FALLEN's Gen 1 shock rebuild

looks great did you ride it yet?
Nope but feel difference just siting on it; put it on the ground was on my toes when seated will lower a bit on Wednesday. Have been waiting on front fork seals to arrive to be honest came down hard on that last big wheelie from about 12-1 o'clock really got my attention. What a rush though.

Fallen yes got to ride the other day & yes it rained on me well down poured but did not care. Finished the front fork upgrade with valves, springs, proper shims & 7.5 weight oil. I did have the spring under to much preload trying to get proper sag but readjusted it last night. Went to the gas station spilled gas all over the tank as there was gas left over from last use which came out soon as I turned the spout over. WTF Filled up then went inside for napkins to wipe tank down. Both guys are saying nice bike & the helmet too soon as I walk in. Nice surprise forgot all about the gas mishap, left in a good mood hit 1st a bit nothing crazy banged 2nd & instant wheelie about 8-10" high. Think nice, you know those clerks were watching out the window, third thought oh yeah this is not your old setup you better respect it cause that was half what you like to do. But the forks took it in stride. Will post after next ride.

Backed off the spring tension other day after 1st ride it was to stiff even though worked well. Road to work last night and shock performed flawlessly; biggest thing of note was how I did not notice small to moderate bumps at all. Usually that is not the case big bumps would stand up for but no drama. Took about 30 miles before my brain realized it is working way better than stock gen1 & the rear is matching the front forks; will have to ride awhile before figuring out if rebound/compression is correct but it is in the ballpark with Racetech's suggested #s again thank you to Fallen and Mabupa for the help & support.

Backed off the spring tension other day after 1st ride it was to stiff even though worked well. Road to work last night and shock performed flawlessly; biggest thing of note was how I did not notice small to moderate bumps at all. Usually that is not the case big bumps would stand up for but no drama. Took about 30 miles before my brain realized it is working way better than stock gen1 & the rear is matching the front forks; will have to ride awhile before figuring out if rebound/compression is correct but it is in the ballpark with Racetech's suggested #s again thank you to Fallen and Mabupa for the help & support.
Great to hear. Nothing like giving a part a new life, always warms this old grease monkey's heart!

You should pick a route you know well with a good mix of bumps, smooth, turn, sweepers, etc. Then ride it with current settings and then methodically try going up and down on the settings. Write it down, including your impressions. This takes a lot of time, took me a full weekend, probably did 100 laps! But after that I knew exactly what to do as far as adjustments based on bike behavior. You will quickly learn why test riders are a special breed of rider -smooth, consistent, repeatable motions on the bike. Only way to truly know thy suspension! Since I've had the suspension I have been lucky to have an Ohlins factory tech at my local shop. I noticed he has a black book of notes, and no he wouldn't give me a copy! I come in and he asks a few questions, makes a couple clicks, grunts, and its perfect. Pretty crazy.

Anyone considering this Gen2 upgrade from Gen1 or doing the internals on their OE Gen2 rear shock should not rule it out. If you have to have Ohlin's Penski or don't mind parting with a grand or more for a rear shock then by all means have at it. If on a budget you can build or have built a comparable unit (valves, proper shims, oil etc.) for the street, Drag Strip if you buy a higher rated spring as Gordon 24 is doing, track day still an upgrade but with out the 30 some levels of adjustability of remote reservoir big $ shock. This is just my opinion concerning the needs of most riders & keep in mind I am not a professional builder but there is no black arts going on . Those seeking a specific specialized or the highest levels of riding/performance have to pony up and take the other route.

Anyone considering this Gen2 upgrade from Gen1 or doing the internals on their OE Gen2 rear shock should not rule it out. If you have to have Ohlin's Penski or don't mind parting with a grand or more for a rear shock then by all means have at it. If on a budget you can build or have built a comparable unit (valves, proper shims, oil etc.) for the street, Drag Strip if you buy a higher rated spring as Gordon 24 is doing, track day still an upgrade but with out the 30 some levels of adjustability of remote reservoir big $ shock. This is just my opinion concerning the needs of most riders & keep in mind I am not a professional builder but there is no black arts going on . Those seeking a specific specialized or the highest levels of riding/performance have to pony up and take the other route.
I completely agree that you can have a safe bike that performs extremely well with a properly setup or modified stock suspension system. Few of us can out ride even a box stock Busa rolled right off the showroom floor. Obviously the extreme power guys are taking the Busa to new levels but for us parts worshipers its a much more subtle elevation of the basic bike's personality.

That said, there is clearly a refinement to be had with expensive parts but the cost vs. benefit ratio can be difficult to justify for some. If you spend some time with an expensive refined bike like my BMW, it is clearly a level of refinement above the Busa. Yet the Busa is more compelling and fun to ride, and certainly my first choice saddle.

As it turns out the Busa is an engine, that's all that matters. And this formula has sustained it in a class of it's own for 20 years. Other bikes have evolved, the Busa is still an engine and you cannot deny Suzuki got it right in both concept and execution. Still, no matter what you bolt to it (even with Ti bolts, Lol) it's not going to turn with a literbike. If you taught that literbike jockey a lesson in the twisties, you beat the rider, not the bike. Frankly, the only real performance increase you can make to the Busa is, in my opinion, safer brakes and even more power.

My experiment is basically to see if I can give the Busa a feeling of more refinement. I have attempted to give the bike higher quality parts in all the places the rider interacts with the bike (suspension, brakes, controls). We will soon see if this transforms the bike into a "new thing" or an engine with expensive brakes!

I share the same opinion as you. I never rode a bike with ohlins, but I’m really happy with the “bang for the buck” of my upgraded OEM rear shock. It was a very fun little project and learning experience. I find myself going down the road and picturing in my head, how the rear shocking is working back there and the internals moving. LOL!

Last edited:
I share the same opinion as you. I never rode a bike with ohlins, but I’m really happy with the “bang for the buck” of my upgraded OEM rear shock. It was a very fun little project and learning experience. I find myself going down the road and picturing in my head, how the rear shocking is working back there and the internals moving. LOL!
Yes especially after seeing all the stock parts layed out. Then considering the newly improved & extra parts that change, control or restrict volume flow get the think tank going.

So i told Fallen i would rebuild it so here are pictures

View attachment 1597272

View attachment 1597273

View attachment 1597274
This the update on rear shock donated by Fallenarch.
It’s a race tech bladder, it will be listed on their web page.
Oh and welcome along... where in NZ are you?
I’m in Canterbury, tell us more about yourself and your bike....
It’s a race tech bladder, it will be listed on their web page.
Oh and welcome along... where in NZ are you?
I’m in Canterbury, tell us more about yourself and your bike....
Hey mate. I’m in Rotorua. I don’t have a busa but am putting a busa shock in a bandit 1250. Do you have a link to the bladder and seal kit. I can’t find it on their website.
I brought a “mint” shock but it’s had it. Leaking and the end cap has a hole so needs a full rebuild and a new rubber stop

Hey mate. I’m in Rotorua. I don’t have a busa but am putting a busa shock in a bandit 1250. Do you have a link to the bladder and seal kit. I can’t find it on their website.
I brought a “mint” shock but it’s had it. Leaking and the end cap has a hole so needs a full rebuild and a new rubber stop
1629430307083.png

this is the link to the page with that reservoir cap, by the looks of it, Fallen's shock had a race tech cap like this one fitted with the original bladder fitted to the cap.
1629430548657.png

that image is also from the same page (link above)
So you can actually order those parts from Race Tech.
The original reservoir cap does not have the schrader valve, and this replacement item does, way easier to sort out than the needle valve type (OEM)

Last edited:
Back