false neutral

busanewb

Registered
Hey yall. New to the forum and Hayabusa's.

I just bought a 2015 hayabusa a couple of weeks ago and experienced a false neutral between 5th and 6th six times now. I read lots of posts on it, and apparently there are a few fixes with riding technique and adjusting the shifter down. My main concern is what kind of damage did I do to the transmission. I did hear a loud pop when finally getting it into 6th gear. Ive read that forcing it into gear like that is not suggested, and that I should of slowed to a stop and shifted it down. So give it to me straight, did I mess the bike up?

Thanks yall!

This comes up on the board from time to time. Do a search and you will find a number of threads.

Mine did the same thing, but after run in went away and never came back. Just make sure you shift from 5 to 6 like you mean it until the bike is run in.

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup:

I seriously doubt there's an issue with the bike but at the 600 mile service you could ask them to check the shifter but you just have to shift this bike like you mean it brother

I already had my 600 mile service. It had done the false neutral twice before the service and 4 times after. I agree it was probably my shifting because it has happened after 100 mile long rides and I was probably tired. But Im concerned about the shift forks being damaged... Whats the likelyhood of it damaging the forks or any of the transmission after having the hard shifts into 6th gear after the false neutral these past 6 times it has happened?

Don't sweat it bro. Can get your habits and enjoy your new bike. If you damaged you shift fork you will know it. :welcome: to the org.

I've had a couple of Busa's that found a false neutral.
Normally the same thing fix's it.

# make sure the arm that clamps to the shift spline is at 90 degrees to the rod that moves it. Not angled either way.

# keep the chain adjusted correctly.

# make sure you don't have sloppy Cush drives in the rear hub

# don't get lazy with your shifts. Firm and positive.

I've done a few nasty "missed gear" shifts that really made me cringe, but never had an issue from harming anything.

I've had a couple of Busa's that found a false neutral.
Normally the same thing fix's it.

# make sure the arm that clamps to the shift spline is at 90 degrees to the rod that moves it. Not angled either way.

# keep the chain adjusted correctly.

# make sure you don't have sloppy Cush drives in the rear hub

# don't get lazy with your shifts. Firm and positive.

I've done a few nasty "missed gear" shifts that really made me cringe, but never had an issue from harming anything.

^^This!

I thought the same exact thing when mine was newer. It's taken my new busa about 2000 miles to work itself out of that issue. (or to train me to avoid it.) It very rarely happens anymore. I do stop at 5th when I'm conscious of where I'm at in the gears, (usually when getting on the interstate) then do the shift to 6th cautiously when I want the lower RPM's.

When it was happening more frequently, after the inevitable over-rev, I would just keep the clutch in and force it into 6th and make sure it said 6th on the display then let out the clutch carefully and go on. My gear indicator goes blank when it's in between 5th and 6th. Also if I know I'm shifting to 6th, I'll glance down and the display before letting out the clutch.

When you change the oil, just look for metal flakes. I didn't see any metal at all on a 1200 mile oil change to synthetic that I did. I didn't see the first 600mile change though because it was done by the dealer. I'd expect that if you chipped something and it was bouncing around in there, there would be indications of it in the oil.

I do plan to do the Texas Mile this fall and am hoping the issue is truly cleared up. I am sure I was shifting it HARD when it was still doing it.

Did you get that 'oh sh**' smell of metal and something burning? I think it's from the over-rev and/or the crank case venting, and hopefully the rev-limiter keeps it from doing any damage. The first time it happened to me, I thought I had broken something from all the torque I had just unleashed:)

First of all welcome :welcome: I understand where your coming from its also happened to me a couple of times on my 08 here is what i do now 2 fingers on the clutch when shifting shift and whilst keeping the revs up just blip the throttle a little bit kinda like a power shift it goes in to 6th gear all the time now no worries highly unlikely you have damaged the shift forks :thumbsup:

Back