F 150 heater core

memorex

Registered
I started replacing the heater core in my truck yesturday. What a pain in the butt. I started at 11 am and by the time it got dark I was just getting to the core. So I am half way done. Next time I am letting somebody else do it. I should be done about 2pm today if everything goes well.

I think the heater core is the WORST thing to replace in a vehicle... no matter the type.. id rather swap the engine or tranny than mess with the heater core.. good luck!

I had to do that when i was 16 in my Thunderbird....steering wheel, dash, everything had to come out, it was terrible!

you ought to try doing some A/C evaporators... (Chrysler had some real problems with them in the 80's going bad and they sucked)

Ford had some great heater cores to do.. just pull a few screws, pull the plate with the core and you are done in under an hour.. They turned right around and also had some of the worst ones where you had to literally pull the dash and suspend it to get the heater box out.. Never understood that one..

I never had much issue with their trucks however.. what was the problem?

The steering wheel had to be dropped and dash removed. Then a couple of air ducts taken out or moved out of the way. It also has a passenger side air bag. So that comes out too. I hope I get that back in right.

I think the heater core is the WORST thing to replace in a vehicle... no matter the type.. id rather swap the engine or tranny than mess with the heater core.. good luck!

I was thinking the same thing yesturday as I was pulling everything out.

I feel your pain -- Ford Mustang W/AC - Old and high mileage -- Started taking the dash apart after about two hours with dozen of plastic baggies with fastners and stickies with remember directions on the ground. Well, I realized I was still hours from getting the dash board out. I had to make a decision -- waste another 8 or so hours or put it back together. Well, I took a deep breath and went in the house and told my wife it's time to buy another car. She was thrilled...

Returned the heater core in my new Pearl White Mazda Millenia.

I Love em. Pays good and I hardly get my hands dirty. It sucks when you're doin it on your own vehicle but if they made things easy, people could fix everything themselves . Heater cores in Fords are easy. Try changing you some spark plugs in a 5.4 Three valve ford engine. No Wait, Don't try this. They Will break off in the head. Definately not a job for a do it yourselfer.

Hell, it sucks changing plugs and wires in my 4.6. Last weekend I finally figured out the mis fire my truck was having. I couldn't beleive it when I took the valve cover off and seen the rocker arm not were it was supposed to be on the number one cylinder. A new rocker and hydrualic valve and she runs like she should.

Back