False neutrals under hard acceleration

mikeyusf

Registered
This could be my fault, but when I clutchless shift into second under hard acceleration, my bike will sometimes go into neutral, causing my engine to redline, and it just about shoots me over the handlebars.

this has happened during the absolute worst times, for instance-

1) beating my friend's GSXR1000 by about a half a bike length and lost
2) keeping even with a modified zx12 and lost because of that 2nd gear shift
3) pulling a "roll-on" wheelie and almost crashing because the bike slammed down at about 80mph

I've heard that I might not be clicking up hard enough on the lever, causing the tranny to not be fully engaged.

Has anyone had this problem? Is my transmission shot? or am I just not doing it right?

My shifts are super smooth, I dont even feel the bike tug or jerk, I have the clutchless shift down pretty good, it feels super smooth. But this happens sometimes

Help me out!!!!! I cant be beaten by 1000's and ZX12's because of this sh*t!!!

LOL

Mike

I have been having the same problem. At first I thought it was do to lazy shifting, but the bike grabs 2nd and falls into neutral after I hit about 7-8 thousand rpm. It doesn,t do it all the time (but mostly when I am trying to show off). I have not done a clutch mod yet, but I have been wondering if that would fix the problem.

Any other thoughts?

Boozer

This happens to alot of bikes because you have to go through Nuetral on your way to 2nd. My 1100 was the same way and eventually you can mess up 2nd gear so it pops out all of the time. When I drag raced my 11 I would use the clutch for 2nd gear only then powershift. Eventually I bought an electrical kill box that when you pull up on the shifter you wouldnt even have to let up on the gas to shift it killed the motor for a splpit second letting it go into gear. I dont know if they offer these for the Busa but I liked mine. I also moved the shifter down one spline on the shaft to get a more positive shift (I have done this to the Busa as well) but that puts your toes (I have a size 13 shoe) more at risk to drag in a hard left hander. Also makes it almost impossible to shift in a stand up wheelie. It did help me some If you have the time and money you may consider having your gears undercut so they suck into gear better. Dont know about that for the Busa though again was an 1100 mod

Interesting advertisment as follows
GSXR Transmission Shift Mechanism Kit
The "Paddle Shifter" for your foot -
The Busa's need help in shifting. Track tests report that 2nd gear had a repeatable ability to pop out into "neutral" under hard acceleration.
Aside from that, the Busa gsxr shift action is very flat feeling and gives very little tactile feedback as to confidence that it's really in gear or not. I hate it when you shift and you can hear the shift mechanism sort of lazily "kathwaka" into it's final gear location. I like a confident, proper "snick"!
After redesigning and testing and redesigning and testing, and redesigning and testing...... I now see how easy it is to get it wrong, though.
We have a new detent "star" with a copyrighted profile (yep, the "science failed, so, it's artwork - so it's copyrighted) that includes a particular combination of compound arcs and radii that produces a shift action that makes it almost impossible to miss a shift ("almost" is the key word here!), especially 2nd gear. At least, if you miss 2nd, now, you will be REALLY surprised - cause it's now such a rare occurrence.
Downshifting confidence is 100% easier and better, also. Maybe that's just as important as not missing upshifts!
I'm happy with the "star" and couldn't possibly change it for the better and I figure that it will take Suzuki 2 years to copy it!
2 Versions:
1. New manufacture:
Beautifully machined on 8 Axis CNC machinery, machined from solid Cro Mo steel bar stock, heat treated, Gold Zinc plated, a complex radii, beautiful part.
$130
2. Reworked "stock":
Same as above - except(!) finely machined on reworked on a built-up, stock Suzuki core.
This piece is virtually identical to the stock Suzuki part in "from outside" visible color, and, unless specifically looking for it, appears to be a stock part.
$150 with $25 core charge
can be found here.
Factory parts

I'm wondering if the factory will warranty the transmission work, but if I can get the tech to mail out my gears to be undercut on the side, hmmmmmm

Mike

I NEVER clutchless shift from 1st to 2nd... dunno why, but its too hard on her. clutchless alll the rest of the time but not first to second... try racing her using the clutch from 1st to 2nd, see if it pops out.............

I only use the clutch between 1st and 2nd after that is when clutchless shifting is needed. But I don't think using the clutch will slow you down much anyway.

hey guys if you are having those problems, better get ready to your shift forks and drum replaced. I have a Suzuki mechanic repairing mine now. Suzuki's warranty won't cover it because they say it is because of sloppy shifting

If you are in second and then it pops out I would say your shift fork is bent. Why do you not use the clutch? Just keep it full throttle and bang the clutch. It is easier on the gears and I think faster to use the clutch. How do you not use the clutch, let off the gas or bang off the rev limiter both will slow you down.

its easy to clutchless shift into second. Give the bike about 80 percent throttle in first, then let off to 60 percent throttle, lift up quickly and GET BACK ON IT, the bike shifts smooth as ####

The reason why I've been clutchless shifting is because I've been racing some seriously fast GSXR!000's and highly modified ZX12's with my stock busa. Sure I can bow down and lose the race because I dont want to tear up my tranny, but f*ck it, I'll loop that bike, I'll tear the transmission out of it before I let a GSXR1000 or ZX12 beat me in a race.

Or, I'll just lose and let the guy post on here why his GSXR1000 or ZX12 is faster than the busa. Take your pick

Mike

The same thing happens to a lot of people. The more power you have the worse it will get. It is hard to get your feet up quick enough, It happened to me a lot at the track, and with my horse power it was real bad. I designed an airshifter bracket and started putting kits together. Problem gone...

air_shifter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
you cannot have it both ways fellas. If you cluthless shift eventually you will tear up the transmission. If you decide to undercut the gears, make sure you acquire a very good performance mechanic. I know street racers have done this and ruined the gears completely. Transmission work is not cheap the parts alone can cost more than a grand and the labor can be equally expensive. most shops will require 50 percent as down payment. I'm speaking from personal experience regarding this issue.

Mine did the same thing. I just starting shifting a little "harder". Just be more deliberate when shifting into second.

Back