Fairing and tank storage questions

ottafish

Registered
So, I bought myself a lockdown present to lift the spirits. A new fairing kit and colour change. Which means I need to remove my current oem fairings and put in storage.

Question is for those that have done this, how do you store your good fairings?
Wrap in bubble wrap and put away? Load them up with a wax coating first?
The GF says I'm not allowed to store them under the bed :(

The fairing kit also comes with a tank cover. To protect the paint on my oem tank, I am considering grabbing a used one of ebay as the sacrificial one under the fairing. How do you long term store a tank? Drain it fully, let it dry out and seal it up? Put in some of those moisture bags? Dry it out and store it open?

Any processes or ideas gladly accepted.
Thanks lads

So, I bought myself a lockdown present to lift the spirits. A new fairing kit and colour change. Which means I need to remove my current oem fairings and put in storage.

Question is for those that have done this, how do you store your good fairings?
Wrap in bubble wrap and put away? Load them up with a wax coating first?
The GF says I'm not allowed to store them under the bed :(

The fairing kit also comes with a tank cover. To protect the paint on my oem tank, I am considering grabbing a used one of ebay as the sacrificial one under the fairing. How do you long term store a tank? Drain it fully, let it dry out and seal it up? Put in some of those moisture bags? Dry it out and store it open?

Any processes or ideas gladly accepted.
Thanks lads

I‘ve never stored a tank but drying it out and closing it sounds right. Anti moisture ‘bags’ also seem like a good idea. Cleaning and polishing the plastic pieces and padding them with bubble wrap (and) putting them in a sealed box should also work out. Storage and shipping places, FedEx and UPS for example, sell all sizes of boxes. So, what color change are you going with?

I‘ve never stored a tank but drying it out and closing it sounds right. Anti moisture ‘bags’ also seem like a good idea. Cleaning and polishing the plastic pieces and padding them with bubble wrap (and) putting them in a sealed box should also work out. Storage and shipping places, FedEx and UPS for example, sell all sizes of boxes. So, what color change are you going with?
My theory for the fairings to basically to unbox the new, and do a swapsie with the oem stuff and back into the boxes and store it above the garage. I'm doing a black/orange/grey combo

As for the tank,

Drain it, dry it, take the fuel pump out and store separately as you should oil the inside of the tank and don't want to coat the pump in oil...

Good idea for the packing boxes...one comes out, the other goes in...nice!

I heard dry the tank out and put several tablespoons of oil in it. Roll it in the air so the oil coats all the surfaces.

Never heard about removing the oil pump to do this but may be a good measure to take as suggested by Bumblebee. I imagine the oil you put in will tend to run out of the bottom if you take the pump off though. Also heard a fuel pump needs to be submerged in fuel longterm or the blade dries out and gets brittle. That pump might be a sacrifice if you store a tank many years.

As for fairings, your bubble wrap and in the boxes of the new fairings idea sounds better than anything I can think off. You want to make sure they can't ever tip over on a cement floor. I've had mine blow over in the garage and it's incredible how much damage a few inch fall causes to the paint.

I heard dry the tank out and put several tablespoons of oil in it. Roll it in the air so the oil coats all the surfaces.

Never heard about removing the oil pump to do this but may be a good measure to take as suggested by Bumblebee. I imagine the oil you put in will tend to run out of the bottom if you take the pump off though. Also heard a fuel pump needs to be submerged in fuel longterm or the blade dries out and gets brittle. That pump might be a sacrifice if you store a tank many years.

As for fairings, your bubble wrap and in the boxes of the new fairings idea sounds better than anything I can think off. You want to make sure they can't ever tip over on a cement floor. I've had mine blow over in the garage and it's incredible how much damage a few inch fall causes to the paint.
I used engine storage spray in mine, this way when you do use the tank again, it will simply go into the fuel.

Back