Extended swing arm or not??

candygram

Registered
As you may have guessed I am new here. Not new to Busa tho', Husband has a 2000, and I have put too many miles on her for his taste, been told to get my own in fact! A a serious shopper of this lovely machine I have seen alot of extended swing arms out there........ However I am not sure if this would be a good choice for me as I am suspicious that it will change the way she turns into corners.
wow.gif
........ My other bikes are an R1 for track and an Aprillia RSVR, so turn in is important to me, but I really like that longer swing arm, especially if its CHROMED.
Please favor me with your wealth and bounty of information, I know I am uninformed - so please enlighten me!
1zhelp.gif

Thank you!
Cindy

Gotta decide what you want it for. It will slow down your turn in but great for drag racing

What I want it for..lets see, Not to drag- except of course if I could not help myself (could happen at the odd stoplight).... as a distance commuter and of course pleasure riding will be her main job.... since I am very fond of a twisty road I am asking for an education on swing arm "dynamics".
Is 4" over too much? Will it make her turn like a slug in a sweet corner?
Looking for some thoughts.
Thanks
Cindy

I would say even just going 4 over will make the bike handle a lot worse in the twistys.
If your into twisty's that much, I would pass.
Welcome to the board.

On my 2001 Hayabusa, I put a 4" stretched swingarm, I dont think it made it handle much differently. I live in South Florida (11 curves in 318 miles) So I never went on any twisties. but I liked the look.

What I want it for..lets see, Not to drag- except of course if I could not help myself (could happen at the odd stoplight).... as a distance commuter and of course pleasure riding will be her main job.... since I am very fond of a twisty road I am asking for an education on swing arm "dynamics".
Thanks
Cindy
Candy,

I can personally attest to a 4" extension. Anything more will definitely hurt cornering performance. I assume that you have pretty good cornering skills, and 4" will be OK. I went with the swingarm extensions off ebay and had them chromed to match the swingarm. I too love the look, and didn't lose any cornering ability. I've got a few buddies with 4" stretches, and they carve the curves like it's nobody's business. Two are Busas, one is an R1, and the other is a Gixxer 1000. The extensions are a lot cheaper way to go if you want a 4 to approx. 9 inches of stretch. I purchased a set off ebay for $170 and had them chromed. They fit so snugly that most people think that I purchased the swingarm that way. They also have the nice little Suzuki logo engraved in them too. It's all about what you want and how much you want to spend. Good luck!

Unless you want to drag race, or make everyone think you do (which is known as posing where I come from) there is no need to extend the arm. It will slow your steering down, but will allow you to launch a lot harder. If you are planning on commuting/twisty riding, a stock arm will be fine.

You guys are wonderful! Especially bacharles, nothing like a personal testimonial. Yes I do love a curvy road!
Some of the used Busas' I have been looking at do have swingarm extensions,
biggrin.gif
I just did not want to commit is if was going to be a real negative. I do confess I am a sucker for chrome....... I know it does not make it go faster but it sure does look nice! Easy to clean too.
Remember I am going for a second Busa here, been asked to stay off Hubbys' girl..... so used is my way to go.

Bolt-on extensions are easily removed if the handling is not to your liking, but keep in mind that the only two reasons for them are drag racing and posing, so attempt to find out a prospective bike's history.......Not that drag racing is bad for a bike, mine runs just fine, but there's no need to get one set up for racing if you're not gonna use it that way......

Thanks
Cindy
No DO NOT EXTEND IT. Maybe later. I do not even extend my Green Dragon Turbo with 320hp because I ride a lot of curves in New England. If you have all straight roads like in FL. you can do it.

Not looking to extend it, actually some of the bikes I have looked at have it already done. How easy is it to remove bolt on extensions? Aside from shortening the chain.... If its chromed am I correct in assuming it will be scratched/worn/rubbed where the extension was in place?
Yeah I know I'm stupid, but questions can save alot of heartache.
Thanks.
Cindy

Not looking to extend it, actually some of the bikes I have looked at have it already done.  How easy is it to remove bolt on extensions? Aside from shortening the chain.... If its chromed am I correct in assuming it will be scratched/worn/rubbed where the extension was in place?
Yeah I know I'm stupid, but questions can save alot of heartache.
Thanks.
Cindy
If you are looking for a bike stay away from the extensions. Not that they are all going to be bad but look for a stocker. Yes you would have to do the chain and most likely the sprockets. As others have said it will be a little more run hard.

Back