Fairing Removal Question (Frustrated!!)

jtjohns

Registered
I'm so sick of struggling to take off the fairing because of that one B!tch of a bolt that won't pop out in the top by the gas tank... I'm sure you guys know exactly which one I'm referring to. I freaking broke one off yesterday trying to remove the right side. I'm thinking about just leaving the bolt off and seeing how the fairing holds up without that peice connected. Has anyone attempted this at all or am I being ridiculous?

Thanks.

It will stay but you'll get an annoying vibration sound. All you gotta do is slip a screwdriver under both sides of the plastic center piece and pop it up. Unless you're talking about a different bolt..... pics?

It will stay but you'll get an annoying vibration sound. All you gotta do is slip a screwdriver under both sides of the plastic center piece and pop it up. Unless you're talking about a different bolt..... pics?

So wedge a screwdriver between the plastic and tank, then pop it from there? I've been trying to pull with my hands, but I can feel the fairing being stressed to the point I'm scared it's going to crack.

Post up some pics so we know exactly what you are referring to. More info and detail will always beget more answers to questions :whistle:

Is it a bolt or is it the plastic/rubber grommet that holds the fairing at the top near the tank? It's a PITA to get out every time, but I've never broken it...wait, I have a Gen I; do the Gen IIs have this as well?

Sorry to hear about the problems :(

Is it a bolt or is it the plastic/rubber grommet that holds the fairing at the top near the tank? It's a PITA to get out every time, but I've never broken it...wait, I have a Gen I; do the Gen IIs have this as well?

Sorry to hear about the problems :(

It's the rubber grommet, I'll have pics up in the next hour. I'm also going to upload a pic of the piece I broke, but it looks like it was broken before becasue there's epoxy on it so it was likely weaker than it should be. Maybe something the previous owner did. Hopefully I can get some suggestions on how to get the epoxy off and reapply it.

I spray silicone spray on mine, pops right in and out next time too..

First off...sit back and COUNT TO 10! Yes it's frustrating, and I broke one of mine off too (it will ride fine without it). I tried to epoxy mine back on too, it won't last...

You can watch Blanca's video and instructions which may help a little bit, but I've found the best way to get it off without breaking is to get your hand up UNDER the fairing so you can put your hand in the general area to help PUSH/POP it UP from inside/underneath, rather than pulling on it.

The first time is the worst, as they don't lube it any. Put some dielectric grease or some other grease on it when you reinstall it will be much easier from then on.

Ok, the pics are attached. If epoxy won't work, what should I do to reattach the broken piece? Is there any sort of string super glue that can be used?

20131227_124809.jpg

20131227_124835.jpg

AH ha...somebody already broke it. Recommend you just try riding without it, mine rides fine don't even notice it....I never found anything that would hold it, then I lost the plug later when riding...

I can't imagine any sort of glue will ever truly hold that broken piece together again...without seeing mine intact (been a while) I would think the only real solution is to have that entire grommet replaced if that's even possible, or do what skydivr suggested and just go without it...

I'm in the process of trying to get the left side of now and it's not giving at all. I slide my hand under as far as I can and I can hear the plastic being stressed as if it's going to crack

Again I'm lucky, like with the front sprocket, but I just lift up and pull out. Gen II , right .....

Should just lift out, rotate the front down a little and lift straight up. At least that is what I remember from taking mine off.

Post Script : I don't remove my fairing to change my oil filter. I remove allen screws and push pins and separate the lower fairing, reaching in to get the filter off and back on.

I've never had mine crack; it's a pain to get out, but just be sure to pull it straight up and not to the side...

Back