Expiring Marriage License - yea or nea?

Should marriage licenses expire like all others?

• yes

Votes: 35 53.0%
  • no

Votes: 31 47.0%

• Total voters

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
at lunch, we were joking about gay marriage [Iowa], my idea of marrying a random single female stranger just for tax benefits, and divorce, and my buddy said, "Maybe marriages should be term limited like the presidency" We laughed then thought it was a great [sickly modern] idea! Think about it:

- Divorce is OVER 50% now meaning on the whole, marriage thing is a failure
- the shorter licenses cost more than the longer licenses, giving the state more money
- they would automatically expire after purchased term UNLESS you renewed it in time. less hassle.
- license renewal every few years is another source of income for state
- prenup is automatic with short term licenses
- less "cheating" since licenses would have expired anyway
- you could get out of it by simply "forgetting to mail the renewal" ;)
- your car, dog, hunting, fishing, boating licenses all expire why not marriage
- less stress for everyone

What do ya think?
divorcecake.jpg

so we are asking the government to save us from the bad choices we make?

isn't it easier just to "not" get married?

Make them expireable/renewable. It would be another fantastic way to TAX ordinary citizens for ordinary things. It is a sign of the times that divorce is so prevalent. We are no longer under the veil of societal pressure contrary to 50 years ago. TAX people because they want to be free.

Good point, projekt. Why is government invloved with love and marriage anyway? Because they can be? Knida makes me think.... since living together costs nothing, we could get married mentally, spiritually, emotionally, and biblically and SKIP the whole government side of it. Forget them. If they ask, we are just living together. Maybe there IS hope for me to fit in to this twisted world after all. In my own twisted way :)

Last edited:
Good point, projekt. Why is government invloved with love and marriage anyway? Because they can be? Knida makes me think.... since living together costs nothing, we could get married mentally, spiritually, emotionally, and biblically and SKIP the whole government side of it. Forget them. If they ask, we are just living together. Maybe there IS hope for me to fit in to this twisted world after all. In my own twisted way :)

Nah...you're just being optimistic! :laugh: The gov't'll find a way to tax ya for that as well.

:beerchug:

where does one sign up for this.. LOL I could have been single a long time ago.. LOL He'd say the same thing by the way.. LMAO

WHy exactly do I need permission from the government to get married at all?

it is a bit hypocritical to ask "why do i need the governments permission to get married".....then take advantage of all the government funded perks of being married.

it is a bit hypocritical to ask "why do i need the governments permission to get married".....then take advantage of all the government funded perks of being married.

I am not married, I am just asking the question. But since you brought it up why is the government giving perks for getting married?

Not in favor. If a couple decides to split, but dos not go through all the divorce proceedings rather they just let the license lapse. If there are innocent children involved, temporary orders and then final orders need to be in place for the consistency of the child. With an expendable license, custody is at stake.

naw... because if I was SKIPPING the governments involvement, I would be saying bye bye to any tax benefits... can't write off a legal marriage that isn't there.

If you can live together free [yeah yeah ignore that common law crap] without a license exactly as if you were married, why PAY to involve a faceless, mechanical 3rd party? I thought marriage was telling the one you love, you want to be theirs exclusively for the rest of your life, infront of god, and your families. When did it turn into a legal hassle with licenses, paperwork, forms to fill out and the witness of a heartless, couldn't care less justice of the peace? Does all this make me a hippy wannabee?

i think someone beat you to the idea :laugh:

InventionDB Project Database : Marriage License with Expiration Date

OPDB #1275
By Frankie L. Taylor
website '>
entered August 14, 2006

Description: An optional term-limit Marriage License which is valid for 2/5/10 year increments. The License automatically terminates upon the expiration date.

The License is governed by Regulations of the State of Issue and covers the division of assets, residence, alimony, pension, child custody/support.

Upon termination the parties can separate without divorce. The license may also be renewed at that time. The State of Issue may charge fees for renewals and transfers. Heavy penalties are applied to both married parties for the early termination of the license.

+1 If you don't have it before you get married them how is marraige going to justify you're LOVING relationship? Marraige in the modern day is an an inffectiouce idea. It's kinda addictive? Cigarettes, beer, drugs? The relationship is between two individuals. Otherwise its about money and stuff. A marraige licience is just a legal document that makes it easier to split up your stuff.
I say tax the hell out of it. Give people a choice. A lifetime onetime costs with a reasonable price. With a high penalty with default or one with a high cost that has some wiggle room.
I know it's government meddling but look at the cost and time waste it causes the court system and public.
Our Judges need to be preciding over cases that actualy help people.

As far as Gay marraige goes....???? I suppose everyone has the right to be misserable. I just don't understand why we need that many more ???????? in our court system?
?????????

Back