Exhaust Questions (slip-on vs. full system)

OB_DEWEY4

Registered
I was pricing slip ons today and I was quoted $650 for Yosh carbons. Is this a fair price and how do they sound compared to others? Then I was told that a full system would only run another $300 over the slip ons. What else must be done to the bike for it to accept a new system and what's the estimated cost to do so? Also are there any full systems that keep the dual cans, I like the dual look on a big bike. I'm not so concerned about HP gains since I figure 160 or so is plenty for now. I am mainly looking to make the bike sound as tough as it truly is.

Geez Dewey go do some research---i.e. look at the last 30 days of posts! Everything you've asked is covered w/i the last month.

Two brothers make a dual can complete system.
They will also tell you it produces less gains than a single system....

Thanks a lot 'lantabusa, you were so much help. First off, other boards I've been a part of in the past haven't had the search option. Then I waded through tons of bull sh_t about 4-2-1 systems, which I don't care about. When I did find info on Yosh equipment it wasn't carbon slip-ons, so it told me nothing about the sound produced compared to others or if this local shop is giving me a fair price on them or not. I was just trying to be a little more efficient about getting the info I needed, so I figured I would ask some knowledgeable people on the topic. Plus no one is required to reply to any post. You could have just passed it by. THANKS! GEEEZ!

STU, thanks for the info on the Two Bros system.

If anything I say is wrong about this topic, please correct me as I'd love to know:

I want a 4-2 system. My impression is that all the full systems which reduce 10 to 20 lbs pay a price: They're really LOUD! The pics I've seen on previous lists / boards show that the stock tubes which join at the cylinder exhaust have holed metal linings which I assume cut down on noise but add weight.

For this reason I'll settle for slip-ons, polished aluminum or stainless for preference. I'd actually love a full polished system, but don't think there's any option that wouldn't be race-track loud.

I also have a question about the two bros oval slip-ons: The only set I've seen seemed to have been designed to angle away from the tire as they flow back (quite wide apart at their ends), and the ground ( The ovals aren't parallel but lean toward each other at their top side). I want a pair that's parallel, both from the top view, and the back. Any advice?

Thanks.

Dewey,

I like the dual-can look too and Two Brothers is the only vendor I found selling it. Check their web site (www.twobrothers.com). They claim the exhaust drops 14 pounds from stock, sounds more throaty than their single-can system. The dual system delivers more HP than stock but not as much as the single system. Overall, it seems like a good compromise.

Ignore 'lantabusa. You can see why they ran him off LABusas.

[This message has been edited by Mambo Kid (edited 01 August 2000).]

I have the Yosh stainless RS3s they have a good note and add about 2-3 hp. I bought them used from Dirty Pete for $270 and were in excellent shape so due some checking on a used pair many people have been going to 4 into 1s so that may be worth a few inquiring posts.
Mike

Dewey: There are other sytems that are made for our bike, which are dual cans and the sound is fantastic.

Do yourself a huge a favor and call Bob or Sherry @ Extreme Cycle (614-237-6304). They have every exhaust made and the best prices anywhere.

Tell them Jeff sent you.

See ya.

I recently purchased a 'busa, and was looking into aftermarket exhausts. I decided to just go with carbon fiber slip-ons, as I didn't feel like getting a PCII at this time. There are many companies that make carbon fiber slip-ons for the 'busa: Muzzy, Two Bros, D&D, & Micron among them. I just ordered the Micron slip-ons. A friend of mine has one on his VFR, and loves it. It sounds great, and is a really good quality pipe. The Micron people were extremely helpful when I was asking them questions over e-mail. The pipes should be here this week, I'll give a more detailed report.

To save lots of money and for the sake of the warranty, I went with V&H S4 Ti oval "slip ons". I think they look good on the bike, and improve the exhaust note (but still not too loud). The mufflers are "race" straight thru cans and I kind of like the way the flanges couple to the stock system.

Here's the rub . . .

I was trying to avoid "remapping" the ecm also, but with the new cans, I think it is unavoidable. There have been a lot of post about the so-called off idle stumble or some are calling a "surge" problem. Probably any aftermarket exhaust will make this condition even more noticeable, so much so that you will find it very annoying.

So plan on around $650 for the exhaust and another $350 for the PC-II . . . or leave the stock exhaust alone and save a grand.

Back