FalconCop 161, need repair advice

OB_Mr Bear

Registered
FC, when you had your repair done, did the insurance company want to total out your bike? I'm thinking about doing it on the insurance, but I want to keep the bike. There's nothing damaged, structurally.

The guys told me that on sportbikes, the insurance companies mostly just total them out, because they don't want to risk being liable later, if some hidden damage causes a second crash. I don't want to have to bid to buy it back as a salvage bike, and all that stuff. I just want it fixed. Just wondering what went on with your insurance. Thanks much.

Hey Mr Bear, as you remember I had the same problem with my bike. I claimed it with my insurance company. They told me to take it to the shop and have the mechanic do an estimate. I was surprised to see that the total damage, just superficial as well, came to a total of $4,500+. The adjuster told me that they estimate the price of the bike by the current bluebook trade-in value. For my 99 stock Hayabusa it was around $6,500. He told me that if the total repair cost came to 75% of the trade-in value, they would total the bike and I'd have to buy it back. I was a little nervous because the bike was in perfect running condition (as a matter of fact I'm ridding it right now) and I didn't want them to total it.

To my luck, it was a couple hundred dollars short of 75%. I got all my things ordered right now and can't wait till I get my Busa looking good again.

I guess it depends on what kind of damage your bike has. So you get an idea, here is a list of all the things I had to replace:

All Panels (except the tail hump)
One turn signal lense
Both stock mufflers
Both mirrors
Both bar ends
Brake lever
Windscreen
The bracket where the mirrors screw in.
Front fender

Well, I saw pictures of your bike and it seems that you did a little more damage than I did. I hope it doesn't have to be totaled. It also depends in your insurance company's policies.

Good luck!

Bear, My Spill was in Oct. of 99 at that time Statefarm had no Database for the Hayabusa so they took a big hit with my accident. Adjuster really asked no questions and just went with what my dealer told him was wrong. With what they paid out over $6,000 when all was done,,maybe they should have totaled it. the most costly one piece i had wrong was my forks were bent,the rest was bodywork and can,lever,mirrors and all that small BS.
I even got to keep & re-sell my banged up bodywork and make a killing with that $$$.

Now that we're in June of 2000,Statefarm may just realize what this bike is and have some sort of Red Flag/Database on it, since they seem to go down like everyother day.
I to didn't wanna total my bike,,cause I loved it,it's 99,and it's copper )))

Good luck, Get back on it
161 ®

Just remember an accident on your bike counts as an accident in your car with Statefarm,so if you have an accident in your car within 3 yrs,expect your rates to go up BIG-Time !!
They whacked me with Bigger Bikes Rates after my Bike Spill.

161 ®

I figured they would do that, FC, but my agent told me awhile back that my bike and truck policies are separate policies, treated separately. I was surprised to hear that.

I own the bike. If the Ins. Co. cuts me a check, and I have the bike, that would be the best outcome for me. Make some of these aches worth it!

Bear, State Farm is my insurance company too. If the bike belongs to the bank (like mine does) they will not cut the check just to your name. They will put your name and the bank's name on it. You have to endorse it and send it to the bank along with a repair order from the shop. The shop does not have to be the same one that did the estimate. In my case, the shop that did the estimate is different than the one who is doing my repairs. I went to a different shop to get a repair order, I sent the check with that repair order to the bank. I told the bank that I was not going to get everyhting done there, they said that once the shop gets the check, they can give me the rest of the money so I can fix the rest wherever I want.

The only thing that the shop is doing is putting my exhaust, PCII, and remapping it. Well, after all that, there was about $28,000 left. I went to the shop after they got the money, but before they gave me the money back, they had to talk to the person at the bank who had told me that it was OK to get my money back and fix the rest (mostly panels) wherever I wanted. I guess they don't want to fall into fraud.

If the bike belongs to you. They will just issue the check to your name, then you can do whatever you want with it. I ordered the panels from To_Quick, so I saved a lot of money which I'm investing on my bike anyway.

Well, I guess it depends on the people at the bank. State Farm told me that they didn't care what I did with the money once they issued me the check. It was up to the bank and to the shop to be willing to work with you.

Bear... Let us know how State Farm treats you. A lot of us have their insurance.

You might tell your agent this too.

Good Luck man.

[This message has been edited by Lyle (edited 14 June 2000).]

Thanks. The guy at the shop today said 4 grand, easy. I asked him what the deal was regarding me keeping lightly-damaged parts as spares. He said that "probably" isn't possible. I think the shop just sells the scratched body panels, etc to salvage places, and makes more money off of it. I'm hoping I can get the ins. co to write me a check, I sign a release, and then I fix what I want to on it. It's State Farm, don't know how they work on something like this.

after they cut you a check, you can fix what you want and keep the rest of the money , just don't tell them. good luck

You're good to go then Bear. I would take it to the shop for an estimate as soon as posible, so you can get back on the road again.

When I dumped my YZF1000 on cold tires a few years back I told them that I hit a dog, which put it on my comprehensive, rather than my collision policy. That keeps your rates from going up as it doesn't count as an accident.

When the adjuster asked me what happened to the dog I told him it took off and was somehwere between Montana and New Jersey, but he bought it anyway

Got another bike as a backup, just need a few days off to cruise to Phoenix. Saw the Chiropractor today, he said two swollen disks. Told me to chill for the weekend, and said it will take about 6 weeks to get back to 100%.

Estimate came in at $5758. Unfortunately, my deductible is $1000...that's how I got the low rate. My agent tried to sell me $500 deductible, too. I lost that wager, at about $15 a month difference.

Back