Extreme Tire Change

Rev, elsewhere in my text I stated "2ct's". BTW, I've heard both and the Michelin tech guy said the 2ct's definately have a different carcass than the standard PP.    Doyle
So what's the Verdic DOYLE ? How did the Ride Go ?  Ya Like the New RUBBER  
rock.gif
well, there were two things I was looking for today 1)how do they stick...answer=like on a rail 2)after 300 miles of twisties and high speed interstate use (very trying and rough I/S 80 over Sierras @ 80mph avg)how did the wear look?
After I pulled in the garage, I was very pleased at the observed wear...will they last another 1000-2000 miles, including a track day? I hope so but have no idea!
If I do an overnight out of state ride, I'll for sure put the PP's back on for that (gettin pretty good at swapping at this point!) Doyle

ps Rob and Gene, thanks for a fun ride today!

Let us know what you think of the 55 profile.
Thanks!

cheers
ken
Ken, I was going with the PR 190/50 but my tire guy (very fast racer) suggested I install the 180/55, saying it would make the Busa feel lighter than it is (increasing flickability), so far I'm quite pleased, I believe the 180/55 is very compatible with the lighter Carro wheels (like you have too), deeper opinions coming AFTER next track day, of course.

Doyle

The Power Race rear uses a very low pressure. The Michelin rep I spoke to said between 22-24 cold in the rear. I run 23 rear and 30 front in mine.....
That's what they told me too Vman, he also suggested I run 30-30 on the street which I did today and it felt really planted. Track use, I think 30-24? Doyle
that sounds like a great place to start. I tried 30/30 in 60 degree temps and I wasnt getting the rear warm enuff, it was sliding ALL over the place. I dropped the pressure and all was better.....

I used to run the PRC's. I was at 31 F and 21 Rears. Power races work best @ the track with tire warmers.

I used to run the PRC's. I was at 31 F and 21 Rears. Power races work best @ the track with tire warmers.
While installing the PRC's they were laid on their side in the sun (outside the door of the dyno trailer) for about 5 minutes. It was 80 degrees out, when I reached down to pick one up, it almost burnt my hand! I can't imagine needing warmers @ Reno Fernley if the bike is sitting in the sun between sessions...what do I not get about that? (or is R/F hot enough to cancel the need). Doyle

You can run 'em w/o warmers. Just takes 3 to 5 laps to get up to temp; 180 degrees F. I obviously use them to prevent heat cycling to prolong DOT race tire life. But I love being able to go 100% right from the get go with warmers. Also, you get full "heat soak" of 180 degree temp on the entire carcass.

You can run 'em w/o warmers. Just takes 3 to 5 laps to get up to temp; 180 degrees F. I obviously use them to prevent heat cycling to prolong DOT race tire life. But I love being able to go 100% right from the get go with warmers. Also, you get full "heat soak" of 180 degree temp on the entire carcass.
There's just no way I can argue my way out of another $250 necessity, is there!
Doyle

There's just no way I can argue my way out of another $250 necessity, is there!
Doyle
Just to Pick Your Brain but Why did'nt you try the Qualifiers Doyle ? Everyone Including Rob, Gene seem to Swear by them......
dunno.gif

Because I'm an independant soul, a self thinker, take my own path, a lone wolf.....I dunno, the name just sounded cool..Pilot Race!

(actually I'll probably go to Quals or the new Bridgestones when these fry away but meanwhile I wanted to experience tires that are just one click from slicks) Doyle

and they do feel gummy and soft when we stopped   honestly just touching them and feeling how sticky they were made me think at the time that if these were on my bike, i would feel better about grip just looking at em   instant confidence builder    i could tell from being behind you the profile just looked like there was more contact patch on the lean than the other tires    plus all the rocks flyin' off told me something to
cool.gif

Now this is the kind of weather you want for scrubbin in a new set of tires.  Gotta love havin the Sierra's right in your own back yard.
tounge.gif

0120.jpg

Because I'm an independant soul, a self thinker, take my own path, a lone wolf.....I dunno, the name just sounded cool..Pilot Race!

(actually I'll probably go to Quals or the new Bridgestones when these fry away but meanwhile I wanted to experience tires that are just one click from slicks)               Doyle
You are Definently the COOLEST Guy I know DOYLE. "I Think I Want to Have Your Baby"
laugh.gif

I don't know what PSIs you were running in the PP2cts, but if its too low that can contribute to overheating the tire.  Running high PSI will keep the tire cooler because it has less grip and carcass deformation.  Different brand street tires won't help, they're all street tires made to warmup fast but they can't handle too much heat.  

I also am running DOT race tires this summer.  I got street tires too greasy and only a race tire can handle high heat. I'd rather spend the money on a tire that won't slip than on a broken motorcycle from slippy tires.

I'm considering doing the tire warmer thing.  I tried out Ryan's at Big Willow in the 96 degree heat and it wasn't that big of a deal to put them on and take them off every session.  The best reason for them is heat cycling, but since you're riding them on the street, you're already heat cycling your race tires.  While a heat cycled race tire is not as good as it was, it'll still be better than a street tire at the track.

I'm not a big fan of running DOT race tires on the street for that very reason.

If you fella's are riding hard enough on the twisties to heat up a set of race tires hot enough to out perform a high performance street tire you are some hard ridin dudes. Street tires will outperform race tires until the tire reaches at least 150 degrees. I bet if you guys checked your tire temps, you would find you rarely get a race tire hot enough on the streets to compete with a high performance street tire?

Many times I find when one is spinning up the rear it has more to do with suspension than tires.

Thanks for all the expertise and discussion you guys, it really is educational for me. Tufbusa, I don't know what to say re: riding hard on the street except the following.....Rob (ozz) and me do ride incredibly hard on our favorite, uninhabited, obscure mountain roads. Probably 90% for miles and miles. 90 degree + temps, me 250lbs (with leathers), 500 lb Busa. As we all know, it's different from the track in terms of cornering speeds, lean angles, etc. and no, I've never had a hipo street tire step out on me on the street. I must say, however, yesterday (with Pilot Races) when we stopped for a break my brand new track tires looked like they had just finished a track day right to the edge of the contact surface. After loosing my rear tire last week on the track (big saved step out)....and this is key for me....I just don't know how much distance exists between my 2ct's going away at the track and the possibility of a step out in the canyons. I do know, however, that running Pilot Races on my canyon rides is a QUANTUM LEAP  in adhesion and safety for me because it's unlikely I'll slow down on those favorite roads!  For longer rides, the 2ct's are fine including "spirited riding" foreys when a long way from home.        Doyle

I don't know what PSIs you were running in the PP2cts, but if its too low that can contribute to overheating the tire.  Running high PSI will keep the tire cooler because it has less grip and carcass deformation.  Different brand street tires won't help, they're all street tires made to warmup fast but they can't handle too much heat.  

I also am running DOT race tires this summer.  I got street tires too greasy and only a race tire can handle high heat.  I'd rather spend the money on a tire that won't slip than on a broken motorcycle from slippy tires.

I'm considering doing the tire warmer thing.  I tried out Ryan's at Big Willow in the 96 degree heat and it wasn't that big of a deal to put them on and take them off every session.  The best reason for them is heat cycling, but since you're riding them on the street, you're already heat cycling your race tires.  While a heat cycled race tire is not as good as it was, it'll still be better than a street tire at the track.
Your last sentence is a very important point for me.

Back