Exhaust question

bluebusa05

Registered
I saw a kid riding the other day on a busa and he had taken his pipes and polished mids off and put on perforated exhaust tips like u would see at auto zone or somehting.

I was thinkin bout doing it on my busa but i wanted to see how bad it was for the bike first as far as the engine, back pressure, power loss and akll that good stuff.

Thrasherfox has his cutoff at the mids and has been like that for at least a year "that I know of" and his bike is super strong!

Are you talking about header extenders
rock.gif

what would happen if you were to run those header extensions on a stock bike without a PC3? just run a bit rich?

From what I understand, if they have baffles you can get a map to make it work.

Again, not a mechanic.

thrasherfox has 6" mid pipes with a angle cut on them no cans
race.gif
he has a PC

The bike runs great...he hasn't been using the cans for over a year and a half
SHOCKED.gif

But he has a PC3, which is why it would run fine. Without the PC3 to correct for the lose of backpreasure how would it run? Spit and sputter and ruin your pistons?

It runs better with the PC...he ran it without the PC for 6 months or so...it still ran fine  
beerchug.gif
 the stock header is enough restriction to keep the valves from burning.

Ask Lamb or Devil Dog...we've all ridden with thrasherfox
wink.gif

did it spit and sputter on him at low rpm's? I assume it would. Did it ever smoke in those 6months? Need more details! lol
laugh.gif

jesus are you seriously considering this? i would NOT run the risk of f,ing up my bike by doing that. we aint ridin dragsters, which brings me to my next thought....... im just gonna say, if it blows fire out the tips im gonna do it..... i know i just contradicted myself in the same paragraph but fire is cool go ahead
flamethrowingsmiley.gif

It ain't gonna hurt the bike, there is no risk. Running the bike with no headers is not a good plan, it will prolly drop a valve, but other than that, your good. I have been known to pull the can to show our Harley buddies what a loud bike is supposed to sound like........

Back