Expert Turbo People: Turbo Busa built for Mountain Twists and long HOT fast rides?

JeffShoots

Registered
I have searched and found little on a good cornering Turbo Hayabusa...It's not possible?

Hi, My name is Jeff and I'm a Turboaholic.
Most my cars from an NSX, 3rd Gen RX-7 to H1, and M35 have turbos.
Now I've been riding Bikes from dirt bikes as a kid to street bike at 17 years old, GSXR 750 was the first Street bike in 1988, 6 bikes later I now have a full race "Thunder class" from the '01-'04 GSXR 1000 "Hooters Bike".

I just bought an '05 Hayabusa W/ 22k miles on it last week and have put 3k+ miles on it already. Love the torque, easy riding, and less shifting in and out of corners.

New to your board and the people seem great. I bought a few things from some folks here and after talking to a few seems like I get some great roads to ride being in North California.

I bought the bike in Reno Nv. It's high milage 22k and being a 48 state bike seemed like a good project to start with.

As I stated riding here in Nor-Cal we have great roads but high temperatures...when riding the bike home from Reno it was mid 70's to 110 on the blacktop with 500 to almost 5000 feet in Altitude change.

The ride from Reno is about 400 miles and easy at 110 to 150 MPH, long sweeping corners, you can see in most areas 1/2 to a mile so safe to pass...easy ride but hot with "Air" type gear on. I always ride with gear, air Jacket, pants, Sidi Air boots, gloves, and a good helmet...Have been down a few times...It hurts :banghead:

On to the bike build: Would like to do a naked front with an GSXR tail.
Light is right? So any good ideas for a light bike would be great.
Also open up the front area to cool the bike?
Suspension and Brakes will be upgraded first.
Ohlins front W/Radial Brembo Brake Setup front end and '08 swing-arm W/Ohlins rear shock and small Brembo rear brake?

Now knowing the Altitude change for the Ride from home to the Coast on Highway 36 "Known as one of the best Motorcycle roads in the world", Lassen Park, or Burney ride is 4500 feet in change also the HEAT ~100 Degrees with low Humidity.

What is the most reliable, coolest running, quickest spooling, smoothest turbo setup?
Would like to run pump gas. No secondaries (If possible) with as full computers and extra crap that can fail.

"I DO NOT WANT A DYNO QUEEN"
What would you do to the motor? Low compression Pistons and rods good idea, MORE OIL deep pan?

Looking at Hahn, RCC, McXPRESS, ect

Long post I know, Thank you for your time, Jeff

BTW: I have always used Air to Air Intercoolers and would think the Naked, street fighter bike style would be a good way to cool the intake charge? But only see them from companies in Europe?

Re: Expert Turbo People: Turbo Busa built for Mountain Twists and long HOT fast rides

I know that was my first post but I have been a member here from 2008.
I've been reading, lurking from a ride on a Stage 1 setup W/ a long swingarm I got to ride and always wanted to build my own for my riding style.

Here is a short Vid from somebody's ride on HYW 36 so you can see the long sweeping corners I ride almost every weekend:

[video=youtube_share;1QzORzrVgh4]http://youtu.be/1QzORzrVgh4[/video]

Re: Expert Turbo People: Turbo Busa built for Mountain Twists and long HOT fast rides

u want a turbo bike to carve corners with and hit the twisties and take long HOT rides? u should do a little more research. ull end up in the woods....

u want a turbo bike to carve corners with and hit the twisties and take long HOT rides? u should do a little more research. ull end up in the woods....

Could be...Like I said "good cornering Turbo Hayabusa...It's not possible?

I ride with Crazy Mike on his Modded ZX14. The last 2 weekends I rode the Busa and I kill him in the corners, sweepers, and straight but I think that's just my extra time in the seat and track day classes. BUT He is catching up!

I should mention I have a few Turbo bits from projects but they are too big for what I think I want, GT35r, GT40r, 50 Tial Swing gate, controllers, RC Injectors, and such.

I ride my GSXR 1K more...Yosh did most the work but Moto Extreme built the bike first, Spondon Swing, race wheels, and light Ti everything to all the bolts...under 400lb and fast. Here it is just after a repaint:
BIKE2.jpg

well thats the first Hooters bike ive ever seen

well thats the first Hooters bike ive ever seen

Back when they raced FAST Superbikes... unfortunately Infinion (than Sears Point) was too fast a track with no Chicane on the back straight but I think Laguna Seca sealed the end to unlimited bikes: AMA Honors Jamie

Looks Like Brock's is sponsoring them now: Brock's Performance & Team Hooters | Ultimate Motorcycling

You need to go to the ROAD Racing Track ???

ive had plenty of liter bikes for the twisties and would never consider putting a Turbo on a bike I planned on corner carving with. street bike going straight for the most part YES. road racing track bike hell NO.

"I have searched and found little on a good cornering Turbo Hayabusa"..... there is a reason you have searched and found nothing.....:whistle: road racing cornering bikes and Turbo's dont go together. never have, never will.

sure you can keep ur WB short and still handle well but if Turbo's were a great benifit on a bike built for handling you would see them on every Isle of Man bike. there is a reason NONE of them have Turbo's.

liter bikes have higher compression motors for a reason. why would you want a low compression motor for coming out of corners like a turd? ???

ive had plenty of liter bikes for the twisties and would never consider putting a Turbo on a bike I planned on corner carving with. street bike going straight for the most part YES. road racing track bike hell NO.

"I have searched and found little on a good cornering Turbo Hayabusa"..... there is a reason you have searched and found nothing.....:whistle: road racing cornering bikes and Turbo's dont go together. never have, never will.

sure you can keep ur WB short and still handle well but if Turbo's were a great benifit on a bike built for handling you would see them on every Isle of Man bike. there is a reason NONE of them have Turbo's.

liter bikes have higher compression motors for a reason. why would you want a low compression motor for coming out of corners like a turd? ???

GNBRETT, YOUR MAKING ME SAD :dunno:

I did a lot of reading on this site and was convinced Busa's were not just the GSXR's fat ugly cousin! I've got a ZX14 to ride with weekly and that bike can pick the wheel up out of corners :banghead:

I've been a Suzuki Guy for too many years to just say quit...I did talk with "GoldenChild" and he did say a quick spooling turbo with an air/air IC would work.
Now I know most RACE Organizations won't allow Forced Induction but I don't know about the "Isle of Man TT" but always wanted to go watch.

Now I have to sellout and go Kawi :please:
The Busa can't be a true Hooligan Bike? I don't need to go over 160 so I would think short gears and power are what I need. I've read that big CC stroked Busa's heat soak? So a Turbo is a logical choice but riding style will have to differ keeping 4k and up (like I don't do that now W/ my 1K) to spool the turbo and help keep the power smooth?

BTW: Some idiot in Europe makes money doing wheelies and going 200MPH in traffic ???

Turbo and twisties?...No problemo..You just need to invest in proper braking suspension setup to support it!...I mean yeah turbo bikes with stock suspension and brakes is just asking for trouble or worse!

ZX-10 would be my choice if ur more concerned about handling but want to rip. they make 200 hp and weigh like 400 lbs.

its a versatile bike. can be a corner carver or a fast ass track bike or drag bike. I seen em go 156 mph with minimal mods. lightweight guys go 8's pretty easily

I think there is a NLR intercooler....I saw a pic and cannot find it again now..either way they have go fast parts that may interest you

ZX-10 would be my choice if ur more concerned about handling but want to rip. they make 200 hp and weigh like 400 lbs.

its a versatile bike. can be a corner carver or a fast ass track bike or drag bike. I seen em go 156 mph with minimal mods. lightweight guys go 8's pretty easily

Dude, I've ridden them all, zx10, zx14, New R1, and the latest Duck LE got a friend owns Apex Brewery he's got 34 bikes in one shop but more at his house.

Being 6'4" and 225lbs I have to ride a big bike...Why I've kept the 01'-03' style 1k GSXR after that they keep making bikes smaller and smaller.

I have a 120" custom Chopper with a huge rear tire almost 10 foot long...I have the right bikes for me just want to improve the Busa.

Maybe you just ride straight lines in Connecticut but we turn here in the north West.

I think there is a NLR intercooler....I saw a pic and cannot find it again now..either way they have go fast parts that may interest you

That's the name "NLR" I think it's the same from McXPRESS or they use the same core but I don't see any from a US manufacture like RCC...Maybe somebody knows RCC they advertise here.

Might be a slower response with an Air to Air IC as the air has to push from 1 side to the other...Or pressure loss?

Thanks Man, and yes first suspension, brakes than make it fast :cheerleader:

Back