External Antenna w/ Autocom?

BenWoj42

Registered
Love the new autocom system, but one of the drawbacks I’ve encountered is the distance/range of communication. I purchased the adjustable antenna that can rotate up 90 degrees, but it seems I’m still not getting a good amount of distance between me and the other rider (50 yards). Has anyone tried an external antenna to fix this problem, or has anyone figured out a difference way to extend the range?

I ran across this and it has peaked my interest.

vtec.jpg

The antenna would be for the radio, not the autocom. What kind of radio are you using?

Sorry about that twotone, I ment to say the radio. I purchased the Icom radio's from tom at Red Dog Radios.

If you have the Kenwood the power is turned down with the programming because you are only allowed so much power without a license. I think that's the real limit. I don't know about your radio specifically but I'm sure it's similar. There are some people who know how to turn the power up and still get the walkie talkie bands but that's illegal I was told.

If you want more distance you need either a CB or a licensed radio. I actually cut a hole in the hump for my antenna. Totally unnecessary but a source of endless conversation......

Radio.jpg

BenWoj42 said:
Sorry about that twotone, I ment to say the radio. I purchased the Icom radio's from tom at Red Dog Radios.

No problem, just make sure you are running on grms frequency and you antenna is as verticle as possible. Shawn had his radio in his trunk and no antenna at all and could hear him just fine. That is a good radio you have. May i suggest you call our local autocom dealer Keith? Let me find hus number.

Here we go. 918-630-4665, he should ne able to point you in the right direction.

Sent from my DROIDX using Forum Runner

If you have the Kenwood the power is turned down with the programming because you are only allowed so much power without a license. I think that's the real limit. I don't know about your radio specifically but I'm sure it's similar. There are some people who know how to turn the power up and still get the walkie talkie bands but that's illegal I was told.

If you want more distance you need either a CB or a licensed radio. I actually cut a hole in the hump for my antenna. Totally unnecessary but a source of endless conversation......

I had a chatterbox before the autocom and it seems like we got a lot more distance out of the chatterbox(about a mile) even though they were a piece of crap. I assumed that we may have been able to get about the same with the autocom system which is why I wanted to see what everyone else was getting.

No problem, just make sure you are running on grms frequency and you antenna is as verticle as possible. Shawn had his radio in his trunk and no antenna at all and could hear him just fine. That is a good radio you have. May i suggest you call our local autocom dealer Keith? Let me find hus number.

Here we go. 918-630-4665, he should ne able to point you in the right direction.

Sent from my DROIDX using Forum Runner

I'll give him a call this weekend. Thanks for the #.

I have my Icom in the trunk and I get perfect clarity... You have something up with your radio.. The ICOM radios are typically programmed with a few FRS and a few GMRS channels with some codes.... Make sure your radio is programmed right...

I have my Icom in the trunk and I get perfect clarity... You have something up with your radio.. The ICOM radios are typically programmed with a few FRS and a few GMRS channels with some codes.... Make sure your radio is programmed right...

I get great clarity with my radio, but it seems like we have to be pretty close for them to reach each other. My concern is not getting enough communication distance between us. My buddy and I were riding the other day when all of a sudden his go-pro fell off his bike. I didn't notice that he stopped till a block after and when I tried to radio back to him, he didn't hear me. I'm interested to know if our communication distance is limited to what we have, or is someone else getting a good half mile or more?

I get great clarity with my radio, but it seems like we have to be pretty close for them to reach each other. My concern is not getting enough communication distance between us. My buddy and I were riding the other day when all of a sudden his go-pro fell off his bike. I didn't notice that he stopped till a block after and when I tried to radio back to him, he didn't hear me. I'm interested to know if our communication distance is limited to what we have, or is someone else getting a good half mile or more?

I get more than a mile with my ICOM radio all the time..

Has anyone used the scala communication setup?.I understand they are coming out with the g9 unit which allows 9 total riders to communicate up to a mile.

Back