Extended swing arms...  is it necessary?

Doc_Busa

Donating Member
Registered
Just curious if it is "necessary" to run an extended swingarm with a turbo bike? I am removing the 6-12" arm from mine (got it sold already) and installing the OEM. But, many locals are telling me I am insane to run that bike with a stock length arm for risk of flipping it... I would like to get some opinions?

Thanks

Hey Doc, It all comes down to personel preference! Lots of the guys here that have turbos run stock to 6" over. When its time for the track they (without extensions) simply bolt on wheelie bars. Power is power and depending on your unique riding style will dictate to you what works best for Doc. It can be a bit much if you give it everything to quick. But I think just like anything thats new, give it time and you'll adapt.

Well this is a nice topic starter on the boards.

Call me insane but I refuse to extend my 310hp Busa. I keep it geared and high and stock extension. Now if you are drag racing yes extend it. If you have lots of straight roads like you have it will not hurt the performance to extend it, but you do not have to extend it. Next time they do not believe you show them a picture of mine. I am just use to the hadling and performance, it becomes an art to learn how to keep it down. It will come up in 4 gears (maybe 5) if you want it to come up. Now keep in mind that I have many twisties and hoop-de-d0s

Thanks Guys! Monday or Tuesday I am having the stock arm put back on. I was just paid for the extended, so its gotta go! I am still not riding this beast much... I just got the title and need to register it, I was waiting to here some words of encouragment, since registration and sales taxes will cost me around $700 that I would never get back, obviously.

Thanks again!

I think your idea of 2-4 inch extensions would work fine eventially. I saw some extension add ons that looke very nice some time back. They may have even been or this sight.

I love the look of some of the aftermarket arms, but I can not justify the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ for one of these right now :-(

Hey Doc I saw some beautiful 3.5 to 6.0" extensions in the back of one of the cycle magazines. If my memory serves me right they were pretty reasonable. Some had custom engraving on them, when I find the mag I'll post the location here.

On the subject of extended arms, what does everyone think about using lowering links like the ones shown here http://www.hayabusaparts.com/links.htm

I am thinking about going this route and input would be helpful.

-SN
If you are looking at the triple hole set at that link for $40, let me know. I have a set that were on my bike for less than 50 miles. I will sell them to you at a discount. For me, I did not like the bike lowered, period. It looked great, but it felt weird. I am going back to the stock dog bones. Let me know...

Doc

On the subject of extended arms, what does everyone think about using lowering links like the ones shown here http://www.hayabusaparts.com/links.htm

I am thinking about going this route and input would be helpful.

-SN
If you are looking at the triple hole set at that link for $40, let me know. I have a set that were on my bike for less than 50 miles. I will sell them to you at a discount. For me, I did not like the bike lowered, period. It looked great, but it felt weird. I am going back to the stock dog bones. Let me know...

Doc
I might be
rock.gif
Do you have an idea of how much they drop the bike from the standard ride height? And when you say they felt weird, what are you refering to i.e. roll, turning radius, etc.?

Thanks!

Back