Explain rebound and compression...

MeatGrinder

Registered
I have read about damping a few times and I swear its never explained well enough. This is what I have: The compression is when the tire hits a bump and the shock/fork is compressed. Rebound is the return to "uncompressed state".
Now, lets say I want a softer, cushier ride. Would I just soften both rebound and compression damping all the way? I'm guessing I'd soften the compression so the shock goes uo easier, but harden the rebound to return the shock as fast as possible so its ready for the next bump. Am I screwed up?
I hope someone can explain this.

You have the basic theory down correctly, though your example is not correct. If you are setting a vehicle up for a softer ride, it will allow fairly quick compression with slow rebound. This will not make the shock ready for the next bump quickly. That is why you can't successfully race your grandpa's Buick in the Baja 1000....

The rate of compression or rebound at which a shock will be set to has a lot to do also with other factors such as suspension travel, static center of gravity and a bunch of other complicated shid....

Getting back to your original question, the relationship of compression and rebound, the way I have heard it best explained, they will generally be set opposite to each other.

High performance = slow compression, fast rebound, & bruised kidneys

Plush Ride = fast compression, slow rebound, & poor performance, but happy kidneys.

<!--EDIT|HeliBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115821460 -->

Cut and pasted straight from my "Jinkster Attacks Suspension" post in Technical/Modifications...

"First one must understand that springs are springs and damping is damping...as follows...

Springs: only serve to support the bike and riders "sprung weight" but must be of the proper compression rate to "Optimize and Maximize The Suspensions Effective Working Travel".

Damping: yeilds a fluid feel to what is a mechanically spung suspension but it's primary purpose and use is to "Control Wheel/Spring Velocity" on a vertical plane in both directions of compression and rebound."

Turning those compression/rebound screws "Inward" "INCREASES STIFFNESS & DAMPING EFFECT" because you are gradually CLOSING UP the hydraulic bypass ports in your suspensions internals via "graduated clicks".

Turning those same srews "Outward" opens up the hydraulic bypass ports which serves to "DECREASE THE STIFFNESS & DAMPING EFFECT" because you are now OPENING UP the hydraulic bypass ports in your suspensions internals via "graduated clicks".

I hope that helps.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

So, for "Plush Ride":
compression out(counter-clockwise)= for fast compression(less damping).
rebound out(counter-clockwise)= for slow rebound(less damping).

Is this correct?

If I understand it,

rebound out CCW = faster rebound because the hole is less restricted so the fluid can come out faster as the spring decompresses.

I think you're right. For slower rebound I want MORE damping.
Okay...lemme try an be a tad clearer by wording it in even simpler terms...

Opening up the screws (CCW) opens up the "BYPASS PORTS" thereby LESSENING the damping affect. ='s "PLUSHER"

Closing down the screws (CW) closes up the "BYPASS PORTS" thereby INCREASING the damping affect. ='s "STIFFER"

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Back