Failed Rear Suspension Links

ccapse

Registered
An insurance company here is auctioning a written off '04 Gen1 with the comment "Rear suspension linkage snapped". I've attached a couple of grainy pics from the auction but this has caused alarm bells to ring. I've searched the fourms but can't see any reference to this happening before. Does anyone know if this is a known problem or had experience with the issue? Obviously when the links broke it caused a crash which I'm keen to avoid and if necessary would replace my standard links with something stronger.

broken link 1.jpg

broken link 2.jpg

Yes, I know of at least one guy that installed after market links that folded on him and according to him launched him off the bike. Never heard of this happening with OEM links.

Thanks for that. I've asked the insurance company if they can confirm if the suspension was modified. A bit hard to tell from the pics but it almost looks like the links may have had two holes at the failed end which would mean they weren't OEM.

Just received a reply from the Insurance Company:

"This bike flipped end for end, the impact damaged the linkage. This is the first I've seen so you will have to talk to a Suzuki dealership in regards to any design faults. Hope this helps your concern."

looks the impact caused the failure. Sorry if I alarmed anyone unnecessarily.

Those are aftermarket 2 hole lowering links. If they were stock links there would be only one hole in it .

ive seen it happen once before on stock but that was because the person liked spending too much time on the rear tire lol

I can see cheap non-stock links breaking.I have a set of pingle links and feel really solid.They should be made of billet aluminum.

$2100 for a bike flipped end over end?

IMO that's way too much money. ???

i was planning to get the 3 hole dogbone style links but after hearing of failure due to stress i got the adjustables instead. i've heard of a few dogbone ones that have collapsed due to lack of metal from one hole to the next. just think, with a heavy rider plus the load placed on them from drag launches etc, its hardly surprising

I wouldn't worry about those generic dogbones but I would be concerned about the frame . If it flipped how did iut land and was teh forks hit hard , ect...

Yes, I know of at least one guy that installed after market links that folded on him and according to him launched him off the bike. Never heard of this happening with OEM links.

I am curious as to "launch". My lowering links snapped and the rear of the bike the suspension dropped on the tire. Really exciting to say to the least :laugh:

Someone here did post saying the rear of his bike suddenly popped up nearly pitching him over the bars when his links broke but on closer inspection he posted that the failure of the links was because of the rear shock. Something in the rear shock failed that caused the shock to open up violently and snapping the links in the process and throwing the rear of the bike into the air. As far as I know if your links fail the suspension is supposed to drop to the floor landing on the rear tire. Either way not a fun day on the scoot..

Back