Fairing removal

mjrfd99

Registered
Time for first oil change by me. How easy/hard is it to remove fairing to do it? Any suggestions for a manual? Clymers or Suzuki. Also got a GIPRO w/TRE. I'm willing to supply food and beer for a tech day in my garage. Lifts and stands and most tools already here. Any takers?

it not to difficult, one screw at a time and dont force anything. Where in S. Jersey are ya?

Fairing removal is pretty easy.  

Remove the front inner fairing by the instrament cluster(two bolts and a push rivet).

Remove the three bolts between the upper and lower fairing, three bolts around the front of the lower fairing,  one bolt between the lower and the belly wing, and the two large head bolts in the lower pannel.

Remove the push rivet inside the front wheel opening connecting the lower inner to the upper inner.

Apply masking tape to the upper fairing around where to upper and lower come together to protect the paint from scratches.

Remove the big rivet from the inner fairing and pull the rear of the inner fairing up out of the grommet.

Manuver the panel off of the bike.  On the right side, the lower inner wants to hang up on the radiator hose, but it will come out.

Pretty easy after a couple times...become s a real PITA after installing frame sliders.

sort of surprised no one has a full zeus kit for this put together yet

Busa came w/sliders - One side its cut into the plastic and the other isn't - Guess previous owner got lazy or the first one was real hard. I'm in Toms River NJ

Busa came w/sliders - One side its cut into the plastic and the other isn't[/Quote]

rock.gif

It's not hard at all, I was surprised. Only had to take the right (brake) side off to change oil & filter.
Looks kind of intimidating at first but I went by my owners manual instructions and everything went smoothly.
But I can see the need for some spare snap/button fasteners cause they look like they could be a commonly broken item

mjrfd99,
If this is a brand new bike and you are the first owner. I would recommend taking it to the stealership for the first oil change. Simply because that maintenance action will be on record and if you have any warranty issues later they can't use the excuse, you didn't bring it in for the 600 mile service.

Don

Just recently did my first oil change so I know exactly what you mean by the owner's manual being absoloutly useless, I especially liked the part that said " unhook the hook" with no diagram of said hook I was like "what fricken hook" finally found it, it ain't a hook, more like a big push pin, anyhow it isn't that difficult, give it a shot. Now what I cant figure out is that the manual says to refill with 3.5 us qts oil and when I did it did not even register in the window, took all of 4 qts. to register inbetween low & full marks. Just out of curiosity I checked the oil level the following day after a 400 mile ride and now it's covering the entire window, above the full line and I don't know if this is bad for the engine or not, only solution I can think of is to remove drain plug just slightly to let a small amount of oil drain out till it drops to the proper level.

Bikes a 03 I got it w/1700 miles Original owner just had service at a good honest shop before i got it so I know the O+F was new at time of sale. I'll give it a shot and see if I can figure it out - Telling that those little black fasteners are pushpins helps. Thanks- The tech day offer is always open. Lots of room

(V-Max 2 Busa @ Sep. 22 2007,13:19) Just recently did my first oil change so I know exactly what you mean by the owner's manual being absoloutly useless, I especially liked the part that said " unhook the hook" with no diagram of said hook I was like "what fricken hook" finally found it, it ain't a hook, more like a big push pin, anyhow it isn't that difficult, give it a shot.  Now what I cant figure out is that the manual says to refill with 3.5 us qts oil and when I did it did not even register in the window, took all of 4 qts. to register inbetween low & full marks.  Just out of curiosity I checked the oil level the following day after a 400 mile ride and now it's covering the entire window, above the full line and I don't know if this is bad for the engine or not, only solution I can think of is to remove drain plug just slightly to let a small amount of oil drain out till it drops to the proper level.
Leave it, it's fine with 4 quarts.

Do not fill to line when on the rear stand. It will be overfull. And everyone else is right, the fairings are very easy to remove, just search for the bolts on the lower fairing facing the ground. They can be a little tricky. You will also want to start all the bolts before you tighten any to be sure they all align. Good Luck.
beerchug.gif
You'll be fine.

Dennis great tip about the tape on the upper. I can see how that would scratch going together.

Back