Exhaust install

Rylinkus

Registered
Any advice on getting to the header bolts? Maybe it's just that my right arm isn't 100% and my left on is just plain dumb, but I'm aving some issues getting the bolts out of the stock exhaust. I can't imagine how poor a time Im going to have putting the new one on. Any advice is very welcome. Thanks

Did you un-bolt the radiator and move it forward?
Also did you remove the fan?
Don't forget the pair valve block off plates while your there!

Did not remve fan.

And while I'm at it....
Don't forget the pair valve block off plates while your there!??
Details please?

I mean, if there's some sort of walkthru I should be following, please point me that way.

BTW, thoughts on a bike stand anyone? Not having a center stand is really hindering my ability to do anything on this bike.

IMG_0060.jpg

Redlines!

I was slipping a 1/4 drive ratchet extension below the radiator. Still need to loosen the radiator to go that route.
I never even tried to put a wrench in there. Not enough room.

If you dont have the bike on a front stand you wont be able to remove the stock header pipes... not enough ground clearance to do it. Once you take the fan off do yourself a favor and cut a piece of cardboard or what ever and tape it to the backside of your radiator so you dont gash up your knuckles and dent your radiator fins...

The pair valve is that little device mounted on the front of your motor that has the little metal tubes that connect to the head right next to your headers. If you removed the entire valve and lines you will need "block off plates" to cover the holes in the head where the lines connected. The rubber line coming off the pair valve goes to the air box and you will need to plug the air box hole as well. There is alot of info pertaining to all of this stuff... just use the search feature and if all else fails... just ask... plenty of knowledgable people to answer your questions...

Get the b/o plate form deadhead, nobody will see them. No use spending the extra dollars on speacial monogram engravation that nobody will see. If you've already installed the aftermarket exhaust, no worries. You can still remove and install the b/o plates with the exhaust installed. You will still need to remove/move the radiator forward and maybe take the pairvalve apart (two bolts) to squeeze it out of the exhaust. This is a must if you want to eliminate the back fire (or post fire actually) of the aftermarket addition. ENJOY

Ok, well off to buy a front stand then. Anything I should be looking for in particular? Honestly Im kind of limited as I am in Maine. Ill eventually order something better, but is there any "must have" feature on a bike stand? Honestly this is really all new to me. I've been a car guy and last year got into bikes. This year I have a Busa. I have plenty of tools, but little knowledge in the basics, such as a bike stand and properly utilizing it to hold up a bike. (Probably sounds dumb to a lot of you guys.)

As for the block off plates, I did a little research and have it now. Ill order some. Ill put the exhaust together for now and get my bike ridable. (Hopefully tomorrow and HOPING to ride Tuesday.....) And in a month or so Ill do the block off plates.

And I know there's tons of info on the bike on here. But I really dont know all the terminology to search. Or maybe I do, but dont trust that a header on that bike is called a header and not some other weird name. In anycase, thanks for the info. Ill probably have more random questions tomorrow.

Anyone got a link to this deadhead guy's website or an email addy or something? Maybe Im dumb, but I cant find a post on here by him to PM

Just to let you know... you dont have to remove the pair valve... but if you do you need block off plates. I didnt remove mine when i installed my exhaust and just used a marble to plug the rubber hose that supplies air to the pair valve... its called the "marble mod"... its the hose that connect to the back of the right hand side of your air box.

(Rylinkus @ May 18 2007,23:36) Ok, well off to buy a front stand then. Anything I should be looking for in particular? Honestly Im kind of limited as I am in Maine. Ill eventually order something better, but is there any "must have" feature on a bike stand? Honestly this is really all new to me. I've been a car guy and last year got into bikes. This year I have a Busa. I have plenty of tools, but little knowledge in the basics, such as a bike stand and properly utilizing it to hold up a bike. (Probably sounds dumb to a lot of you guys.)

As for the block off plates, I did a little research and have it now. Ill order some. Ill put the exhaust together for now and get my bike ridable. (Hopefully tomorrow and HOPING to ride Tuesday.....) And in a month or so Ill do the block off plates.

And I know there's tons of info on the bike on here. But I really dont know all the terminology to search. Or maybe I do, but dont trust that a header on that bike is called a header and not some other weird name. In anycase, thanks for the info. Ill probably have more random questions tomorrow.

Anyone got a link to this deadhead guy's website or an email addy or something? Maybe Im dumb, but I cant find a post on here by him to PM
If you're going to buy a front stand you need to have a rear one too.  You can't use the front stand without the rear because you run the risk of tipping if you do.

Deadhead was the way to go in the past, but I don't think they are around anymore, the website doesn't work.

Usually you can get block offs pretty cheap on Ebay...or you can even make them yourself. The point is, just don't spend too much on them, cause noone will ever see them anyway.

You said you had tools and was somewhat handy. Just cut the pipes coming off the head to the pair valve, crimp and braze close.
wow.gif

Very possible on the cut/crimp/weld option. Ill look into options, but step one is getting this exhaust on ATM. And then Ill decide. Of course, maybe Ill have time to decide as I cant find a rear stand in stock anywhere local, so I may be forced to order and wait..... The waiting games sucks.....

Thanks for the help all. That fan moving made ALL the difference in the world. Wow.

I was able to find a rear stand in stock as well. It took a 1+ hour drive, but I worked in a visit to my father along the way, so it was good good Saturday. When installing a new exhaust, does anyone use never seize or something to that effect on the header bolts??

Thanks.
bowdown.gif

i had all the ?'s you have. the org is a great place to find all your answers. i didnt use anti seize on mine but it couldnt hurt going into the aluminum and all.

when you start looking for parts i have found that e-bay, the org or 58cycle are about the best places for quality and price. i found some inexpensive stands on e-bay and they work great. i think i gave about $125 for front/rear and spools shipped.

now you can start your list of never ending mods.
1)exhaust 2)PC3 3) Tre 4) 16 tooth front sprocket 5)dog bones 6)lowering bushings(inexpensive)/triple tree(expensive) 7)lowering strap 8)mirror block offs 9)undertail 10)air shifter 11)nitrous on.....and......on.......and......on we go

oh yeah, dont do like i did and say this is all im doing to it, its fast enough. the busa will make a liar out of you

lowering_012__Small_.jpg

btw...did you put a muzzy blade on the fan while you were in there.....and wire up a switch to it so you can turn it on/off when YOU want to.

darn, there i go again
all_coholic.gif

Didnt do the Muzzy. But that's ok. I ended up with a Handy Stand front and some brand I couldnt find anything on the site for a rear. The rear seems much nicer tho.....

My cars have already proven the speed issue. Upgrade and say that's all Ill need. And then a month later youre looking at stroker kits and superchargers. That's one of the reasons I bought the Busa. I figured it would limit my options for trading into a faster ride. Now it's getting used to the bike and finding need to upgrade ;)

I've got the TRE, exhaust, PC3, and double bubble screen. I'm sure Ill find something else I need tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help guys. At this point I just need to put the fairings back on, which is relatively minor. I just need DR's permission to ride on Tuesday.....

Site sponsor.
link

Oh and dont try to use a front stand only. Put the bike on the rear first. Add the front stand. Now if you want you can take the rear back out for more clearance. But bike seems less stable on just a front.

If you dont have the bike on a front stand you wont be able to remove the stock header pipes... not enough ground clearance to do it. [/Quote]

NOT true...when I first got my busa thats the frist thing I did was change exhaust and I did not have a front stand.....the stand just makes things a little bit easier.

Well at this point I have a front stand, rear stand, and a swapped exhaust. Aside from putting plastic back on the bike, Im done for the moment......

Back