Exhaust Mods

jamieprater2

Registered
WARNING - HMF Engineering – poor fit, poor customer service. DO NOT BUY! PASS THE WORD. TELL EVERYONE.
I had a clearance fit problem with the #1 head pipe for my 2006 Hayabusa, crushing the cooling hose and HMF would not resolve the issue. You should not have to zip tie or wire the lower fairings together. It should not flatten the cooling hose to fit. The #1 head pipe is too far outboard (left) by approx. 1". HMF sent me a second #1 pipe that was still 3/8â€￾ to 3/4â€￾ too far outboard and it still crushed the cooling pipe when the fairing was installed. I re-designed the pipe, a second time, and sent all the info to HMF and they still would not replace my defective pipe with a good pipe. Even after all the pictures that proved that their pipe was bad they would not admit they had a problem and they said it was a install problem. After the second defective pipe, HMF refused to work with me and they refused to admit that they had a manufacturing defect. Their answer was to return it for a full refund or wait another month for a new pipe. Neither was acceptable since my bike had already been down for 3 weeks and they did not offer to pay for all the shop hours required to re-install my stock system so I could get my daily commuter back out of the shop while I waited for a new pipe or a different system to be delivered. I ended up modifying the #1 head pipe to make it fit, at my expense and it was out of the shop that day. I posted this info on their website but they just deleted everything I posted to cover up the issue and they banned me from their website.
I filed a complaint with the better business bureau against HMF.
JAMIE
<span style='color:firebrick'></span>

post-52-02136-welcome.gif
, lets see some pics of this action.

I am realy interested in the pics if you got them. Sorry to hear about your trouble bro.

I installed my HMF high mounts myself no shop and I had only one problem there was 6 inches of snow outside once I got it back together!!! I think they maybe correct with installer problem, if the shop is use to installing other systems and not HMF they could have a problem as with all HMF systems you have to rotate/twist the different parts while everything is loosely fitted to the bike to get it all to line up correctly. The HMF is a high flowing system with large smoth bends that does cause problems for the novice installer. I am glad you were able to make it fit as I am sure you are glad too.
Good luck and welcome to the .org
beerchug.gif

I think it was an HMF that DR1300 had. He put it on, it fit like shid. He boxed it up and sent it back. Now he runs nothing but yosh.

No, it was definitely not an install issue. It was a design/manufacturing defect in the #1 head pipe. The shop installing it did everything that HMF suggested and it still crushed the cooling hose. There was no way that pipe was going on without a re-desgin and modification.

Slide4.JPG

Me thinks we need to hear from previous installer/owners on this pipe clearance issue. I recall hearing about fit-up problems but not this particular one. Anybody???

Looking at your last photo I can see a potential "fix" for the problem. Get a longer hose and run it above the bend in the pipe. A little foil tape on the inside of the fairing for heat reflection just to be safe too. Just my $0.02

I'd like to hear if there are more problems too. Maybe mine was the one out of 100 that was a bad part off the production line and all the rest were good. The point I want to point out is that HMF sent me a second pipe that was better, but still f#$%ed up and we called them numerous times, sent them pictures and they walked us through the install and it still did not fit. Yet, they refused to admit it was a bad part and said that we just did not want to listen to them. But, wait, we had already done everything that they said and nothing worked, but according to them it was our fault. Why? We did everything they said. They just refused to listen to thier customer. Their fix was to zip tie the lower fairing together so as to not crush the cooling hose.
Jamie

I'm certainly no expert at exhaust design but keep in mind.....that pipe is meant to be a very exacting shape/length for performance reasons. I'm a bit baffled on this one as I have not heard this particular problem previously. Have they changed the header shape for 07?

(newmill @ Feb. 12 2007,12:32) I'm certainly no expert at exhaust design but keep in mind.....that pipe is meant to be a very exacting shape/length for performance reasons. I'm a bit baffled on this one as I have not heard this particular problem previously. Have they changed the header shape for 07?
This is puzzling to me also. My bike's at home but I don't recall clearance with that hose being an issue at all. I've had my HMFs for over 6,000 miles with no issues at all.

(GSXTacy @ Feb. 12 2007,11:16) I think it was an HMF that DR1300 had. He put it on, it fit like shid. He boxed it up and sent it back. Now he runs nothing but yosh.
I bought a HMF for my 2003 AE put it on which was not a easy task at all by the way, and took it right back off do to LOUSY fit LOUSY finish.. I then boxed it up and sent it back only to be charged 10 per cent restock fee..
mad.gif

I run Yosh now great fit finish and you can call em' and get great customer service..
wink.gif

Puzzling to me as well. I had what I believe to be the easiest HMF install on the board. Everything fit like it was supposed to with no clearance issues. From being here 2 1/2 years, this is the first major problem I have heard/seen about the HMF.

Don

(newmill @ Feb. 12 2007,12:12) Looking at your last photo I can see a potential "fix" for the problem. Get a longer hose and run it above the bend in the pipe. A little foil tape on the inside of the fairing for heat reflection just to be safe too. Just my $0.02
I would be upset if I had spent all that money and then had to "fix" something myself.

The only mod I made was to extend the metal bracket that holds the lower half of the fairings together because I didnt want to install it as HMF had wanted me to because I didnt want them that close to the engine, I wanted more of an air space. Other then that no problems!

Back