F-22 Raptor. $339 Million dollar Can of US Woopass!

GNBRETT

Registered
I pity anyone having to go up against one of these in a dog fight or one thats within a 100 miles away:laugh:. watch what is does at 5:05. that thing is deadly. its like butter is the sky. smooth and effortless. I also like how its against the law to be sold abroad. :thumbsup:

was kinda pissed when funding was cut a while back but I think the military still has like a 185 of these or something. I hope whoever gets elected decides to look into the program again.

yea they were expensive but 300-350 F-22 fighters would give us air superiority. I just dont get the whole joint fighter push. if u control the skies u control the world or at least ur own country without question. what is the latest on the F-35? any military people here have any insight on that program? what does it do that the F-22 doesnt?

didnt an F-22 crash in Alaska last year or the year before? The pilot died I think but I dont think it was the faulty oxygen system. and whatever happend to the faulty oxygen system? did they find out what the actual problem was?

has the F-35 even been cleared for deployment yet?

$77.4 billion on the F-22 fleet.....:laugh: that's a lotta $$$$$$ on whoopass.:thumbsup:

LiveLeak.com - F-22 HEAR THE ROAR OF THE RAPTOR!

Very cool! Reminds me I gotta take the boy to the local air show this fall at Mather AFB. :thumbsup:

Always good fun to see them in person!

DSC02201.jpg

DSC02141.jpg

DSC02201.jpg

DSC02141.jpg

it looked organic in flight. like a fish in water. beautiful aircraft.

I used to fly one of these everyday...literally one of the best video games I ever had! :laugh:

Back when the dealership I was in had Nissan their training center is a couple of miles away from NAS Atlanta and Lockeed. During lunch I would go and sit in the parking lot across the highway and watch the touch and go carrier landing training, patrols coming and going, etc. One day I got there and saw a big jet being tailed by the red and white chase plane way off over Atlanta. They came around, the lead jet leveled out and visibly slowed down. It was a Raptor, still in R&D and not even in it's radar absorbing paint doing low speed thrust vectoring testing. Just as in the video it was moving solid as a rock and almost looked like it was hovering. The chase plane was doing these huge swooping maneuvers just to keep it's airspeed up enough to stay in the air behind it. As it went by you could clearly see the thrust vectoring just going nuts while it looked like you could balance nickels on the dash of the jet. Just an incredible display. They went down the runway at about 300 feet and then would just power up, pull away and do it again.

I was late getting back from lunch. The instructor accepted my reason for being late then excused himself and disappeared for half an hour, I wonder where he went?:laugh:

i did the mechanical systems for the hush house, radar cross section and paintbooth facilities at Lockheed in Marietta GA.

The Russians would say this plane and it's capabilities are nothing new.
'Thrust Vectoring' they invented. F22 is a copy of their technology.

I worked at Pratt & Whitney from 1985 until 2000 when I got laid off.

Back in 1980 we where working on the 'Thrust Vectoring'.

It was first put in an f15 to see how it would work.

Here are some pictures, that a got while working there.

I could probable get in to trouble sharing them.

I have more, but I dare not show them.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

We also worked on the (short take-off and vertical landing) (STOVL)

There are 3 version of the f35.

One for the ,Air Force, Navy, and Marine.

Also Boeing and Lockheed where both making the (STOVL), but Lockheed Martin won the contest.
That will go the Marines.
The other 2 will not have the (STOVL).

The are still testing it, I don't know when it will o tn to production.
7.jpg
Gurrera

7.jpg

They used to fly those at Langley here in SouthEast VA. Awesome planes. Unlikely they would ever need that aerodynamic capability though because it is just about impossible for an enemy to get close enough to fire on it! THey said at the air show that the planes computers actually reduce the aerodynamic capability of the plane because it would literally tear the pilot apart with the G-forces!

Bottom line is this is probably the last new manned fighter. Even some pretty old planes like the F-15 and F-16 can out fly the human body. And the Raptor cost so much that it is to big a risk to actually use it in a real operation. I was told that 3 F-22's could have taken on the total Luftwaffe and Japanese airforces and probably defeated them without losses unless there was a mechanical failure on one of the Raptors! Also, 1 F-22 could have done the damage of 100 B-17 flying fortresses in a bombing raid. Anyway that's why the F-35 it's all about money.

A MIG 29 did do a tailslide at the Paris airshow several years ago though. Everyone was shocked to watch a jet fall backwards and not stall the engine. The Russians are not as backwards as many think. There aerospace minds are top notch. We're luck they are commies, that's the biggest thing holding them back!

This is the MIG 29 doing the tailslide:

- Farnborough / Paris Airshow 1988 / 89 - YouTube[/url]

This plane is by no means a Raptor but it was designed in the 70's and the Raptor is the only American jet I know of that can keep it's engines running while falling backwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back