Extreme Tire Change

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
Besides all the fun, our track day two weeks ago left me quite disappointed with my PP 2ct's on a hot track at 95%. Although I take some responsibility for too much throttle exiting apexes, the PP's got quite greasy and stepped out on me at least a couple of times. Don't get me wrong, they are fine street tires BUT, yesterday I went off the deep end and installed Michelin Pilot Race, medium compound tires on my Busa!

No need for the low mileage warnings, I realize that, I just feel the need to have eliminated ALL excuses for less than optimal handling.

Tomorrow, I'll take the bike into the Sierra twisties, rub em in, then see what they feel like! Got a track day coming up so I figure a couple "sport rides" in the mountains then Reno Fernley here I come.

first pic is the street PP

P1010602.JPG

this one is the Pilot Race, ready for the mountains, look where the tread begins! BTW, I went from 190/50 to 180/55 in rear.

P1010603.JPG

I even (for the first time) adjusted the Sato rearsets...all the way back and all the way up! I'll post the results tomorrow evening. Doyle

P1010604.JPG

Hey young man, what would you estimate the rwhp and total weight with rider is of your bike, just curious. Bill

Hey young man, what would you estimate the rwhp and total weight with rider is of your bike, just curious.  Bill
Per Superbike Performance Lab...174 hp, I weigh 229 +gear(30 lbs)+Busa with one gallon of gas = 495 for grand total of.....754 pounds! Why are you making me do all this math @ 11:30 in the evening? Hey, are you going to get another Busa or a Bandit?
Doyle

Hey young man, what would you estimate the rwhp and total weight with rider is of your bike, just curious.  Bill
Per Superbike Performance Lab...174 hp, I weigh 229 +gear(30 lbs)+Busa with one gallon of gas = 495    for grand total of.....754 pounds! Why are you making me do all this math @ 11:30 in the evening?     Hey, are you going to get another Busa or a Bandit?
Doyle
You like math Teach,just trying to get an idea of the demands your putting on that rear tire. Oh and sitting around I've been looking at all kinds of bikes so of course now I've got all kinds of ideas? running around in my head. Still need a clutch hand and some kind of wrist movement before anything happens, I did get the pins pulled on Tuesday
cheerleader.gif

xray_lable_misc_004.jpg

Let us know what you think of the 55 profile.
Thanks!

cheers
ken

they look tough....

2 questions

1..what kind of rim is that? I like it
2.. do you switch out your chain,i notice you have an extended swingarm but are up as far as you can get?

Besides all the fun, our track day two weeks ago left me quite disappointed with my PP 2ct's on a hot track at 95%. Although I take some responsibility for too much throttle exiting apexes, the PP's got quite greasy and stepped out on me at least a couple of times. Don't get me wrong, they are fine street tires BUT, yesterday I went off the deep end and installed Michelin Pilot Race, medium compound tires on my Busa!

No need for the low mileage warnings, I realize that, I just feel the need to have eliminated ALL excuses for less than optimal handling.

Tomorrow, I'll take the bike into the Sierra twisties, rub em in, then see what they feel like!  Got a track day coming up so I figure a couple "sport rides" in the mountains then Reno Fernley here I come.

first pic is the street PP
you say this pic is the "street pilot power", do you mean regular or 2ct
rock.gif

The Power Race rear uses a very low pressure. The Michelin rep I spoke to said between 22-24 cold in the rear. I run 23 rear and 30 front in mine.....

The lower the pressure, the higher the heat of the carcass. Race tires are designed to tollerate heat better than most street tires. All tires will fail if they exceed 308f. That's roughly where they are heated to for bonding the tread to the carcass. At 25 lbs you will be looking at ~270f when the tire reaches optimal pressure.

they look tough....

2 questions

1..what kind of rim is that? I like it
2.. do you switch out your chain,i notice you have an extended swingarm but are up as far as you can get?
The rims are Carrozerria USA, I love em....yes the swingarm is 0-6" for canyon use, track days, LSR fun, sport touring and drag racing...all in the same bike! I can't think of a better bike to wear all those hats, either. I have an extra length of chain (2 rivited master links)and another torque arm for extension mode.

Rev, elsewhere in my text I stated "2ct's". BTW, I've heard both and the Michelin tech guy said the 2ct's definately have a different carcass than the standard PP. Doyle

The Power Race rear uses a very low pressure. The Michelin rep I spoke to said between 22-24 cold in the rear. I run 23 rear and 30 front in mine.....
That's what they told me too Vman, he also suggested I run 30-30 on the street which I did today and it felt really planted. Track use, I think 30-24? Doyle

this is the MPR when we stopped at Foresthill maybe 100 miles on em Doyle?

robbs_place_1__2_.jpg

Back