F=MA Header Part II..My version

2hip

Registered
Man, I can't thank you guys, especially F=MA, trials and tribulations with the header...I was really concerned about getting the pipe off with what he went through, the amount of elbow room to work with between the header and the fans and oil/water radiators. In fact, I was freaking after what I saw happened to his header bolts..I had already made up my mind this was not going to be easy..buy some extractor tools and ball headed hex-metrics tomorrow after work. I live at least an hour from the nearest rescue tool store... I thought about the advice all of you had all day long about heating the headers, different tool setups...read the manual a half dozen times and after din-din went at it...I am going to post up a bunch of pictures of my "tilting with the windmills" (Cervantes.."Don Quixote")...because like F=MA it can be just a walk on the wild side with a wrench in my hand...
First, the manual states to remove horn and then undo the bolt from the radiator, then to take out the bolts from where the radiator mounts to the frame. They do not say anything about there being two brackets...which are plainly seen. They do not tell you that the bottom bracket needs to be removed from the oil pan in order for the top header cross pipe to clear...all minor things...
Bottom line..due to pure luck, good advice, manuals, and F=MA's write up it was done within 40 minutes..in fact I am dumbfounded at how easy it went. F=MA thanks for everything...one question for you...did you undue the oil/h20 radiator stuff to make room to get your tools in there? I am thinking with how corroded your bolts looked that yours were in there really tight due to rust...Mine came out very nicely but I don't have corrosives on the roads..and only ride when it is dry...

bike paint under skins 01-09-10 022.jpg

bike paint under skins 01-09-10 023.jpg

bike paint under skins 01-09-10 024.jpg

bike paint under skins 01-09-10 026.jpg

bike paint under skins 01-09-10 027.jpg

Glad to hear it went smoothly for you.

I ultimately removed the radiator completely...haven't gotten any further...and won't for over a week now.

Glad it went smooth for you, I am sure those pipes will have a good home. Nice Headers. :laugh: :cheerleader:

F=MA have a good trip in Arizona and I laughed like hell about making diagrams of the garage pieces and it being somewhat like an archelogical dig...keep up your humor...we don't have much else in this life that matters..I have little sandwich baggies with felt tip pen labeling...pictures with the camera and some written diagrams...Even with all of that I am sure that all of the king's horses and all of the king's men won't get her back together again....:whistle:2hip

Back