Extending Unemployment Benefits keeps people from going back to work

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
I talked to a customer yesterday. She shared with me that they had hired a young man to start work on Monday 1/2. When he didn't show up, the called and asked him why, and his answer was "BECAUSE MY UNEMPLOYMENT GOT EXTENDED ANOTHER YEAR" :banghead:

Sadly, this is one of the unexpected consequences of continuing to extend unemployment benefits. Now, I don't mind helping people get back on their feet, but people taking advantage has got to stop. I would have proposed that people who have been on it for 3-4 years, that eventually those bennies have to taper off - and it would be a statistical exercise to find the 'equilibirum point" where all of a sudden these people start getting jobs...

You should have told her to call the unemployment office and give his name to the case person doing his benefits... they would have shut him off immediately. you can't turn down work even part time..

related post I saw yesterday:

"When a collectivist form of government rules a society some individuals develop a lack of initiative. A stifling of creativity will also result. People don’t have to work harder than anyone else as all rewards earned, are shared. Undeniably the incentive is to work less. Productivity is spread equally for all participants regardless of effort. Under collectivism a ruling class of bureaucratic intellectuals structure communities. They decide what a citizen is entitled to possess according to some obscure socioeconomic philosophy. They decide what is best for an individual and what privileges the individual is entitled to. This is a top down ‘for the greater good’ ambiguous justification. They then apply the oppressive powers of the State to reallocate wealth from those who produce to those who don’t. Simply put the collective steals the talent, ingenuity, and hard work of one citizen and gives it to another in the name of social justice. This is morally repulsive, it is theft. Collectivism warps the self-sacrifice of an individual and encourages the notion that it is necessarily a noble act to sacrifice for the greater good of all, regardless of an individual’s desire to achieve. According to the collectivist point of view something created by the individual belongs to the State as the State allows the individual the mechanism of a secure economy with which to create the product, goods, or services. This is obviously false as exchange of goods and services will continue without the benefit of the State. Put in basic terms, people have to eat. Many will profit in the quest for survival through the necessary labor required for their continued existence. The desire to possess another’s wealth as well as to assure that another’s wealth is not greater than one’s own is morally corrupt. This is class warfare. It’s not fair, there is no justification. Collectivism is a philosophy designed to stifle human ingenuity and creativity. Individuals must be permitted by governments to engage in Free-market Capitalism. Only the individual can learn through their free will and mistakes what will work best for them. One size does not and cannot fit all. Social planning is a trap and a form of slavery. When a population is taught that they should rely on some intellectual bureaucrat to make their life’s decisions for them they will only develop the self-reliance of a slave. And when the bureaucrats fail to provide the services required? Then once again it is the individual who suffers. Never the bureaucratic rulers, after all, they in no way have to sacrifice since they make the rules. Be a self-reliant individual not a slave..."

That's an issue with nearly every single part of our welfare system...while it has a bigger purpose, to help those in times of need, it's abused by far more than actually need it. The system is so broken, no one wants to even try to figure out how to fix it anymore. It's not just unemployment either...name one part of our welfare system that works as intended...you can't... :banghead:

related post I saw yesterday:

"When a collectivist form of government rules a society some individuals develop a lack of initiative. A stifling of creativity will also result. People don’t have to work harder than anyone else as all rewards earned, are shared. Undeniably the incentive is to work less. Productivity is spread equally for all participants regardless of effort. Under collectivism a ruling class of bureaucratic intellectuals structure communities. They decide what a citizen is entitled to possess according to some obscure socioeconomic philosophy. They decide what is best for an individual and what privileges the individual is entitled to. This is a top down ‘for the greater good’ ambiguous justification. They then apply the oppressive powers of the State to reallocate wealth from those who produce to those who don’t. Simply put the collective steals the talent, ingenuity, and hard work of one citizen and gives it to another in the name of social justice. This is morally repulsive, it is theft. Collectivism warps the self-sacrifice of an individual and encourages the notion that it is necessarily a noble act to sacrifice for the greater good of all, regardless of an individual’s desire to achieve. According to the collectivist point of view something created by the individual belongs to the State as the State allows the individual the mechanism of a secure economy with which to create the product, goods, or services. This is obviously false as exchange of goods and services will continue without the benefit of the State. Put in basic terms, people have to eat. Many will profit in the quest for survival through the necessary labor required for their continued existence. The desire to possess another’s wealth as well as to assure that another’s wealth is not greater than one’s own is morally corrupt. This is class warfare. It’s not fair, there is no justification. Collectivism is a philosophy designed to stifle human ingenuity and creativity. Individuals must be permitted by governments to engage in Free-market Capitalism. Only the individual can learn through their free will and mistakes what will work best for them. One size does not and cannot fit all. Social planning is a trap and a form of slavery. When a population is taught that they should rely on some intellectual bureaucrat to make their life’s decisions for them they will only develop the self-reliance of a slave. And when the bureaucrats fail to provide the services required? Then once again it is the individual who suffers. Never the bureaucratic rulers, after all, they in no way have to sacrifice since they make the rules. Be a self-reliant individual not a slave..."

So good that went on FB

You should have told her to call the unemployment office and give his name to the case person doing his benefits... they would have shut him off immediately. you can't turn down work even part time..

This was my thought also. Thanks for posting. I am all about using a support system when required, it is the abuse of the system that I abhor.

Damn you DivrMan, I wish you would never have posted this up.

This sort of feeding frenzy on the tax payer makes my a$$ crochet a barbed wire fence! :flush:

I've never understood it. I was forced on unemployment seven years ago for two months and from memory I was topped out at $260.00 a week. That's like $13500.00 a year and you have to constantly seek employment and fill out applications. I don't remember all the crap you have to do. Min Wage takes you to $16600.00 a year on a 40 hour week. I guess a lot of folks are working side jobs and being paid under the table.

This country needs a major recovery.

im sure there are a few people that really benifit from unemployment who have been laid off and are looking long and hard to find another job to replace the job they had but the reality is extending it another year only serves to promote the LAZY and their sense of entitlement in this country.

thats just great! while the LAZY sit on their ass and collect the rest of us have to go out and work to support them....:whistle: and now our government just made it easier for them to continue. wat a an absolute joke our government is!

every single person I know that was issued unemployment used it till the very last month (2 years later) and then went out and found a job. some even a better job then they had! imagine that!

the few others I know who were not granted unemployment miraculously found a new job within a month after losing their previous one. amazing!!!!!:whistle:

unemployment does not work! people just find work under the table and still collect while the rest of us support them and their vacation expenses. makes me sick!

I found myself on UE many years ago. It was not something I wanted to do but really had no choice at the time but I do recall that they MAX you could get then from NC was 1600/month (400/wk). That didnt cover the mortgage and car payment and needless to say wasnt even close to what ONE paycheck was when I was working let alone both checks combined. My situation was one where I had burned the candle at both ends and the middle, it cost me a lot of things including the girlfriend at the time so I took about a month to just regroup, sleep, catch up and between UE and savings I was "OK" and I had to prove that I was applying for jobs and interviewing to get my checks. Thankfully I found a job about 6wks into it and even though it was 1/2 what I made before at the time, it was still 4x what UE was paying! There was no way I could have survived on UE though so either its gone up a TON or folks are doing something to fill the gap OR they are just assuming that the bank will take 18months+ to kick them out or take their stuff.

I'm all for the support when someone needs it but UE was designed to be limited for a reason. I think extending it simply creates more issues than it solves and honestly if you can't find a job then you should start selling your crap to support yourself and family instead of letting the banks come repo it all. Too many people live entirely beyond their means and are not willing to reduce their standard of living because they figure they'll just keep milking the benes.

I'm all for the support when someone needs it but UE was designed to be limited for a reason. I think extending it simply creates more issues than it solves and honestly if you can't find a job then you should start selling your crap to support yourself and family instead of letting the banks come repo it all. Too many people live entirely beyond their means and are not willing to reduce their standard of living because they figure they'll just keep milking the benes.
thats hitting the hail right on the head there!

It's like bankruptcy - why in the world are individuals allowed to file for it over and over and frickin' over again?? It's supposed to be the final "out" when you are about to lose it all, but our system is set up to allow people to live wayyyyyy beyond their means over and over again, and there's always a way to get bailed out at the end. I know people that have filed multiple times, and each and every time they end up in a NEW house and bought a NEW car...meanwhile, here in the real world, the rest of us work for what we have, as it should be. I was raised to believe that filing for bankruptcy was the absolute LAST thing you ever wanted to do, but it was there if you ever needed it. It's not supposed to be a way of life...what happened to people WANTING better for themselves?? What happened to caring about doing for YOURSELF? :banghead:

THAT is what's truly wrong nowadays...people will always find the loopholes and take the easy way out, but wasn't there a time, long ago, when Americans WANTED to be responsible and strive and thrive? What in the hell happened?? Where's WWJD when you need him - it's moral decay... :banghead:

It's like bankruptcy - why in the world are individuals allowed to file for it over and over and frickin' over again?? It's supposed to be the final "out" when you are about to lose it all, but our system is set up to allow people to live wayyyyyy beyond their means over and over again, and there's always a way to get bailed out at the end. I know people that have filed multiple times, and each and every time they end up in a NEW house and bought a NEW car...meanwhile, here in the real world, the rest of us work for what we have, as it should be. I was raised to believe that filing for bankruptcy was the absolute LAST thing you ever wanted to do, but it was there if you ever needed it. It's not supposed to be a way of life...what happened to people WANTING better for themselves?? What happened to caring about doing for YOURSELF? :banghead:

THAT is what's truly wrong nowadays...people will always find the loopholes and take the easy way out, but wasn't there a time, long ago, when Americans WANTED to be responsible and strive and thrive? What in the hell happened?? Where's WWJD when you need him - it's moral decay... :banghead:

"Change"......& not for the better!

I did not read the entire post...the benefit is being abused and was intended for different circumstances than john doe out of work today...for all good intent and purpose a ready to work person should be drug free and hungry for a skilled job...what is bad news is so many jobs are paying very little...skilled trades should get what they deserve...made in the USA means manufacturing, sales, and pumping the economy

Back