Fairing screening

phierce

Registered
Thinking about getting some screen to close in the openings of my fairing. I want to match the screen in the ram air openings.
Anyone know where I can get some and how to attach it.
Thanks
Chris

peep out the APC screens they sell at discount auto or pep boys they run like $30 for the set you can cut and flex them to fit and the end result is awesome
as for the adhesion part i cant help there sorry

<!--EDIT|phatjoe
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080699498 -->

Cut the screen about 1/4" wider than the opening your going to cover. Hand Form First (fairing removed) lay fairing on something very soft....... Then use 100% clear silicon and lay a bead of material around the edges of the screen. Give it 24 hours to dry and reinstall all your fairings.......  
smile.gif

P.S. you may have to use something as a weight to hold the screen in place why it drys!

Thanks guys, it looks like a week worth of rain for the NE so maybe I'll check out Pep Boys to kill some time.

Well, as they say, timing is everything.. I just did this on Friday night. Here's what I did.. Got the screen from Home Depot.. It was $5 (Canadian!) for a sheet about 2 feet by 8 feet - way too much.. anyway.. I gut it a little large, formed it so it would lay down fairly well on its own. I then used thermal tape (available at an auto performance shop) and taped it all around. Seems to hold just fine and no waiting the 24 hours..

If you decide to do use the silicon.. make sure it's a high temperature version or you'll be dripping crud out the bottom of the fairings and making one HUGE mess.. I've seen it on a Gixxer and it's not pretty!

Got mine at home depot its been on for a year and still looks good . One roll does two bikes , matches perfect.

Thinking about getting some screen to close in the openings of my fairing. I want to match the screen in the ram air openings.
Anyone know where I can get some and how to attach it.
Thanks
Chris
Phierce,

Personally, I would use the APC material that can be purchased at the auto parts stores. A sheet of it runs about $32, but it's well worth it. If you cut all your pieces right, you can do two Busas easy. As for an adhesive material I would suggest buying an automotive adhesive called 'GOOP'. You can find it at most auto parts stores and it comes in a reddish-orange tube. Costs about $3.50. It's a clear adhesive and won't pick up garbage. Hot gluing them in is not a good idea since the fairings will be exposed to heat from the engine and the glue will become tacky again. To give you an idea of how well the GOOP works...I had my fairings repainted after my accident and the painter had to literally cut them out and grind off the small pieces with a grinder. Since my bike has been repainted, I have redone the fairings (the tail section also), and replaced the ram-air ones with the APC ones because they are a little thicker. But they do mold easily in place with your fingers. Just my .02, but it can sometime be worth a million bucks.

Brian

Good info Brian...I'm getting ready to do mine too and wasn't sure how to glue them down...I was thinking of using a glue gun, but makes perfect sense that that's not a good idea!

Got some pics of yours? Especially of the tail section? I think I want to do that part too...
cool.gif

bacharles, The GOOP is good stuff, I've used it before but didn't think to use it for this. Good Idea!
I still have to check out the auto store for the APC screen.

Well, as they say, timing is everything.. I just did this on Friday night.  Here's what I did.. Got the screen from Home Depot.. It was $5 (Canadian!) for a sheet about 2 feet by 8 feet - way too much.. anyway.. I gut it a little large, formed it so it would lay down fairly well on its own.  I then used thermal tape (available at an auto performance shop) and taped it all around.  Seems to hold just fine and no waiting the 24 hours..

If you decide to do use the silicon.. make sure it's a high temperature version or you'll be dripping crud out the bottom of the fairings and making one HUGE mess.. I've seen it on a Gixxer and it's not pretty!
haywood, Thats what I'm talking about!!
Looks kick ass.
I think the APC might look a little better we'll see.
I'll get some picks when I do mine.

Oh dont forget to make all the screen vents go the same way.....haahaahaa (don't ask)

Good info Brian...I'm getting ready to do mine too and wasn't sure how to glue them down...I was thinking of using a glue gun, but makes perfect sense that that's not a good idea!

Got some pics of yours?  Especially of the tail section?  I think I want to do that part too...
cool.gif
Sure do Michelle, but my email is shitty right now and I can't post any pics right now. I'll try working on it over the weekend. I have all the pics of my bike downloaded from my digital camera on the hard drive. Pics soon...I promise!

Brian

Back