Face Book Profiles

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Its funny to me how some folks get so cranked up about their privacy ...

ie: wont show their ID when requested to do so, or wont submit to an airport screening ... and yet many of those same folks will put all kinds of stuff on social media sites ... just begging thieves to take advantage of them. ???

Here is some suggestions I found in the news this a.m. :

fin.gif: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Tips to Stay Safe

Here's some advice from Sileo, who wrote the "Facebook Safety Survival Guide," about protecting online privacy on all social-networking sites:

• Never post your exact date and place of birth. It's invaluable information to identity thieves, particularly when the two are bundled together.

• Never post your address, phone number or email address. This is plum information to scammers and marketers who are looking for nuggets of your identity.

• Control who can see your personal information. Many social-networking sites have privacy features, but they change often. Know what they are, stay on top of them and restrict your page to your real friends, not friends of friends or someone you met in a bar.

• Limit information about your activities. If you must brag about a trip or a fabulous party, do it after the fact.

• Remember that what you post is public and permanent. Don't put up embarrassing photos that you wouldn't show your grandmother. Don't complain about your job or your boss. Don't say something to or about someone that you wouldn't say to his face. Don't threaten others.

• Know the four types of Facebook users: friends, outsiders, businesses and enemies.

• You should know exactly who wants to be your friend or is asking you to link into their network. Some people will befriend your friends to get to you or your company.

• Be wary of seemingly harmless quizzes. When someone invites you to take a survey, say, "10 Things Others Don't Know About You" or "My Favorite Things," it may be designed to harvest your data. The name of the street you grew up on or your favorite vacation spot could be clues to your passwords.

• Before you share any information anywhere online about yourself or your workplace, ask this question: What would the consequences be if this information fell into the hands of my boss, competitor or people who don't like me?

You know exactly what I am going (or not going) to say about facebook. :poke:

The majority of people however enjoy placing their personal information out there for the world to see. No arguments there and it's their choice, but I have placed good arguments to friends and family about being more private about what they put out there...two weeks later my opinion was proved down to the finest of details. They now understand what I was attempting to say.

I wouldn't go as far as to tell someone not too, it's too much fun for some...as long as you think about what you post and how others are going to see this information...including personal and contact information.

its pretty amazing what folks will post on social sites. They want their privacy but yet post stupid things and allow it to be visible to everyone.

There was recently a news report about how thieves were targeting FB and MySpace and other social sites. They were simply pointing google at the sites and searching for vacation, away, not home and the locations. They found when people werent home and just leisurely walked in and took what they wanted, knowing they wouldnt be interrupted!

The reality is that if you have a connected device and you enter anything personally identifiable into it, your information is at risk. You just have to try and manage that risk with software, your own behaviors and of course being smart about what information you provide and where.

I think what most ppl don't understand is that FB is not a social site first. It's first mission is to harvest data so it can sell that data to it's advertisers. How else do you think they got valued so high.

When someone clicks the "I like it" button on a company or product FB sends so much information about that person to the advertiser it's not even funny. At a minimum they get your gender, your age, your location, whether you are single/engaged/married, approximate income level and quite a bit more.

FB also auctions ad space to advertisers based on these same criteria. If they know you're an engaged woman, 25 - 30yo, with good income, you're going to see some ads for premium wedding dresses and catering in your area.

And this my friends, is why I don't have a FB account. Business disguising itself as your friend.

It's first mission is to harvest data so it can sell that data to it's advertisers.

When someone clicks the "I like it" button on a company or product FB sends so much information about that person to the advertiser it's not even funny. At a minimum they get your gender, your age, your location, whether you are single/engaged/married, approximate income level and quite a bit more.

Thank you~!!!~

Once this information was brought to light some attempts have been made to calm their generous attitude a bit, we'll see how that actually goes...

This just happened to be post on ISP front page today, and of course also mentioned FB

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/random-thoughts/144263-just-another-ss-vulnerability.html

Thats why I do not do Face book or My Space or anything like that..Just this and 1 other org.

Friend of mines Son is Facing 30 Years for Extortion and other crimes relating to Facebook. It's No Joke :rulez:.............

one thing i may have skipped but didnt read in there is people posting bragging about what they own. guns, cars, parts, expensive househole items, jewelry etc etc. i just dont feel easy about it.

at one time not to long ago either, with the plethora of info out on the net, youre still so much more likely to have your card info stolen in real life. someone breaks in your car they have license, cards, maybe some mail. alot of people dont even shred receipts, businesses even. i use cash everywhere i can and really limit my financial info out there. their fight to have my identity may not even be worth it though... lol

Last edited:
i post all false info on most sites only friends get the real info...and only then in person

Thats why I do not do Face book or My Space or anything like that..Just this and 1 other org.

Exactly, I personally do not get it nor do I feel the need to create some self importance for the world to see.
It may be me but I value my privacy. Have it violated once and your whole way of life changes or at least it did for me.
Too many out there with cruel & malicious intent.

Here's my tirrade (seems to be the hip word) !

I dont give a s**t what someone else had for breakfast or what colour undies they are wearing today, or what sort of a boring life they have, I dont want to read about someone elses boring life, I have my own :whistle: Tirrade over ... continue !

Last edited:
I have a FB account. I keep up with my family on there, brothers, sisters, my Parents, nieces and nephews. I don't get to see them very often and this is one way I can socialize with them without being on the phone all the time.

Like someone else said, I give false info on certain things. yeah, I'm sure someone could figure it out but it might slow em down.

Back