Fairing screen.

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
I know this topic has come up before, but I couldn't find anything using the -search- feature. I typed in -fairing screen- and the results were mostly about fairing damage and replacement.

Anywho, I bought some fairing screens and was looking for a few pointers on putting them on. I bought them off of EBay for $20 only to find out I could get a similar screen MUCH cheaper at my local auto store. Oh well, spilled milk I guess  
sad.gif

Here's the listing

<!--EDIT|Spigga
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122991941 -->

Thank ya kindly.

Maybe I should have placed an "s" after screen...
blush.gif

<!--EDIT|Spigga
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123014024 -->

See, when no one else will help, I figure out how to search! LOL I'm just teasing you...use 100% silicone and you'll be fine...mine are over a year old and still in place.

Just be careful when installing 'em if you opt to bow them out. I cracked my paint on one fairing trying to bow them a bit...

Good mod, but be careful with the shaping like Michelle said. Once in place, secure them and let them sit overnight to make sure they dry. Had mine on for over a year without any problems.

GLAD TO HELP! TOOLS YOU WILL NEED: TIN SNIPS, SILICONE, AND SOME PATIENCE. YOU CAN GO TO PEP BOYS OR A LOCAL AUTO PART STORE FOR THE SCREENS. IT WILL SET YOU BACK ABOUT $35. I PUT APC SCREENS ON MY 01" USE YOUR THUMBS TO BEND THE SCREEN TO GET NICE SMOOTH CURVES. OH, AND TAKE YOUR TIME IT IS EASY.

Thanks VA!.

Not exact as big link before but the skinny of it.

Lowes, home depot or ace hardware.  Roll of 20ftx6" chrome looking gutter leaf guard.   Autozone, pepboys, etc black RTV high temp silcone adheasive.  In black tube.  Good tin snips/cutters.  Borrow them!  Soldering iron.

Cut pieces of screen to size slightly larger than hole.  Mold screen around inside of hole bowing outward.  USe solder iron heat to press down on screen to "tac weld" it into the plastic a little bit in small areas around perimeter of opening. (screen edges).  This will hold screen perfectly in place.  RTV all the way around.  Let dry.  Use flat head screw driver to help when using soldering iron.  $10.00 and hour - 2 hours.

JD

<!--EDIT|ICEMANN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123560584 -->

I installed mine via a roll of gutter screen from Lowes. $3.67 for a whole roll. I also ordered a set of those on Ebay and I was disappointed that it was the same as what I have. Now that being said if you want some nice ones go to Pep Boys and get some of the custom grill mesh they have there. I have seen it on Big_E's bike and it is much heavier, shiny-er and all around better. Big chunk of it about 8" X 24" is around $39.00

Thanks VA!.

Not exact as big link before but the skinny of it.

Lowes, home depot or ace hardware.  Roll of 20ftx6" chrome looking gutter leaf guard.   Autozone, pepboys, etc black RTV high temp silcone adheasive.  In black tube.  Good tin snips/cutters.  Borrow them!  Soldering iron.

Cut pieces of screen to size slightly larger than hole.  Mold screen around inside of hole bowing outward.  USe solder iron heat to press down on screen to "tac weld" it into the plastic a little bit in small areas around perimeter of opening. (screen edges).  This will hold screen perfectly in place.  RTV all the way around.  Let dry.  Use flat head screw driver to help when using soldering iron.  $10.00 and hour - 2 hours.

JD
I used some 5 minute set up epoxy to hold the screens down. Next, I used some RTV high temp copper silcone adheasive all the way around the screen. I used a nice thick bead. Do it overnight. That way it will have overnight time to dry. When you check it in the morning, the silicone should be nice and hard. The screens should never come off.

I used the stuff called "Goop" from the auto parts place. It was in a red tube, dried fast, sticks to anything.

Take your time with the screens... and wear gloves
wink.gif

I also got the gutter screen at Home Depot for like $4. Had enough to do the Katana and the Busa and one more bike.

Back