Exhaust help needed please!!!

medic357

Registered
Question I.. OK, here is the situation. i had a 4:1 pipe with a shorty on it. Well, since i did that my bike gets really hot really fast. So im thinking of changing back to my stock headers and going with maybe the Voodoo's. Since this is also a Shorty type exhaust do you think this will have the same affect on the bike?
Question II.. Does anyone have problems with their bike getting hot quick with shorty pipes on. And do you feel that with a 4:2 with voodoo pipes will be ok as far as keeping the bike cooled like its supposed to? I need help if anyone out there knows about this!!!!!!!!!!!

My guess is this exhaust is very free flowing causing your bike to run lean. You probably need to get your ECU edited or get a Power Commander and get your bike tuned for the exhaust system you have.

My guess is this exhaust is very free flowing causing your bike to run lean. You probably need to get your ECU edited or get a Power Commander and get your bike tuned for the exhaust system you have.

++1^^^ Moving more air and not putting more fuel with it....

This is why I love this group. Simone is always able to quickly answer a question and usually without making the op feel stupid for asking. Good question and great answer.

thanks everyone. maybe its was getting hot because i never did anything to the ecu when i switched out to the 4:1. and i don't have a power commander. so maybe i will have to get it reset after i put on the stock headers with the voodoo's. Great insight !!!

Why not get a real pipe, Vodoos are not very good nor they hurt the power, get a real pipe get it tuned and go man go

well, see the problem is i have a custom bike with paint job and you know its kind of weird to regular cans on a custom bike. what kind would you recommend?

well, see the problem is i have a custom bike with paint job and you know its kind of weird to regular cans on a custom bike. what kind would you recommend?

:banghead:

What is more important? How it looks or how mechanically sound it is? I can have the prettiest looking piece of $hit on the planet if I devoted all my time to looks. Hate to say it but you need to get some mechanical knowledge under your belt before you start modding your bike.

I think you would need to run more fuel (rich) to keep cool.
Change Thermostat and Coolant.

Air Filter? Plugs? last changed?

Are you running the oil cooler???? or did you take it off to run the exhaust?:moon:

idling high?

post some pics...

i keep the plugs and oil changed. im not sure how to run the oil cooler. i did however change the fan to a muzzy. And it idles normal...

Your bike should not run hot just because you changed the pipe. I have run many different pipes over the years with no tune, and no problem like that!

I suspect that you may have an air bubble trapped in your cooling system. You need to have someone help you burp the cooling system. When you fill the radiator the first time, the bike needs to be leaned far over on the left side. Sometimes more than you can get by leaving it on the side stand. Have someone fill the radiator up while holding the bike leaned over further. I like to then start the bike and run it until you see the thermostat open. You might lose some coolant with the cap off. Once that happens, turn the bike off and fill it the rest of the way up.

I think that will solve your problem.

Question I.. OK, here is the situation. i had a 4:1 pipe with a shorty on it. Well, since i did that my bike gets really hot really fast.

Another thought... Any chance the fan was left unplugged when the exhaust was installed?

i've flushed the radiator and put in blue ice. i've burped it. The reason i think its getting hot really quick is because i can be sitting beside my homeboy on a busa and my bike could be in red and his is on half. so i figured there was too much back pressure making it get hotter faster.

i was gunna say maybe your fan melted but i noticed you said you put in a muzzy...it was my understanding that the stock fan flows more air tho. My fan kicks on once the needle starts going over the halfway mark and it never goes into the red.

Is the fan working? I can't imagine it being in the red just sitting unless you have been riding in 00 degree weather with traffic for a long period of time?

me either. now im thinking its just the ecu. it may need to be tuned. im wondering if i put a power commander on. what are your thoughts about this?

Back