sure the longest slider is installed on the right because the engine sticks out more on the rt.
kickass.gif

youngtrump..

Yeah i thought so. You are right about the screws on the sliders that i have at the moment - they are the same diameter as the faring screw, so it wont really do much even for a standing fall. Thing is in Singapore we are limited by whats available on the market ... no real good stuff around.

I put them on because i dropped my bike. Side stand wasnt out fully and after walking two steps from the bike, crunch. Very minor damage, new clutch lever, and hurt pride.

So maybe i'lllook out for the correct sliders on the net, unless anyone else has a link that they can direct me to.

Paul.

PMCC,
I just got some frame sliders from Tricktape.com. They sell a lot of different bike stuff. I think I paid $45 - $50 for them. Heres a pic of them mounted on my bike.
Regards Jimbod.
smile.gif

P1010598.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

I noticed on a couple of your pics on the board that some of you have put sliders through the faring, and not directly on to the faring screw. Is there any reason for this as i just got a set from the shop along the road and they are supposed to go where the faring screw is.

The only reason i can think of is that you are fixing them to a stronger area of the bike.

Let me know.. thanks
Exactly......the sliders that attach to the fairing are ok for a drop in the garage or whatever, but they'll peel right off in a low side. Cut the holes man.

Busa_side.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimbo do you have clear turn signals? Or are they tinted? I would not mind finding some that are either tinted black or perferably blue.

Thanks guys,

Ok, since I have to cut holes in the faring, do any of you have good guidlines as to ho to do it. I am fairly good with my hands and trust myself to do it alone. I dont trust the workshops here in Singapore to do "craftwork". Mechanics ok, but not cosmetic.

It'll be a while b4 i get the sliders sent over, so plenty of time to plan ahead.

Does starting with a small hole, working out to the correct position and diameter sound right?

Thanks guys,

Ok, since I have to cut holes in the faring, do any of you have good guidlines as to ho to do it. I am fairly good with my hands and trust myself to do it alone. I dont trust the workshops here in Singapore to do "craftwork". Mechanics ok, but not cosmetic.

It'll be a while b4 i get the sliders sent over, so plenty of time to plan ahead.

Does starting with a small hole, working out to the correct position and diameter sound right?
i went to home dopot and got a hole drill bit. the sliders are about 2inches in diameter so i got the 2 inch bit. it is built with a normal looking drill bit, but is surrounded by a cylinder type metal with teeth on it so as the drill bit goes through, the metal starts to make contact and cuts the 2inch hole. take the fairing aloose, take out the engine mount bolt, and stick a slim marker into the engine mount so that the point sticks out so when you hold the fairing back up it makes a little dot in the inside of the fairing, take a regular drill bit, a small one, and drill from the inside out, then hold the fairing back up and see if the hole lines up with the engine mount hole, and make sure it does, because you will now drill from the outside in with your 2 inch hole bit, again, make sure the drill bit of the 2 inch bit lines up correctly with the engine mount hole, and as you drill with the 2 inch metal, DO NOT try to drill with the saw portion flush against the fairing, let the left side of the saw touch first and start the left side of the hole and drill in the rest of the way at the sam angle. BE sure you do NOT let the drill bit hit the inside of the engine mount hole, because it may strip the hole. as you go along all else will fall into play, you may even find a better way along the way. I STRONGLY RECOMEND THAT YOU TAKE IT TO SOMEONE THAT DOES IT OFTEN. if you cut the hole messed up, you will have to widen it more to fit in the slider, and you will be VERY PISSED. i almost messed up mine, but used a sharp nife to carve out a tad more fairing to make it fit. my bike was brand new, and i almost died when i thought i screwed up the hole.

Thanks guys,

i went to home dopot and got a hole drill bit. the sliders are about 2inches in diameter so i got the 2 inch bit. it is built with a normal looking drill bit, but is surrounded by a cylinder type metal with teeth on it so as the drill bit goes through, the metal starts to make contact and cuts the 2inch hole. take the fairing aloose, take out the engine mount bolt, and stick a slim marker into the engine mount so that the point sticks out so when you hold the fairing back up it makes a little dot in the inside of the fairing, take a regular drill bit, a small one, and drill from the inside out, then hold the fairing back up and see if the hole lines up with the engine mount hole, and make sure it does, because you will now drill from the outside in with your 2 inch hole bit, again, make sure the drill bit of the 2 inch bit lines up correctly with the engine mount hole, and as you drill with the 2 inch metal, DO NOT try to drill with the saw portion flush against the fairing, let the left side of the saw touch first and start the left side of the hole and drill in the rest of the way at the sam angle. BE sure you do NOT let the drill bit hit the inside of the engine mount hole, because it may strip the hole. as you go along all else will fall into play, you may even find a better way along the way.  I STRONGLY RECOMEND THAT YOU TAKE IT TO SOMEONE THAT DOES IT OFTEN. if you cut the hole messed up, you will have to widen it more to fit in the slider, and you will be VERY PISSED. i almost messed up mine, but used a sharp nife to carve out a tad more fairing to make it fit. my bike was brand new, and i almost died when i thought i screwed up the hole.
You can do that.....but you must remember to cut the hole a bit bigger than the slider. Give enough clearance all the way around the hole for the slider to bend without cracking the plastic anyways. I have about a half inch all the way around the slider. I also used a Dremel, 'cause on the left side the hole will touch the fairing stay bolt hole. You must cut around it.

Back