Fan dies after being struck by a tire @ the NHRA AZ Nationals

Takeuon

Registered
Quite Sad :down: Woman dies after being hit by tire from NHRA crash - NASCAR - Yahoo! Sports

And I find it disheartening that NHRA.com doesn't even have anything up conveying their condolences. What's up w/ that ???

Here's the copy & pasted version:

CHANDLER, ARIZ.(AP) —A woman died Sunday after being hit by a tire from a crashing dragster at the NHRA Arizona Nationals.

The woman was watching a first-round Top Fuel run at Firebird International Raceway when Antron Brown’s Matco Tools/U.S. Army dragster went out of control on the strip and its left rear wheel came off.

Alia Maisonet, a spokeswoman for the Gila River Indian Community, said the woman was airlifted to a hospital for treatment and later died. Gila River emergency personnel were among the first to respond to the scene.

Maisonet said she didn’t know the victim’s name or hometown.

“The entire NHRA community is deeply saddened by today’s incident and sends its thoughts and prayers to the woman’s family and friends,†the National Hot Rod Association said in an e-mailed statement.

Franki Buckman, the track’s executive vice president, said Firebird International Raceway also is deeply saddened by the incident.

Brown was released by the track medical staff, but went to Chandler Regional Hospital for further observation, according to a statement from Don Schumacher Racing. The NHRA said Brown wasn’t injured.

The Associated Press sent an e-mail to Brown’s Brownsburg, Ind.-based racing team seeking comment after the woman died.

The racing continued after the accident, and John Force advanced to his second straight Funny Car final before the session was postponed because of rain. Force, the 60-year-old star who ended a 40-race winless streak last week with his record 127th victory, will meet Jack Beckman on Monday.

fan-dies-pd.jpg

Last edited:
RIP.

What a sad story...

A reminder to enjoy all that you do, folks...

It's not really something that NHRA would like to promote I'm sure. I think the press release was the proper thing to do.

RIP

This sounds like a freak accident though. I do hope we don't see NHRA start putting nets along side the track. That would really ruin the experience.

i dont think i have ever seen a tire come off a car like that one did at a drag race, i mean its a freak thing to see, anyway very sad and prayers to the womans family....

The wheel hop from that side of the track was HORRIBLE. This tragic accident was not the first car to run down the track with wheel hop. I saw 3 races lost because of it. This cars (the accident) tire hopped so bad I am shocked that it did not come apart itself. Very sad that a fan died as a result of the tire flying off. Very sad indeed.

when you go to a top fuel race, you know you're watching 16000 horsepower. it's not safe. just isn't. accidents are an unfortunate thing, and i'm sure our thoughts are with her family.

The wheel sheared the studs off. Terrible accident. There were a lot of issues with the track at this race, bet you will see a major overhaul, or they won't be on the schedule next year.
The woman that was killed was involved in nostalgia drag racing I believe, and I'm sure she realized the danger involved with the sport. Still a tragic accident, and my heart goes out to her surviving family members.
Antron Brown's confidence will be severely shaken, and with good reason. I'm sure he feels responsible, even though there was nothing he could have done.

How did it come off ?
As a fan of Formula One they eliminated this yrs ago by incorporating retaining straps into the cars so wheels cannot separate from the chassis.
Not near as much HP ok but still an F1 car hits walls at 200 and their wheels don't fly off .
Have not in at least ten yrs. Should be a way to fix this and unfortunately it took a death to wake them up . Just like the Luger who died at the olympics . Woke em up and made changes. I can see chassis changes coming.

Sad for her to pass like that.
I hope it was quick and painless and her kids if any did not see it .

It sheared the wheel studs. 8k hp will do that from time to time. Danger is an inherent part of racing of any sort, when you are talking about the kind of forces required to push a fuel car to the numbers they run the danger is multiplied many times over. Comparison to F1 is invalid, these cars are traveling at over 100 mph in 60 feet, the wheels and tires are much bigger and the spectator positioning is totally different. If you have been to an NHRA event you know that safety is a big focus for everyone involved, but unfortunately these things happen. It was tragic accident that claimed this woman's life.

Mr Brown agreed the comp is not realy valid. I stated that but still.
F1 cars hit walls at 200 and wheels dont come off. Apply that same principle to NHRA
only made beefier or stronger to hold them on.
I have been to many events in Englishtown, not recently and i know spectators are closer and the cars shoot like bullets rather than flying by but still now we have a dead woman and a driver with that on his conscience.
Something can be done.
I think you will see them looking at what happened and how to prevent it and the natural answer will be 'wheel/tire retention devices' no matter the design...

What a tragedy.

Does anyone know if she was standing in the return lane. That's what I heard on the radio.

I understand what your saying saiid but the manner in which the wheel dislodges is so different from a crash I'm not sure if a retaining strap couldve contained the tire, if not it couldve even made it worse. Kinda slingshotting it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Did not see it so I dont know.
Just seems like something will be looked into to prevent this.
I dont see huge fences and walls going up so it will have to be modified equipment maybe...

WOW HATE 2 SEE IT.I have talked to Antron in line @ indy prostar race few yeaeras ago real nice guy.I know it has 2 bother him.ONe time @ indy NHRA VANDERGRIFT DID A BLOWOVER I WAS DIVING 4 THE ground dragster went into pieces almost did get hit by some.

Very Sad .... I saw it happen but did not really know the outcome...untill later.
Antron Brown has to be one of the nicest drivers anywhere... sorry for the loss of the Woman RIP. And i hope Antron can deal with this incident.... probably alot easier said than done. :please:

Even though it's at your own risk, the Army is a sponsor(and of course no way responsible), I hope they do something for the family, even if it's just a formal appology.
Very sad.

Back