Fairing Screens Installation

Mythos

Registered
Fairing Screens Installation​
Fairing screens don’t have much practical purpose but they are are an low cost, attractive appearance mod. They are also pretty simple to install.

I heard a question about the possibility of fairing screens causing engine heat to be trapped in the fairings. I have never heard anyone say that increased heat retention was noticed with fairing screens opposed to without. I had concerns that the screens might cause scratches where they fit close on the outside of the fairings. I have heard no comments regaurding any damage caused by the screens.

Installation of the popular no cut frame sliders (such as those made by T-Rex) would seem to be impossible with fairing screens installed. However, I have seen pictures of fairing screens trimmed to fit installed with frame sliders.

Fairing screens can be epoxied into the fairings if the mod is meant to be permanent. I always do my best to make my mods as easy to reverse as possible so I found silicone to be an appropriate adhesive for me. Silicone remains flexible but is very tough after it dries. It will be easier to reverse than epoxy but it will take considerably more work to remove it than simply pealing it off,

There are a number of fairing screen makers. I do not know if one brand is better than another. There are screens made with different sized mesh. I used screens made by KKC Products. They were purchased on Ebay for about $30.

Here is a link to the thread I started about the possibility of fairing screens causing damage to the fairing finish. There must be many other threads about fairing screens if you do a search.
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/175898-will-fairing-screens-scratch-fairings.html

Materials:
one set of fairing screens
side cutters
needle nose pliers
painters tape
soap and water
denatured alcohol
two saw horses
blankets
string
caulk gun
silicone sealant
two or three small weights (1-2lbs each)

Do First: Remove fairings that will have screens installed. (see https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/127746-gen2-hayabusa-fairing-tutorial-videos-w-pics.html

1a. Fairing screens are marked according to the hole they are shaped to fit. Place each fairing screen inside the fairing to check for obstructions. Then use a pair of side cutters to trim or snip any portion of the mounting area of the screen that requires reshaping.
cut2fit.jpg

1b. Use needle nose pliers to bend aside the snipped pieces mesh.
bend2fit.jpg

2. Test fit all of the fairing screens. The screens may be bent slightly so that the mounting surfaces willy fit nice and flat to the inside of the fairing.
handbend2fit.jpg

3. Pull aside the foam on the inside of the fairings where the mounting surface of the screens overlaps it. The foam may be held back with removable painters tape as shown in the pic below. The metallic heat shields by the exhaust should NOT be pealed up. The screens will be installed right over them (see step 8b below). Do the final test fitting of all of the screens.
testfit.jpg

4. Wash the mounting surfaces of the inside of the fairing with soap and water and wipe them with denatured alcohol.
alchwipe.jpg

5. The fairing will need to be positioned so that the fairing screens can be installed neatly. Place the fairing across two saw horses or similar structures so that it is elevated with none of the fairing vent holes obstructed.
tapefrngnplace.jpg
The fairing will stay in this position for at least several hours with a few pounds of weight hanging from it. The use of tape is essential to hold the fairing in place so that it does not fall on the floor. Also blankets between the outside surface of the fairing and the saw horse will be necessary to protect them from being scratched. It would be a wise idea to place blankets under the fairing while it is on the saw horses just in case the fairing should fall.

6. Choose a good point on the larger fairings to hang a light weight. A string should be tied where downward tension will pull the screen into even contact around the entire edge. Tie the string to and allow it to hang below.
weightstring.jpg

7. Place the fairing screens in position. Use a caulk gun and silicone sealant to apply several
globs around the edge of one screen so that it will be adhered to the inside of the fairing. You will have a minute or two before the silicone starts to firm up.
applyslcone.jpg

8a. Hang a one or two pound weight at the bottom string before the fresh silicone has a chance to harden.
screennstlsetup.jpg

8b. The small vent holes have screens that are difficult to position in such a way that weight may be hung from them. A small weight may be placed on top of them to hold them flat across the hole.
weightonscreen.jpg

9. After the silicone has dried over night, remove the weights from the screens and press the foam back into place where it touches the edges of the screens.
pressbackfoam.jpg

10. Install the fairings to your Hayabusa!

Weight Increase
My fairing screens weighed in at 5.70 oz.
Add another .6 oz for silicone

Net weight Increase: 6.30 oz

fairingscreensweight.jpg

Nice how to. Thanks for taking the time to post it up. Put some on mine and really like the look.

I made mine from gutter screen from home depot 9 years ago . I spray painted them and they stil look good. Nice way to give the bike a clean look rather than holes .

Back