Factory fairing decal instal

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
Got a factory fairing decal from suzuki and need to know what the is the best way to put it on the bike.

Can I use soap and water on the fairing and while wet than put on decal, and be able to slide it into place?

Or do I just need to eyeball it and stick it on dry and hope I line it up straight? Never placed a Factory fairing decal on a bike before.

Im gonna be getting some other decals from a guy off ebay & he says I can use soap and water but Im just not sure about the Factory decals.

Im thinkin thats right on the soap and water....  I know you dont want to do it dry unless you are VERY steady.... once its stuck, its STUCK...  Good Luck!

Oh yeah, Johnsons baby shampoo and water mix would probably do it.

<!--EDIT|Skidz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139958115 -->

Can anyone give me a definate answer on this? WOuld like to do this tonight if possible.

3 or so drops of soap, mixed with water.
Add a little bit of rubbing alcohol to help drying.

Used this formula a lot with dad when he had a vinyl decal shop.

That is what I do (soap and water). I am wondering why I still get the pointy edges peeling back a tiny bit every time I wash. I have to round them off and then they don't peel. Is that normal.

Spray area for decal with soap, water, alcohol mix. Place your decal in the desired location. Be sure to squeegee your decal good after applying. Use the liguid formula with alcohol and spray the transfer tape. This helps release some of the stickyness from the tape.
Should help reduce rolled up sharp edges.
Let dry thoroughly; transfer tape should peel off smoothly while leaving the decal.

You may have noticed this but the paper backing will help you line it up and get it in the right place.The top piece goes on first the paper will line up perfect with top edge of the fairing. I used soapy water and a squeege that you use on widow tint to chase all the bubbles out. If you get a bubble that you just cant get worked out you can very carfully poke it with a very sharp fine needle to get it out. Take your time. I dont think you can put too much soapy water on it.Clean the area that it goes on with some alcohol to remove any wax in that area.Remove the paper from the first one and then thepaper lines up with the bottom edge of the top decal.

thanks everyone...very much appreciated...will let you know how it goes.
cool.gif

3 or so drops of soap, mixed with water.
Add a little bit of rubbing alcohol to help drying.

Used this formula a lot with dad when he had a vinyl decal shop.
+ 1
Johnson baby shampoo & alcohol is what I've been using in my body shop.
I've been using that combo for 5 yr.

AND masking tape under too level

Great info, two or three drops of Johnson's baby shampoo, I would imagine dishwashing liquid also works, and how much alcohol in the water solution?. I know this is an old post, but I have to put the decals back on the nose in a day or two. freshly painted nose and brand new decals just want to get everything correct.

Thanks for the read, Spud.

I'd consider scoring the backing in the center and removing a strip. Stick that and peel the backing a little at a time while you rub the decal down.

Actually, I'd probably paint it or have a pro do it. if you can find anyone who hand paints lettering anymore.

Thanks for the ideas, I had thought of having them painted on, but it's been a while since I rashed up some plastics. Got the repaint, got the decals, good to go on this end, but it's always good to read through the old posts. It's been so long since I put a set of decals on the side of the fairing. Couldn't remember the formula. Motors are one thing, decals and plastics, well.......

Great info, two or three drops of Johnson's baby shampoo, I would imagine dishwashing liquid also works, and how much alcohol in the water solution?. I know this is an old post, but I have to put the decals back on the nose in a day or two. freshly painted nose and brand new decals just want to get everything correct.

Thanks for the read, Spud.
I will be reinstalling the kanji decals on my right side fairing this weekend. I will be using the wet method and GILA window film application solution that i have. Also got a rubber squeegee and a felt squeegee from amazon. But I did hear it works with soap and water.

Yes it's all coming back to me now. We're reaching back about 14 years. I did the whole right side including the cowl right side stickers at that point in time. Getting it off was a mother but putting it on really went pretty smooth.

Thanks for the video. Soon as I get all these bathroom chores done, I'll be getting on the 05', and then on to the 22' break-in.

:thumbsup:

Yes it's all coming back to me now. We're reaching back about 14 years. I did the whole right side including the cowl right side stickers at that point in time. Getting it off was a mother but putting it on really went pretty smooth.

Thanks for the video. Soon as I get all these bathroom chores done, I'll be getting on the 05', and then on to the 22' break-in.

:thumbsup:
Just did mine today. I started by prepping the surface and used alcohol to clean it. It’s a new fairing so not much dirt on it.

i removed the backing paper and sprayed the decal with the tint solution and sprayed the fairing as well.

using the squeegee, I started from the center and worked my way out. On the sides where the fairing has a curve to it, I used a heat gun on the decal to smooth it out. This was the most time consuming part. After that I went over the decal with the squeegee a few times to get the air bubbles out.

7ABDBFEA-12B4-4743-8562-5C9168C01618.jpeg

69BF126E-133D-4D87-BD0F-8FF2A6549B15.jpeg

Back